Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Megatouch XL upright arcade cabinet monitor not powering up (touch screen works)  (Read 3707 times)

DaddyLongLegs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 11, 2021, 02:23:36 pm
Well this is a weird one.

After spending months getting the Megatouch XL up and running, I had it working well for over a month. However, out of nowhere the monitor stopped turning on. I can't tell if it's receiving power at all, but I am guessing not because I don't hear any high pitched whine and I don't see any light in the glass part of the neckboard (which I believe I should see). I know it's not the motherboard because when I touch around the screen, I hear sound-effects, so the machine itself is running fine.

Does anybody know what I could try? The monitor appears to be in good shape. I see no leaking caps; and I am not sure that would be the issue anyway because from what I understand, bad caps would usually result in a poor picture, vertical hold not working, etc. I unplugged and re-plugged the VGA cable, to make sure it was secure. I made sure no cables (especially power-related cables) were not disconnected and I made sure they were secure. I I even checked the little fuse on the chassis and the fuse is not blown. Does anybody know what else I can check?

Again, this is one of the original Megatouch XL machines that are fully upright (not bar-top) if that helps at all. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:53 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
the capacitors on the board are likely too weak. What can happen is they start to get old and dry out and instead of helping smooth the power coming out of the power supply, their increased resistance just loads it down...until the power supply can't take the load anymore and goes into shut down.

I've said it many times before, capacitors have a usable lifetime measured in HOURS. Even high quality capacitors only average 5000 usable hours before they start to drift. 4 hours a day for 4 years is over 5800 hours...what are we at for the XL now? 18 some odd years now? it's certainly going to be time if it's never been serviced.

as much as "recap it"  has been a catch all for most monitor issues, there are plenty times when it is appropriate.

obcd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2019, 11:44:36 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
You could connect the megatouch computer to a pc monitor to verify if it's generating video output.

The fillaments glowing in the neck of the picture tube are often difficult to spot.