Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Help needed with 60-1 controls and monitor issue for cocktail cabinet  (Read 2780 times)

bjames901

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 10, 2017, 07:14:16 pm
Hello and thanks in advance! I just swapped out my ms. pac-man pcb in the original cocktail with a Jamma to ms. Pac-man adapter and a 60-1 board. The left directional does not seem to work with the new setup. I put the pac-man board back in and it works fine. Also can't get the screen to flip to test player 2 side. Any suggestions?

Also, I'm having some color washout/issues, completely redone chassis and monitor, but I think it has something to do with all of the components being close together. When the monitor is opened up/unlatched, the colors look great, but when I bring it back towards the cocktail cabinet I get corners that are sharp, but the middle is washed out. Any suggestions on how to shield it? I think it may have something to do with the speaker placement?

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:45:20 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
Re: Help needed with 60-1 controls and monitor issue for cocktail cabinet
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 10:43:35 am »
Pitch the 60 in 1 board in the trash. Problem solved. You are welcome.

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 12:50:36 pm »
Well, I would sell the 60 in 1 and adapter to some moron, put your original board back in and get one of the many multipac kits out there that use your original board. I suggest Mike Doyle's 96 game kit.

When you buy garbage you get garbage results.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2023, 01:46:23 pm
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 12:55:37 pm »
Think cocktail mode is set in the test screen menus, somewhere. Flip DIP #4 then switch on to access the test screens. Sounds like your pac-to-jamma adaptor may be the cause of the control issue. Look up the Pac-Man and JAMMA pinout and make sure the LEFT pin on the pac side is correctly connected to the LEFT pin on the JAMMA side. Monitor issue could just be that the screen just needs demag/degaussing. Is the degauss coil working? Other than that, it's likely as you say, and the speaker (or possibly a PSU) is causing the issue.

bjames901

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 02:15:50 pm »
Thanks big10p, the only one with useful information. I picked the 60-1 because I didn't want to have to gut or re-wire the original pac-man cabinet and still be able to play some other classics.  I'll give it a shot making sure it is set to the cocktail mode. Can't say if the degauss coil is working or not. Since this monitor was rebuilt, I assume it does work. Just trying to figure out how to shield the monitor from the cpu/speaker so I don't get the fuzzy lines.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:45:20 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 02:25:52 pm »
Pitching the 60 in 1 is good advice. Unless you hate video games. Its emulation is garbage.

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 03:12:11 pm »
I think the 60-in-1 is a great little board. Yes, the sound is bad on some games, but apart from that the emulation is good, IMO. Good value for money. Each to their own though, I guess.

bjames901

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 04:39:15 pm »
Yeah I haven't had enough experience yet to identify if the emulation is bad or not. Just wanted to have access to a few more games and it was cheap enough. So for whatever reason, the left position is working! Not going to ask questions. Left it on upright mode so player two can use the "fire" buttons that are only on side one. I've had issues degaussing before, where it really didn't fix the picture. Any other suggestions on how to shield the monitor from the rest of the cabinet to avoid the discolorations?

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 05:13:18 pm »
Is the speaker the original one? Like I say, it may not be the speaker causing this, though - could be a PSU. A couple of pics of the inside might help to see what's going on.

bjames901

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 12:01:56 pm »
Interestingly enough, when I rotate the cabinet, 180 degrees, I don't get the washed out coloring. Although the coindoor is now to the wall, it's a small price to pay to get a good picture.

behrmr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2021, 09:17:13 am
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 02:18:54 pm »
Interestingly enough, when I rotate the cabinet, 180 degrees, I don't get the washed out coloring. Although the coindoor is now to the wall, it's a small price to pay to get a good picture.

You need to degauss the monitor

Depending on the model you may see it clear itself up over the course of a few days   Most monitors fire their degauss circuit on cold startup.