Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: What FRONTEND do you use with GroovyMAME?  (Read 26006 times)

Dochartaigh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 22, 2023, 10:52:29 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
What FRONTEND do you use with GroovyMAME?
« on: October 28, 2017, 08:22:42 pm »
I think I'm sorted with getting CRT Emudriver to work (well, display on my 15khz TV at least, still need a LOT of tweaking), but I'm not able to get a decent front end working so I thought I'd write to ask what people are using. I've already tried:

Big Blue Frontend – can't get this to work as the dialog/option boxes are larger than 640x480 - with no ability to grab the edge of the window and resize - so it's making it impossible to set this one up.

Attract Mode – you would think with the amount of hype surrounding this one it would be a no-brainer with the amount of tutorials and how-to videos on this one, right? ...until you try to scrape your entire 0.190 romset for OVER 80 HOURS, on two different computers, 2x different internet connections, on both Windows 7 and Windows 10...and you still can't do it...and nobody at Attract Mode GitHub responds to your support ticket (which you've already bumped once) in over a week. Yes, I am bitter lol.

So what would people suggest? Some things I'm finding I would like/need are:

• Compatible with 15khz 640x480 displays, including ALL setup windows/boxes/etc.

• Ability to automatically generate lists

• Some way to display games which actually work (I'm finding TONS of ROM's aren't functional, so why would they ever show up in the list, let alone have a video/screenshot loaded if they're not compatible and/or working in 0.190?)

• Is it possible to flag a ROM for removal? One of my hardest things to do is going to be slimming down the HUGE number of ROM's into ones I actually want to play.

• Fancy dancy videos and/or screenshots with a nice graphical display would be great

• Any sort of controller mapping options built into the frontend? That's my biggest complaint about MAME proper right now. (still haven't figured out how I'm going to map everything into 6x buttons + start/select so it works on my USB fightsticks and my regular SNES/PS/Xbox style controllers.)

is at least a nice screenshot of the game, but really am l, is an ability to see which ROMs are actually working (similar to the default MAME's

funkycochise

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2019, 07:35:18 am
  • 8 bits generation
Re: What FRONTEND do you use with GroovyMAME?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 11:02:49 pm »
mala  :applaud:

my setup (even if it changed a bit since 1 year, time of the footage), running in 240p, I didn’t want any flickering.

it takes a while to achieve a proper list selection. And I don’t believe there’s anything that fits all your requirements.
in mame, even if a game is marked as non working, there’s often a good chance for it to play well anyway.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 11:11:41 pm by funkycochise »

Jonny G

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2024, 05:59:46 pm
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 03:25:54 am »
Maximus Arcade.

It has its own game list creation tool but in my experience, just having a favourites list and a button set up on your control panel to add games from the main list is fine.

I haven't encountered an auto list making FE, unsure if one actually exists, which leaves you with the boring task of updating your genre lists with each new version.

What needs scraping? All support files for mame are available from progettosnaps, from artworks and video snaps to database related stuff like controls.ini etc, etc.

For setup, because using any modern version of Windows at 640x480 is a PITA, i'd attach a PC monitor and do it on that.

alex2005

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 20, 2023, 09:21:14 am
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 06:30:58 am »
I use Hyperspin 1.4+ without Rocketlauncher (with Hyperlaunch 3)
It works perfectly, there are tools to create your own rom lists, you can use hypersync to download artwork and videos and hyperhq to map the frontend controls to whatever you like, and set some filters (display parent roms only, themed only, wheels only or roms you currently have only)
Then you will need to configure controls in Mame or any other system emulator.

The reason I dont use rocketlauncher is that the interface at 640x480 is not displayed well enough to work with it. But with hyperlaunch I did not have any issues.

But i'm fine without rocketlauncher, currently I have 80+ systems setup and couldn't be happier.

It takes time to set up everything, but if its for mame/mess its probably the easier system to set up.

I've also tried maximus arcade and worked pretty well just I don't have enough time to set up two frontends and hyperspin looks are quite cool :)

« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 06:34:02 am by alex2005 »

keropi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2022, 11:06:35 am
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 06:45:41 am »
I also use Maximus Arcade, can hide clones, has a favorites list, screenshot+video previews... it's really simple as a frontend but it does the job really good for me, after all you spend time gaming not at the frontend :D
I imagine hyperspin will be the ultimate eye-candy fe, how all fit on 640x480? It seems to me it's geared towards people with lcd panels and 720p+ resolutions

Nipedley

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 30, 2017, 12:22:06 pm
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 12:59:04 pm »
I'm using attract mode and it works brilliantly, you're using the 'generate rom collection/list' button? That uses listxml, so as long as your mame.exe can successfully run listxml I don't see why it wouldn't run

I used romlister to break out a subset of my 0.190 collection (getting rid of clones/nonworking/mechanical/fruit machines etc.) which runs around 90gb, and it only takes about 20 seconds to generate a rom list when I update something

Best thing about attract mode for me is it runs in 320x240 progressive (did a little layout editing to get it perfect)

Dochartaigh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 02:55:23 pm »
Thank you for the suggestions all! Keep them coming (I'm literally going to try every one of them to see which I like). I'm painting my house for the rest of the day, but will try to install some of these over the next week.

I'm using attract mode and it works brilliantly, you're using the 'generate rom collection/list' button? That uses listxml, so as long as your mame.exe can successfully run listxml I don't see why it wouldn't run

I can generate a list fine (and it's using groovymame executable for 0.190), but it ALWAYS freezes when it's scraping the artwork. I've literally tried it 30 times on multiple computers....

fcobenitez

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2022, 12:36:40 pm
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 05:01:41 pm »
Try scraping only wheel art at once, and disable movies, artwork... etc...

I think I also had the same problems, but finally found a place to download everything so I did that haha no need for scraping

Dochartaigh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2017, 09:04:22 am »
Try scraping only wheel art at once, and disable movies, artwork... etc...

I think I also had the same problems, but finally found a place to download everything so I did that haha no need for scraping

I found that website as well but I'm confused what I would do from there on. I can see the folders it created after those multiple failed scrape attempts, but should I just drop the artwork and movies I downloaded into those folders? Attract Mode will take care of the rest? Nothing will be needed to be appended/added to the database it pulls from? (I'm also assuming all the file names of this art are identical...I'm sure not changing like 11,700 file names lol.

fcobenitez

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2022, 12:36:40 pm
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2017, 01:05:04 pm »
In your emulator cfg file, you can tell Attract Mode where are your newly downloaded files, for example this is my mame.cfg:

# Generated by Attract-Mode v2.0.0-rc2
#
executable           C:\MAME\mame64.exe
args                 [name]
rompath              C:\MAME\roms
romext               .zip;.7z;<DIR>
system               Arcade
info_source          thegamesdb.net
import_extras        C:\MAME\catver\catver.ini
artwork    flyer           C:\MAME\flyers;C:\Users\My name\Desktop\MAME\scraper\mame\flyer;C:\Users\My name\Desktop\Download Service\MAME\Advert
artwork    marquee         C:\MAME\marquees;C:\Users\My name\Desktop\MAME\scraper\mame\marquee
artwork    snap            C:\MAME\snap;C:\Users\My name\Desktop\MAME\scraper\mame\snap
artwork    wheel           C:\MAME\wheel;C:\Users\My name\Desktop\MAME\scraper\mame\wheel

Take notice that I have more than one directory for art type (a ";" separates two directories)

Nipedley

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 30, 2017, 12:22:06 pm
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2017, 03:18:29 pm »
Ah yes I didn't try to scrape artwork, I downloaded the packs and pointed attract mode to it. You can do this in the GUI, under the emulator configuration at the bottom are options for artwork directories. I just chucked them in with groovymame and pointed attract mode to them, works fine

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2017, 07:31:33 pm »
Download artwork from emumovies and hyperspin, or a torrent pack. Continue using attractmode. Problem solved.

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2024, 03:20:27 am
  • retro maniac
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2017, 05:30:38 am »
Still all these years with MAMEWAH but F.E.E.L is also good.

tjsynkral

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 14, 2018, 04:29:40 am
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2018, 02:25:37 pm »
Sorry to dig up an old thread but I got the idea to try Attract Mode with GroovyMAME from this thread and I'm having some trouble that I hope one of you knows the cause/solution of.

I have CRTEmu and Groovy working just fine with my NTSC RGB SCART-modded TV. This TV has trouble with resolutions other than 240p and 480i so the only modes I installed with VMM are these:

"640x480_60 15.69KHz 60.00Hz" 13.05 640 664 728 832 480 483 489 523 interlace -hsync -vsync
"2560x240_60 15.66KHz 60.00Hz" 52.12 2560 2664 2912 3328 240 242 245 261 -hsync -vsync
"2560x480_60 15.69KHz 60.00Hz" 52.22 2560 2664 2912 3328 480 483 489 523 interlace -hsync -vsync

That seems to work great with Groovy and games look very good. But when I try Attract Mode in full screen, it switches from my desktop (480i) resolution to what appears to be either 240p or something close enough to trigger the progressive scan on my TV, but the horizontal sync does not lock so I get a horizontally rolling picture. I can record this if it helps troubleshoot.

My ideal would be for Attract Mode to change to 240p when it launches in fullscreen because that looks better, but it does not seem like there is any option to customize its fullscreen resolution. It's supposed to be the same resolution as desktop, but... it isn't?

Attract Mode looks fine in Windowed mode, but the window does not take up the full screen.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

keilmillerjr

• Offline Offline
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2018, 11:09:32 pm »
Sorry to dig up an old thread but I got the idea to try Attract Mode with GroovyMAME from this thread and I'm having some trouble that I hope one of you knows the cause/solution of.

I have CRTEmu and Groovy working just fine with my NTSC RGB SCART-modded TV. This TV has trouble with resolutions other than 240p and 480i so the only modes I installed with VMM are these:

"640x480_60 15.69KHz 60.00Hz" 13.05 640 664 728 832 480 483 489 523 interlace -hsync -vsync
"2560x240_60 15.66KHz 60.00Hz" 52.12 2560 2664 2912 3328 240 242 245 261 -hsync -vsync
"2560x480_60 15.69KHz 60.00Hz" 52.22 2560 2664 2912 3328 480 483 489 523 interlace -hsync -vsync

That seems to work great with Groovy and games look very good. But when I try Attract Mode in full screen, it switches from my desktop (480i) resolution to what appears to be either 240p or something close enough to trigger the progressive scan on my TV, but the horizontal sync does not lock so I get a horizontally rolling picture. I can record this if it helps troubleshoot.

My ideal would be for Attract Mode to change to 240p when it launches in fullscreen because that looks better, but it does not seem like there is any option to customize its fullscreen resolution. It's supposed to be the same resolution as desktop, but... it isn't?

Attract Mode looks fine in Windowed mode, but the window does not take up the full screen.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

No option in attract for that, as far as I know. It inherits the desktop resolution.

You can try something like Display Changer app. I have never used it. Make sure you use a resolution that matches a modeline you have installed with crt emudriver. I assume. I’m no video pro. Let me know if it works because I’m curious.

http://12noon.com/?page_id=80

Jack

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2019, 05:30:55 pm
  • See You Space Cowboy..
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2018, 02:09:52 pm »
I use LaunchBox (you have to pay a license to use BigBox mode, which is the frontend part, at christmas is usually in sale) but it's totally worth it, not only is great to customize but also to catalogue roms and emulators and it gets frequent updates.. I use it with this theme with an old PC (dual core, 4gb 800mhz ram) with 640x480 resolution and it does a good job.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 02:11:29 pm by Jack »

Zebra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 01:12:24 pm
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2018, 03:42:55 pm »
Are there any decent open source (I.e. Free) front ends for GM that work well in 480p (or less)? I have a tri-sync arcade monitor so anything that is readable in 15, 24 or 31 kHz is fine.

I'm curious to try one to see if it adds anything to my experience (given that my Windows desktop is in 480p and therefore easy enough to navigate. The graphic interface with GM is not that bad to use if you have easy access to the keyboard.

Being able to search for all my games from every system in one place does sound nice though....

keilmillerjr

• Offline Offline
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2018, 09:20:36 pm »
Are there any decent open source (I.e. Free) front ends for GM that work well in 480p (or less)? I have a tri-sync arcade monitor so anything that is readable in 15, 24 or 31 kHz is fine.

I'm curious to try one to see if it adds anything to my experience (given that my Windows desktop is in 480p and therefore easy enough to navigate. The graphic interface with GM is not that bad to use if you have easy access to the keyboard.

Being able to search for all my games from every system in one place does sound nice though....

Attractmode works at desktop resolution. I design my layouts to be readable as low as 320x240, but work well at 640x480 which is a native windows resolution. My arcade machine runs a wg k7000, so tested and true. Lots of layouts look amazing on it. Just stay away from layouts that seem like they were made for a raspberry pi package. They tend to not design responsive.

BigBlueFrontend works well at 320x240, but a user pointed out that the config menus might be too small to navigate and setup. Perhaps message the developer about it. He’s almost done with a cool arcade style game, and will return to developing the front end soon.

RetroFE can probably do low resolutions. I have not tried it in a few years. Look into it.

Paradroid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 04:41:43 am
    • SCART Hunter
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2018, 04:14:39 am »
Attractmode works at desktop resolution.

Attract-Mode is a great piece of software!

Love this lo-res .

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

My MAME/SCART/CRT blog: SCART Hunter

keilmillerjr

• Offline Offline
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2018, 08:40:41 am »
Attractmode works at desktop resolution.

Attract-Mode is a great piece of software!

Love this lo-res .

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Yeah, I made that layout. Lol it’s called flavors. I need to do an update to it soon. Newer shaders from oomek. I can’t remember if I implemented changing shader scan line orientation based on orientation or not. I did in one theme. Anyways, glad you like it!

Zebra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 01:12:24 pm
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2018, 12:06:12 pm »

Attractmode works at desktop resolution. I design my layouts to be readable as low as 320x240, but work well at 640x480 which is a native windows resolution. My arcade machine runs a wg k7000, so tested and true. Lots of layouts look amazing on it. Just stay away from layouts that seem like they were made for a raspberry pi package. They tend to not design responsive.

BigBlueFrontend works well at 320x240, but a user pointed out that the config menus might be too small to navigate and setup. Perhaps message the developer about it. He’s almost done with a cool arcade style game, and will return to developing the front end soon.

RetroFE can probably do low resolutions. I have not tried it in a few years. Look into it.

Thanks. That sounds like a good option for me. I'll give it a try.

OlDirty

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2020, 07:14:22 am
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2018, 10:06:27 am »
I use Bigbox (Launchbox) and it just works fine.

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:17:47 am
  • Flipping out
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137295.0.html
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2018, 01:48:49 pm »
Another 1+ for attract mode. I have it running on my cab at 480i and it works great. Here's the layout I'm using:

I prefer simple layouts tho

Paradroid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 04:41:43 am
    • SCART Hunter
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2018, 03:39:20 pm »
Here's the layout I'm using:

Wish that video actually showed it actually running on a CRT... curious to see how it would translate.
My MAME/SCART/CRT blog: SCART Hunter

cools

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 02:59:06 pm
  • Arcade Otaku Sysadmin
    • Arcade Otaku
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2018, 04:49:51 pm »
Its fine in 480i, unusable in.240p imo.

bluetrain

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2019, 03:21:04 am
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2018, 05:50:59 am »
Attractmode looks pretty sweet but the scraping seems to take forever? Is there any way around it to make it faster?

keilmillerjr

• Offline Offline
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2018, 06:15:13 am »
Here's the layout I'm using:

Wish that video actually showed it actually running on a CRT... curious to see how it would translate.

I actually design my themes to be responsive. It’s a trait I picked up from web design. Flavors is perfectly viewable at 240p and up. My mvscomplete theme works at 480i and up. I can’t remember if I tested at 240p I remember testing at a low res and playing with the slot numbers.

Here’s an old video of my Neo Geo. Works fine. Need to finish redoing my control panel and do a software update. Got a lexan cpo and holds were all off. Torn apart and haven’t revisited.

bluetrain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2018, 08:18:05 am »
Really like what you did with the neo geo! Is that vanilla or something you have modified yourself?

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:17:47 am
  • Flipping out
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137295.0.html
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2018, 09:41:06 am »
Its fine in 480i, unusable in.240p imo.

Pretty much. It would need some big changes to font sizes to work in 240p. I'll be able to try it on Monday and will post a vid.

That neo geo layout looks great though!

keilmillerjr

• Offline Offline
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2018, 08:53:03 am »
Really like what you did with the neo geo! Is that vanilla or something you have modified yourself?

Besides the shaders, all myself. I created the shuffle module to handle the game switching logic. Pretty cool seeing others start to use it for their own themes. :)

Swainy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 09, 2023, 12:05:24 pm
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2018, 03:29:14 pm »
Guys, can anyone recommend a front end that runs nice on a 31kHz monitor? HyperSpin is refusing to run unless I play about with VMMaker first.

cools

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 02:59:06 pm
  • Arcade Otaku Sysadmin
    • Arcade Otaku
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2018, 07:47:49 am »
I use Attract Mode in 31KHz as well as 15KHz

Swainy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 09, 2023, 12:05:24 pm
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2018, 03:16:43 pm »
Cool, I’ll give that a try.

evreno

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2019, 10:49:20 am
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2018, 04:39:44 pm »
you may like the frontend that I have programmed myself
I've shared details in this forum

http://www.commodore.gen.tr/forum/index.php?topic=13097.0

bluetrain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2018, 09:34:17 am »
I would like to try but the instructions are in some foreign language, do you have it in english?

evreno

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2019, 10:49:20 am
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2018, 11:31:52 am »
No not now, there are instructions in Turkish.
But not too hard, you can get help from google translate.
You can ask if there's something you're stuck with.
Now I'm using google translate :)

roostaar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 07, 2023, 07:44:51 pm
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2018, 12:22:19 pm »
Hi Guys

I have got GroovyMAME running on my CRT TV using the CRT Emu Driver and would like to use Attract Mode as my Front End.

As soon as I run AM, the CRT goes out of sync and I have to reboot.

Any ideas how I can get AM running at the correct resolution for my CRT?

I know how to config AM once I can see it!

Cheers

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2018, 12:39:18 pm »

1 - Disable service: AMD External events utility
2 - Ensure that the Windows advanced display option is enable: "hide modes that is monitor cannot display"
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

roostaar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 07, 2023, 07:44:51 pm
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2018, 01:47:11 pm »

1 - Disable service: AMD External events utility
2 - Ensure that the Windows advanced display option is enable: "hide modes that is monitor cannot display"

Dude!! You are the Man!

Worked a treat. Thank you for all your hard work.  :cheers:

tadek

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 08, 2019, 10:24:59 am
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2019, 09:48:16 am »
Sorry for necro but...

Compatible with 15khz 640x480 displays, including ALL setup windows/boxes/etc.
For setup, because using any modern version of Windows at 640x480 is a PITA, i'd attach a PC monitor and do it on that.
The reason I dont use rocketlauncher is that the interface at 640x480 is not displayed well enough to work with it. But with hyperlaunch I did not have any issues.

Why not use remote desktop instead? And just work on the setup from main PC instead of hauling displays and input peripherals?
Back on topic. I use Hyperspin with Rocket Launcher. Steep learning curve, but once you get your head around it. It's a breeze to add/update systems.