Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Question with Super Resolutions  (Read 3188 times)

Trnzaddict

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 04, 2024, 02:22:55 pm
Question with Super Resolutions
« on: November 06, 2017, 09:11:05 am »
Hi guys, so I finally picked up a free 27 inch crt with component inputs. I have a Radeon 4650 card in an older pc running win 7. So before I pull the trigger on a 90 dollar retrotek vga to component transcoder, I just wanted to make sure to confirm that Super Resolutions would work on here? While I've been in the emu scene since 1997, I do not know a lot about running emus on real crt tv's.

So if I understand correctly, even though sdtv's are limited to I think 1024x768, they are able to handle ultra wide Resolutions as long as you keep the vertical resolution at 240? This is important to me to merit the switch to the crtemudriver set up instead of my emotia. I am only limited to doubling the native resolution of most consoles on the emotia and most systems have black bars on the side. If I try to stretch the picture horizontally to get a full screen picture I get artifacts due to there not being enough pixels.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 07:11:48 am by Trnzaddict »

Paradroid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 04:50:06 pm
    • SCART Hunter
Re: Question with Super Resolutions
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 01:44:25 pm »
So if I understand correctly, even though sdtv's are limited to I think 1024x768, they are able to handle ultra wide Resolutions as long as you keep the vertical resolution at 240?

Yep, you're correct: the number of lines is the limiting factor. You can up the dot count all your like. Super resolutions work just fine on regular TVs.
My MAME/SCART/CRT blog: SCART Hunter

Trnzaddict

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 04:03:04 pm »
Thanks for the response.

Last question:

Can super Resolutions be used on Retroarch? Because  of its advanced custom scaling features, that will be the primary emu. This is a console only project, I have a dedicated arcade machine already.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 04:16:55 pm »
Super resolutions can be used with Retroarch, of course.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

Trnzaddict

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 05:16:12 pm »
Nice. Just making sure it wasn't a feature exclusive to GM. Ordering the transcoder now!

Thankyou again!

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 06:28:46 pm »
As long as the scan rate remains at or around 15kHz, the horizontal size isn't limiting.

Dot clock = horizontal scan rate x horizontal resolution

h scan rate = vertical resolution x fps

Nominal NTSC h scan rate = 15.75kHz

15.75kHz = 262 x 60  --- (262 being 240 visible lines + 22 lines blanking interval for vertical sync pulse which triggers new frame)

Interlaced modes run at half the fps, so...

15.75kHz - 525 x 30  --- (this is a 480i mode)

In no case here does the TV give a crap about the horizontal resolution, and for using super resolutions even something as high as 3840 pixels wide is fine. You'll never get any love from an actual 4k image, or course, but for scaling low res stuff it works beautifully.

Trnzaddict

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 05:45:27 pm »
Buttersoft, I read your huge article you wrote and purchased a transcoder from the ebay.ca guy you linked to in your post. I was able to find him on regular eBay.com. Just curious did you link to him because he's credible? I'm not having a great experience so far.

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 10:22:02 pm »
I've only heard good things about that unit, the guy himself popped up on AussieArcade a while ago. The description of the unit on the listing looks perfect. What issues are you having?

Trnzaddict

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2017, 06:29:29 am »
I've only heard good things about that unit, the guy himself popped up on AussieArcade a while ago. The description of the unit on the listing looks perfect. What issues are you having?

I ordered it on midday Tuesday via instant money on PayPal and here we are on Saturday and it still has not shipped even though it says it ships 1-2 days after payment. I sent him a message yesterday morning asking him what's up and if they take time because he hand makes them or something, no response. If I don't hear anything by next week I'm going to have to contact ebay or PayPal to get a response I suppose 😒

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2017, 07:09:53 am »

I ordered it on midday Tuesday via instant money on PayPal and here we are on Saturday and it still has not shipped even though it says it ships 1-2 days after payment. I sent him a message yesterday morning asking him what's up and if they take time because he hand makes them or something, no response. If I don't hear anything by next week I'm going to have to contact ebay or PayPal to get a response I suppose 😒

Haha, i thought you meant technical issues. Those units *are* handmade. Paypal has like a 90-day protection policy, right? No need to sweat it yet. Those units are meant to be pretty good, and if you piss the guy off you might burn your bridges. I get that you're frustrated, but for all you know he could be tied up with family or something :)

b4nd1t0

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 05, 2024, 10:21:43 am
    • b4nd1t0's repository
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 07:14:45 am »
How?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 04:57:29 pm »
How?

Google pointed me here: https://gist.github.com/Monroe88/dbd3e01252afa5c50690

That one is configured for 3840x480, you'll need to change it e.g. for 2560x240, changing aspect ratio options accordingly, etc.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

b4nd1t0

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 05, 2024, 10:21:43 am
    • b4nd1t0's repository
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 06:35:44 am »
Great! Thanks  :cheers: