Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: ROM set update questions  (Read 1555 times)

Erzak

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 03:47:45 pm
  • First cabinet complete, now about that software...
ROM set update questions
« on: November 01, 2017, 02:16:32 pm »
I have just about finished up my first cabinet build (yay!) and am now starting on getting MAME configured, etc.  I had a complete ROM set (0.161) from a while back, and have downloaded all of the update packs to get me to 0.191, the most current version of MAME.  I admit that I am quite confused as to how to update the ROM set.  My initial thought was that I start with the 0.161 to 0.162 archive, extract those new files to my 0.161 set, over-writing any existing files, and then repeat with all of the update archives in sequential order.  Further reading here, and elsewhere makes me think that does not work, and that I should use Clrmamepro to update my original set, or download a full new set.  The use of Clrmamepro seems to be not-super-straightforward, is there a good tutorial on how to do this?  I don't have any CHDs yet, and I expect I am missing samples as well.

Is my original idea off-base, or will that work to update to 0.191, even if it is a cumbersome method.

Thanks, Eric

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 02:36:26 pm
  • Intellivision Rocks!
Re: ROM set update questions
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 02:26:34 pm »
Here's an older tutorial on using Clrmamepro.  I don't know if the program has changed but most of the steps would be the same in a new version:

http://www.cphsolutions.f2s.com/guides/cmprotutorial.htm

And is there a reason that you need the latest set?  Specific game(s) that have been added that you want to play?  If not, there may not be a need to update.  I've not updated other than using Clrmamepro so I don't know if the other way you mentioned works.  I'd try it and see.  Backup the Roms first so if/when something gets borked, you have the backups to restore.