Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Backlit vinyl artwork.  (Read 2415 times)

lomoverde

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2023, 09:16:34 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Backlit vinyl artwork.
« on: November 08, 2017, 09:43:14 am »
Hello all,very sorry my first post is a question,but i have spent a hell of a long time reading on the forums here.
 Has anyone ever tried backlit sections on sideart on there cab? I first wondered about routing slots straight the wood,refilling with a clear resin sanding smooth again.Any sections of vinyl art placed over these sections would then be illuminated by a light source inside the cab. Am i right in thinking marquee vinyl isnt the same as side art vinyl tho? and light wouldnt filter thru the same.
 Id originally thought of using this on my CP.to illuminate text above or below admin buttons,as an alternative to LED buttons with inlays.
 Then i got to thinking it could be a cool effect on side art,maybe long slots illuminating light sabres on a star wars theme or such.if the slot is 45 degrees so wider inside it could gather more light and focus on the narower section under the graphic.
 Or is this a terrible idea and my first post will be refered to from other bad threads in the future ???

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:37:53 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
Re: Backlit vinyl artwork.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 10:46:21 am »
I kind of did what you are talking about...  although a little differently.  I used a EL tape circle and mounted it to the side, then I used marquee material over that.

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2023, 09:16:34 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 05:02:49 am »
Thanks for the reply.Never thought of the EP tape,even tho iŽd once considered using lazer wire for a project in my bar.The price eventually squashed that one.
 this could definately be used to add 3d forms on a cab.Given me something extra to consider,cheers.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 06:00:44 am »
I have seen it done but the hole was recessed out and some thin polycarb was placed in the hole to allow the light through.
It looked kind of cool tbh.