Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Rotary Joystick for multi-rotary MAME project - suggestions and input please  (Read 3956 times)

smass

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2024, 07:46:54 pm
  • Cheapskate Arcade
I recently acquired a converted MACH 3 cabinet - it was converted to Choplifter.  It was in a Frat house and the PCB is missing and internal wiring is a real mess.  The cabinet itself is in great shape - just needs a bit of filling/sanding and paint work.  I loved MACH 3 back in the day, but I don't want to go the expense of restoring this to a MACH 3, so I have been entertaining the idea of turning it into a multi-rotary mame themed cab.  I would go with either an Ikari or Heavy Barrel art package, use an older computer I have, and turn the monitor on its side for a vertical orientation.

So I have my basic plans mapped out.  Now to the hard decision.  What rotary joystick solution to use?  LS-30s are pricey and hard to find.  A working pull CP with the joysticks and buttons can be found for around $300, but since this is a MAME project and not a restoration, I think I would rather opt for a less expensive joystick setup.  Also I don't want to spend $300 on a set of older controls that might need a bunch of resto work anyway. 

I have done a bunch of research including reviewing threads on this subject from this forum and it appears the only viable choice would be either a Happ Mechanical Rotary stick like this one:

https://na.suzohapp.com/products/joysticks/50-5618-00

Or the optical version of the same joystick.  I like the mechanical version for the games I want to play, but I am not a fan of the bat style joystick on the Happs, and have read others say that the action is a bit stiff and causes hand fatigue as a result of the stiffness and the shape of the bat sticks.  This cab will be focused on rotary games so I need something that I can play comfortably for longer two player gaming sessions.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for a mechanical rotary joystick solution?  I would go with the Happ's if I could think of a good way to modify the joystick shaft and bat top to be more like the LS-30 joystick, but I haven't found any examples of this being done well.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:46:32 am
  • Designated spam hunter
Does anyone have any other suggestions for a mechanical rotary joystick solution?  I would go with the Happ's if I could think of a good way to modify the joystick shaft and bat top to be more like the LS-30 joystick, but I haven't found any examples of this being done well.
The good news is that the lower part of the shaft is 10mm diameter and rods that diameter are often used in CNC/milling applications.

A search for "Linear Motion 10mm Shaft" turns up a number of promising choices including this vendor that does custom lengths.   ;D

You'll need about 120mm per stick.

For the handle, there are several possible approaches such as resin casting like this or 3d printing.

If you go the 3d printing route, you can use a shaft collar and change the set-screw for a socket cap screw.

The idea is to use the socket cap screw as a lever arm to transfer the twisting force from the handle to the shaft.

The only mods needed to the shaft are filing two flats -- one for the rotary-switch/shaft coupler set-screw and one for the shaft collar socket cap screw.

Since the shaft collar is going to be larger than the 14mm upper part of the shaft, you will probably need a spacer ring (maybe a taller version of this?) between the cone (96-1302-00) and the shaft collar -- that way the collar and handle assembly can clear a wood control panel and won't bump into the body of the joystick when you push Up/Down/Left/Right.

Scott
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 11:53:53 pm by PL1 »

AndyWarne

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2021, 03:37:09 am
    • Ultimarc
We have an optical rotary upgrade for our Ultrastik 360 stick.

http://www.ultimarc.com/ultrastik_info.html

Rotary info:

http://www.ultimarc.com/rotaryjoy.pdf

We have bat tops which will fit these handles.

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Cheapskate Arcade
Great suggestions from both of you.  Andy - I am considering an optical rotary solution as it would open up more games for the cabinet, but I am not sure I will like the "feel" of the optical vs. mechanical.  I may order a optical to try it out - I could always use it to upgrade my main mame machine if I don't end up liking it for Ikari and other mechanical rotary games (they are the focus of this build).

PL1, you have given me lots of food for thought.  To add to the discussion, I have seen original ls30 yellow "caps" available on ebay.  See here for example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Four-rotary-joystick-knobs-As-you-SEE-PHOTOS/112622889407?hash=item1a38d8e9bf:g:a1kAAOSwaMFZ34yW

I wonder if it would be possible to have the happ shaft milled to accept the original heads? 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 09:03:30 am by smass »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:46:32 am
  • Designated spam hunter
I am considering an optical rotary solution as it would open up more games for the cabinet
Only four games used optical rotary sticks.
    Caliber .50
    Exterminator
    Touchdown Fever
    Touchdown Fever II

I wonder if it would be possible to have the happ shaft milled to accept the original heads?
Removing the plastic part of the handle should be fairly easy.

After that, find someone with a metal lathe to turn the upper part of the shaft to the necessary diameter and cut the threads.

Bad news: Any error would be a bit expensive since getting a replacement handle (95-1274-00) from Happ is going to involve a minimum $50 order.  :(

Scott

Paul Olson

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:26:04 am
    • Paul's Arcade
I have an old pair of LS-30s I would sell for $100. If you are interested, I will get pics to you. I have another one that is in pieces, but don't remember why I took it apart. I would include that one.

The best option (I think) would be NOS LS-30s, but like you said, they are expensive. I just sold a pair for $250, and the fact that I had 4 back up buyers withing hours tells me I priced them low for the market.

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Cheapskate Arcade
I have an old pair of LS-30s I would sell for $100. If you are interested, I will get pics to you. I have another one that is in pieces, but don't remember why I took it apart. I would include that one.

The best option (I think) would be NOS LS-30s, but like you said, they are expensive. I just sold a pair for $250, and the fact that I had 4 back up buyers withing hours tells me I priced them low for the market.

pm sent :)