Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Newbie test bench  (Read 2014 times)

Kateann

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 10, 2020, 10:29:57 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Newbie test bench
« on: November 09, 2017, 12:27:40 pm »
Hello all,

This is my second post and I am learning all about arcade game repair, so bear with me. Thanks!

Maybe I'm not looking good enough or not looking in the right spot but is there any good site which tells you how to set up a test bench/work bench for testing PCB's.

Anyone can help me with that? It's for a beginner... All help is appreciated.

Thank you!

Ann

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2023, 01:46:23 pm
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
Re: Newbie test bench
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 12:43:56 pm »
I think a lot of people just use a supergun for testing. For non-JAMMA PCBs, you'll also need an adaptor to to convert the pinout to JAMMA.

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 12:47:26 pm »
Hello all,

This is my second post and I am learning all about arcade game repair, so bear with me. Thanks!

Maybe I'm not looking good enough or not looking in the right spot but is there any good site which tells you how to set up a test bench/work bench for testing PCB's.

Anyone can help me with that? It's for a beginner... All help is appreciated.

Thank you!

Ann

Most people take all the guts out of a junk cabinet and mount them to a piece of wood or similar. It is pretty easy to get the cab innards from the guys who build/ruin games for 60 in 1 machines. Just look on craigslist for the inevitable multicades, and email a few of the sellers.

17 years in the hobby, been to lots of other guys setups and I have never seen a supergun, nor heard one mentioned for board testing. 
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

Kateann

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 10, 2020, 10:29:57 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 01:07:20 pm »
I'm in Europe, so Craiglist is not an option. Will check out the Supergun. I believe you can buy those converters on MikesArcade?

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 03:22:41 pm »
    I have never found the need (yet) and use the cab itself as the perimeters, Unless you have lots of junk boards around you want to test maybe, But ultimately you are going to find troubles and a good repair station would better serve your needs, My advice would be get yourself a scope, (even small ,cheap, and analog if your on a budget) and learn to use it, that and a good solder station.

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 08:41:17 pm »
I'm in Europe, so Craiglist is not an option. Will check out the Supergun. I believe you can buy those converters on MikesArcade?

Superguns are more of a thing in Europe. Probably want to go that route.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.