Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: RetroFlag NesPi Case Safe Shutdown Modification  (Read 211 times)

Grasshopper

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • life, don't talk to me about life
RetroFlag NesPi Case Safe Shutdown Modification
« on: October 29, 2017, 02:10:15 pm »
As some of you will be aware, the RetroFlag NesPi case is fitted with working power and reset buttons.

Unfortunately, all the reset button actually does is momentarily cut the power. As this can already be done using the power button, the reset button effectively serves no useful purpose in its default configuration.

Because of this, a number of people have devised mods that enable the reset button to trigger a safe shutdown script by shorting one of the Pi's GPIO pins. This is preferable to simply cutting the power, as cutting the power can theoretically lead to SD card corruption if it's done at the same time as the card is being written to.

I therefore decided to apply one of these mods to my case. After considering a number of approaches that seemed overly complicated, I decided to base my mod on the following YouTube video created by Glen Planamento:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM-xUC7_A_U

Glen's approach seemed far simpler and safer than the alternatives. Basically, all he did was to isolate the reset switch from the rest of the circuitry by cutting some traces on the PCB. He then soldered on some wires to bypass the reset switch. And finally, he connected one side of the switch to ground, and the other to GPIO pin 5.

I did however deviate from Glen's mod in the following ways:

• In his video, Glen cuts four traces on the PCB to bypass the switch. However, before carrying out the mod, I did a continuity check across all of the pins on the PCB, and noticed that two of the traces are actually a single continuous trace that already bypasses the reset switch. Therefore, you only need to cut two of the four traces, and solder on a single bypass wire.
  • I chose to solder the bypass wire to the underside of the PCB, as I thought this would be neater, and slightly easier to solder.
  • I also decided to connect one side of the switch to a ground connection on the PCB itself, instead of using one of the Pi's ground GPIO pins.

"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." - Samuel Johnson

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31