Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: CRT Emudriver and KOF98 UMFE, weeeird artifacts  (Read 1724 times)

M_W

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2019, 03:44:25 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
CRT Emudriver and KOF98 UMFE, weeeird artifacts
« on: November 04, 2017, 07:44:09 pm »
Hi all,

I've been a CRT Emudriver and GroovyMAME user for a few years now, and I only now got around to getting some of my 4:3, ~240p Steam games running on my PVM. Some successfully, some not. The weirdest case, though, is The King of Fighters '98 Ultimate Match Final Edition. Running the game in 320x224 looks great at first, no shimmering effect on either of the axes indicating bad scaling, except that there is a single tear across the screen from the top right corner to the bottom left, with some lines appearing on the left half of the screen no appearing on the right. I've experimented with tons of different modes, but can't seem to find a solution.

What on Earth could be causing this? I don't know the math, but it seems weird that a scaling artifact would manifest as a perfect diagonal tear. Even if you can't think of a solution, explaining the cause will at least put my mind at ease.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: It appears the problem is only "corrected" by replacing the vertical resolution with something like 240, which gets rid of the diagonal tear, but introduces a ripple effect due to the fractional scaling.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 08:09:22 pm by M_W »

Calamity

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
Re: CRT Emudriver and KOF98 UMFE, weeeird artifacts
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 06:08:53 pm »
I know nothing about Steam but it sounds like it's not rendering at 320x224 natively. Rather than that, it might be downscaling the graphics to your user-defined resolution. A diagonal tear-like artifact might be introduced by a render engine that uses two triangles added up to create a rectangular frame. A slight rounding error in the downscaling between both trianges might create that issue... just a random guess.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi