Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Definitive method for wiimote to work as a lightgun?  (Read 11518 times)

GenD90

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 30, 2018, 01:29:04 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Definitive method for wiimote to work as a lightgun?
« on: November 01, 2017, 05:36:15 am »
Hi everyone. I'm trying to find a working method to get the wiimote to work as a lightgun for like pcsx2, demul and any other emulators that are similar in the control fashion. I've gotten the 2 wiimotes to work in mame from a youtube video using Touchmote, but i'm just wondering if that's possible and if someone can please point me in the right direction for pcsx2, epsxe if possible and demul. I have the Dolphin Bar also. Thanks.

argonlefou

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:34:11 am
Re: Definitive method for wiimote to work as a lightgun?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 04:33:24 am »
I can't tell for pcsx2 or epsxe but this should work for Deml : http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149714.0.html

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 01:16:45 pm »
I think he's talking about the fact that the dolphin bar does a poor job of calibrating the pointer by default and it doesn't really have 2 player support.  I started on a project to do it via the data mode of the wiimote, but I used vjoy (not headkaze's version) and didn't realize that they were screwing over headkaze so I stopped development.  If anyone knows of a virtual joystick dll that will support 4 joysticks and a butt load of buttons and axis, I'll write an all-in-one wiimote app. 

There are two programs, WiiUSoft and WiiUPro that do a good job, but the pointer support still isn't great.  It's better than dolphin bar though, so you might want to give it a shot. 

GenD90

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 02:19:13 am »
I can't tell for pcsx2 or epsxe but this should work for Deml : http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149714.0.html
Thanks for the reply. Will that guide work for using the Wiimote, or do you need the aimtrak guns?
I think he's talking about the fact that the dolphin bar does a poor job of calibrating the pointer by default and it doesn't really have 2 player support.  I started on a project to do it via the data mode of the wiimote, but I used vjoy (not headkaze's version) and didn't realize that they were screwing over headkaze so I stopped development.  If anyone knows of a virtual joystick dll that will support 4 joysticks and a butt load of buttons and axis, I'll write an all-in-one wiimote app. 

There are two programs, WiiUSoft and WiiUPro that do a good job, but the pointer support still isn't great.  It's better than dolphin bar though, so you might want to give it a shot. 
I've found guides for setting up aimtrak as a lightgun and such for pcsx2 and that, but nothing for the wiimotes. Will i end up having to purchase these aimtrak guns?

GenD90

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 05:18:42 am »
Another question. Is it possible to get the Wiimotes to be read as Raw through the dolphin bar?

argonlefou

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 08:23:59 am »
Thanks for the reply. Will that guide work for using the Wiimote, or do you need the aimtrak guns?
If your Wiimotes are working with Touchmote software (i.e recognized as a virtual XInput gamepads on windows) then they will work 100% with DemulShooter

I do not own any Wiimote myself, it's the feedback I have from users.
I don't know if they're using a Dolphin Bar though

GenD90

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 09:59:41 am »
If your Wiimotes are working with Touchmote software (i.e recognized as a virtual XInput gamepads on windows) then they will work 100% with DemulShooter

I do not own any Wiimote myself, it's the feedback I have from users.
I don't know if they're using a Dolphin Bar though
In DemulShooter where it shows "P1 Device" in P1 "Config" It shows my mouse and keyboard in there as normal for a raw device. If i use Touchmote i can get the two wiimotes to show as "XInput Gamepad #1" and "2", but when i go ingame with say "Model 2 Emulator" it will still stay default to my mouse to control. Where as in MAME i could press tab and configure the x and y axis with the wiimote emulating as an XInput controller. Could be an issue using a dolphin bar?

argonlefou

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 03:13:13 pm »
In DemulShooter where it shows "P1 Device" in P1 "Config" It shows my mouse and keyboard in there as normal for a raw device. If i use Touchmote i can get the two wiimotes to show as "XInput Gamepad #1" and "2", but when i go ingame with say "Model 2 Emulator" it will still stay default to my mouse to control. Where as in MAME i could press tab and configure the x and y axis with the wiimote emulating as an XInput controller. Could be an issue using a dolphin bar?
[/quote]
If you can see  "XInput Gamepad #1" and "XInput Gamepad #2", it's a good sign.
With Touchmote, I guess you have to binds Wiimote Buttons to act as Xbox buttons ( A, B, X, Y, etc..)
So then in DemulShooter, once you have selected your device, you'll have to choose which Xbox buttons will act as left/right/middle mouse button
You can verify this on the "Calibration" tab, if you check the option to display a mark on screen when you shoot : press your Wiimote equivalent for a left click and you should see a mark on screen

But once you close the Window, you have to run a command line to start demulshooter and let it run at the same time as Model2 for the whole thing to work. See the Readme file

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 07:53:52 pm »
Another question. Is it possible to get the Wiimotes to be read as Raw through the dolphin bar?

Yeah, I think it's mode three.  It'll just connect the wiimote via Bluetooth and any data parsing is up to the individual programs.  Works with dolphin, or the software I mentioned, ect. 

spacorn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2022, 10:46:45 am
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2017, 11:30:32 pm »
The only thing I've gotten working outside of Dolphin so far is Dolphinbar + Touchmote, which was recently updated by tsuokkis for better calibration.

Not an easy route for HTPC or cabs though. Touchmote does well what it's meant to do but it's very hard to customize. Even after getting the calibration right (which involves lots of configuration textfile editing and app restarting), you still have to figure out how you're gonna deal with the horde of overlays it puts on your desktop.

Anyway, I got MAME, Demul, M2Emu and Supermodel working alright for 1P. I'm just starting to implement DemulShooter to set up a second Wiimote...

GenD90

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2017, 02:04:13 am »

Yeah, I think it's mode three.  It'll just connect the wiimote via Bluetooth and any data parsing is up to the individual programs.  Works with dolphin, or the software I mentioned, ect.
If i put it in mode 3 or 4 the dolphin bar won't show up. If i put it in mode 1 or 2 it does but the wiimote is basically just emulating the mouse and the actual wiimote isn't being registered in demulshooter.

The only thing I've gotten working outside of Dolphin so far is Dolphinbar + Touchmote, which was recently updated by tsuokkis for better calibration.

Not an easy route for HTPC or cabs though. Touchmote does well what it's meant to do but it's very hard to customize. Even after getting the calibration right (which involves lots of configuration textfile editing and app restarting), you still have to figure out how you're gonna deal with the horde of overlays it puts on your desktop.

Anyway, I got MAME, Demul, M2Emu and Supermodel working alright for 1P. I'm just starting to implement DemulShooter to set up a second Wiimote...
Could you please show me how you configured the wiimote for Demul?

spacorn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2022, 10:46:45 am
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2017, 06:10:50 pm »
Could you please show me how you configured the wiimote for Demul?

(Sorry, I hadn't been on this board for awhile, I missed you post. I hope you solved your problem by now. But just in case, I'm gonna answer what you asked)

On demul: just enabling mouse emulation (you need to press a key in-game to enable it, F11 I think?), and setting video to stretch to fullscreen (since the mouse emulations doesn't work well with the 4:3 aspect ratio for some reason)
On touchmote: a simple mouse pointer + mouse click profile, similar to the default one.

The key thing is to use tsuokkis fork (you need to follow the thread I linked on my previous thread for that), which gives the ability to customize the size of the detection area for your pointer, to make it closer to an actual line of sight aim. Without this I'd say it's not even worth the effort, since the raw mouse input of Dolphinbar's mode 3 is too jerky, and Touchmote default detection are will not always match your screen size and distance.