Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Neo Geo - Converting Dedicated Cab (MAME vs multi)  (Read 2238 times)

csnow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2023, 10:30:54 am
Neo Geo - Converting Dedicated Cab (MAME vs multi)
« on: November 07, 2017, 01:38:11 pm »
I have a dedicated Neo Geo cabinet (two slot) that I wanted to possibly convert to MAME.  I tried the 161 cart but a lot of the audio was bad and the overall presentation just reminded me of the 60-1 boards for which I am just not a fan.  How is MAME with Neo Geo emulation?  Is the quality better than the 161 boards?  I am not a huge Neo Geo fan but there are some fun titles in their libraries.  I never played any Neo Geo games in the arcade but the few MVS titles I have a fun (Aero Fighters 2, a couple of Metal Slugs, and Baseball Stars 2.  I would just buy some more MVS cartridges but wow....people on eBay are very proud of these things.  Is there some sort of cult following with these machines or something?   

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
Re: Neo Geo - Converting Dedicated Cab (MAME vs multi)
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 01:59:15 pm »
Easiest solution is the neosd multicart or wait for the darksoft multicart which should be done soon if not already. If mame is a must, check out my mame neo geo. Just remember that mame cost a lot more than a multicart and it is a project that will never be completely finished.

csnow

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 02:13:25 pm »
Easiest solution is the neosd multicart or wait for the darksoft multicart which should be done soon if not already. If mame is a must, check out my mame neo geo. Just remember that mame cost a lot more than a multicart and it is a project that will never be completely finished.

Thanks for the reply.  Your machine is sweet and is what I was looking to do.

I have been watching the darksoft multi on their forum, but there appears to be no definitive release date anytime soon.  I don't mind waiting, but I would like to know an estimated time frame.  The multi will run north of $400.  I can get a used i5 for around $150 w/memory plus the cost of a 250gb SSD, jpac, and an arcadevga.  That should be less.  Am I missing something?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 02:15:48 pm by csnow »

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 02:37:54 pm »

I have been watching the darksoft multi on their forum, but there appears to be no definitive release date anytime soon.  I don't mind waiting, but I would like to know an estimated time frame.  The multi will run north of $400.  I can get a used i5 for around $150 w/memory plus the cost of a 250gb SSD, jpac, and an arcadevga.  That should be less.  Am I missing something?

Don't do arcadevga. Look in groovymame subforum for crt emudriver and find compatible card. You will also need a sound amp, ecostrip or similar smart strip to turn on accessories and monitor, and any wiring and connectors. Be sure to do it so it's plug and play, retaining oem equipment - or the neo gods will be upset. Don't do that. Neo's are special. ;)

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 02:55:47 pm »
My buddy from RetrowareTV posted a review of the NeoSD cart if you are curious to see what it can do:
! No longer available

Hope this helps!

DeL
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

csnow

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 03:08:57 pm »

Don't do arcadevga. Look in groovymame subforum for crt emudriver and find compatible card. You will also need a sound amp, ecostrip or similar smart strip to turn on accessories and monitor, and any wiring and connectors. Be sure to do it so it's plug and play, retaining oem equipment - or the neo gods will be upset. Don't do that. Neo's are special. ;)

I already have the Arcadevga.  Is there a problem with them and Windows 10?  I didn't figure I need much video horsepower for 15hz resolution.

csnow

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 07:30:29 pm »
I think I found the answer on why not to use the ArcadeVGA with Neo Geo.  The odd Neo Geo resolution and screen tearing.  Correct?

Zipper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2022, 12:32:50 pm
  • I've Built My Own Arcade Controls!!
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 03:23:38 pm »
Does your Neo Geo have illuminated marquees and credit counter? I'd recommend Mame. Even a Core2Duo can do a spot-on job with groovymame and compatible card.
Mame emulates multislot, marquees and coin counter perfectly (capture outputs using Mamehooker). Here's my custom Neo cab which uses Mame... ,
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 03:25:52 pm by Zipper »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 05:20:36 pm »
if you wanna sell that 2 slot board (or trade for a 1 slot + cash) LMK
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

csnow

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 07:32:27 pm »
Does your Neo Geo have illuminated marquees and credit counter? I'd recommend Mame. Even a Core2Duo can do a spot-on job with groovymame and compatible card.
Mame emulates multislot, marquees and coin counter perfectly (capture outputs using Mamehooker). Here's my custom Neo cab which uses Mame... ,

I see you have an LCD in the video.  Are you running an arcade monitor in the cabinet?

if you wanna sell that 2 slot board (or trade for a 1 slot + cash) LMK

I will keep you in mind, but I am thinking of selling the Neo Geo cabinet.  I was a classic arcade dweller in the early 80s', so I don't have any nostalgia or attachment to the Neo Geo games.  The few I like, I can replicated on my other horizontal cabinet.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 07:40:34 pm by csnow »

Zipper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2022, 12:32:50 pm
  • I've Built My Own Arcade Controls!!
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2017, 02:06:14 am »
The cabinet has a 14” crt. The laptop lcd was just for testing that stuff was working.
If you don’t have an attachment to Neo Geo, then you might be able to sell it to Neo fanatics and fund another jamma cab (or 2) with cash to spare for a Mame setup.