Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Question regarding those 15khz LCD CRT replacement monitors  (Read 1827 times)

Epyx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2023, 07:56:36 pm
  • "You're an oddity"
Question regarding those 15khz LCD CRT replacement monitors
« on: November 02, 2017, 10:03:49 pm »
Just curious how those 15khz LCD replacement monitors work.  I imagine they have a standard resolution of maybe 1600x1200 if 4:3 or 1920x1080 if 16:9. I am curious how the 15khz CGA modes work on those...does it pair up pixels to do those lower CGA resolutions?  Just trying to understand how 15khz would look better than standard LCD if its not a CRT? Hope that makes sense?
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Re: Question regarding those 15khz LCD CRT replacement monitors
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 01:03:18 am »
It would look like ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---, i reckon.  LCD, being fixed-pixel, and much higer res than a 15kHz CRT, will benefit from shaders and HLSL stuff.

A 15kHz LCD would just take the 15kHz signal and upscale it, and it wouldn't do it well. Unless you're talking about a specialty product?

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2023, 07:56:36 pm
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 04:14:17 pm »
THanks. Im talking about the replacement monitors that the arcade monitor companies are touting. IE Wells Gardner and others generally have LCD replacements for failing CRTs and they advertise these as being 15khz. So just curious how that picture would differ from a regular LCD monitor?
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 06:42:56 pm »
Well, as above, if it's no more than a regular LCD that can upscale a 15kHz signal it'll look like ass. Even if it's 4:3. Think of a 640x480 signal going to a modern LCD - it looks shocking. I have a 15kHz capable Dell panel, which will do 480i, keeping the flicker. A 320x240 signal *might* be slightly better, but i haven't bothered trying as the picture is awful as it stands.

The panels would need good upscaling features to look any good, and i don't see that being cheap, and thus i can't imagine they have any. This is what external scalers do well.

That said, can you post a link to the panels you're talking about? They might have some ability to deal with the higher voltages put out by a jamma board as well.