Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: why tilted monitors  (Read 598 times)

rackoon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • I EAT PENCILS!
why tilted monitors
« on: November 06, 2017, 06:13:58 pm »
Hey I got a question which I never asked even though I have built 6 cabs, why do we tilt our monitors.

My guess is that when standing we hunch over peering down at a game, But now with everyone using lcd's why the tilt. Is it to just be retro? :dunno

I was playing with a  16 year old who is use to pc games and freaks  out over my tilted screens

I also noticed that the major cabinet companys tilt their screens tool. Wouldnt it be better if they were all flat? ???
They treated me like an animal and that's what I became.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
Re: why tilted monitors
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 09:19:49 pm »
Easier to see up close.

pixel

• Offline Offline
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 09:37:10 am »
Adding to PBJ's comment:

1)  Not everyone is the same Height.

A young kid,  would have a real hard time seeing the monitor... if it was at the height of an adult man... even with a booster stool.

2)  Saved space

Large CRT monitors took up a lot more space in a cabinet.   Angling them reduced the depth... and probably helped with heat dissipation too.

3) Isolation

In older cabinets,  like Ms Pacman... you stand in such a way that the cabinet sides are almost surrounding you.   It not only helped
to amplify and keep the sounds local to your ears... (and helping to keep other sounds out)   But it created sort of a "Blinder" effect...
where you were not distracted by the games / people...etc.. next to you.   It helped with focus,  and escaping the world around you
more completely.   More "Immersed",  in the game / action.

You will notice,  that Showcase Pedestal machines,  used vertical monitors.   Size of the screen + far greater distance away from the display,
changed the height viewing issues.    However,  you also lost that Immersion in the process.   You dont realize how much you miss it... until
its gone...

rackoon

• Offline Offline
  • I EAT PENCILS!
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 10:18:14 pm »
thanks pixel, that covers it pretty well

I am going to tilt my lcd screens still, just because it looks better. Not much though, just about 15 degrees ::)
They treated me like an animal and that's what I became.

megamoze

• Offline Offline
  • Loving my cabinet, built summer 2015
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 03:52:15 pm »
I tilt mine so I can see it better while standing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • RetroPie all the way!
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 11:07:05 am »
Does it matter how much you tilt the monitor? And aren't LCD's less visible at an angle?

pbj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 10:46:12 pm »
Does it matter how much you tilt the monitor? And aren't LCD's less visible at an angle?

ChurchOfSolipsism

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 04:25:20 pm »
Yeah. Also, there's IPS screens which have great viewing angles.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31