Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Anyone ever cover LED strip lights with epoxy under clear t-molding?  (Read 422 times)

80sarcadegames

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Below is a video of a guy that supposedly cut a big groove into his control panel sides,
installed LED light stripping, then covered the LED strip lights with clear resin/epoxy,
then cut a t-molding groove into the resin/epoxy when it dried, then installed the T-molding.

This helped diffuse the lights.

Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_LJ3btCL0k

Looks like this guy is trying to patent or manufacture such an idea:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wLmb9l9fgU

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
Re: Anyone ever cover LED strip lights with epoxy under clear t-molding?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 04:47:53 pm »
Your going to find that most of the folks here aren't the biggest fans of leds on arcade cabinets, at least not over doing them like that.

My 2 cents. It would seem to be the holy grail to be able to have led t-molding that was diffused properly, but I can tell you that cutting that groove and filling it with epoxy is just not worth the time and effort it would take to do that. Its nice to dazzle the eye a little with leds but at the end of the day it should be about the games, not about the spectacle. Beside if the leds ever die your kind of stuck with them being that they are now buried in epoxy...

There are many other ways to use leds in a more subtle way. Such as putting them under the cabinet and/or under the control panel to provide a subtle glow. Having leds lining the entire cab and especially if they are flashing like that is simply a distraction.

I'm working on a driving cabinet right now, I have leds under the cabinet and an led light bar under the marquee. This to me is enough to provide some color and visual interest, but not distract you from actually playing game. which is what this hobby should be about.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 07:30:26 pm »
Do it.  Don't be scared.

rackoon

• Offline Offline
  • I EAT PENCILS!
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 10:32:34 pm »
I got leds under, in the back, on the sides with acrylic lighting bolt, and on the front of the control panel behind a logo and it looks awesome. I looked into the led t-molding or doing what you are talking about and its just too much work for such little results for me  :dizzy:

But I have seen all kinds of bad ass stuff done to cabs on this site. So I agree also. Go for it :applaud:
They treated me like an animal and that's what I became.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 03:38:42 pm »
If someone really wanted to do something like this, do a search for LED NEON.  It could be embedded into the edge of a 3/4" panel, leaving 2mm of material on each side.  It's larger on the outside, so I think it would cover the edge.  It won't look exactly like T-Molding, but no epoxy or silicone required...just a deep 14mm groove and maybe some glue.

matsadona

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 05:48:25 am »
The new Turtles arcade game has lighted t-mold. However it would be nice to have some kind of diffuser, because it looks terrible if you ask me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayM7Q8xnPTs
Building, collecting and playing arcade machines :)

pbj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 10:28:30 am »
Dammit, that new TMNT game looks awesome. 

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31