Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Building A Goldfish Arcade  (Read 19331 times)

Mike A

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:51:45 am
  • This plan is foolproof
Re: Building A Goldfish Arcade
« Reply #80 on: November 11, 2017, 07:49:04 am »
Troll

rovingmind

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 17, 2023, 11:13:48 pm
  • If you only knew the POWER of the Dark Side
    • rovingmind
« Reply #81 on: November 11, 2017, 11:15:41 am »
https://www.pugetsystems.com/submerged.php

just put a robotic fish into the mineral oil and use the entire pc as the fishtank display.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #82 on: November 11, 2017, 11:40:47 am »
What a shame, those owl eye coin doors are highly sought after by collectors. You probably have an early run Astroids cabinet there.

You can fix monitors. Either your friend doesn’t want to spend the money, or TV guy doesn’t want to be bothered with it. I myself have brought monitors back from the dead and I don’t have any formal training. You just have to want to know how to do it.

I hope you and your fishies enjoy your little tribute to vanity there. And for the rest of you that encourage this ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---, well, you know...
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #83 on: November 11, 2017, 02:19:03 pm »
Thanks for the encouragement.  I still haven't got the Asteroids cabinet.  I went over to my mates house last weekend and he showed me the asteroids cabinet which looked odd.  The coin door look very different.  My mate calls them owl eyes as they do look like Bubo from Clash of the Titans (sorry its from an old 1980 movie we like) but the monitor doesn't work.  We hear the sounds but no picture.  He took the monitor to a TV repair shop and the guy said it was dead.  Sorry Yotsuya but it is going in the special recycle bin.

So I get to have the cabinet without the monitor.  My mate says I can use a LCD screen.  I told him about my design and he laughed.  He thinks I am off my head but my mate needs it gone, so it will be lighter to move.  He lives on the other side of the country so it will take some time to shift it to my house.  I still need to figure out the support of the monitor shelf.  Does the TV in the asteroids weigh 90 kilos?  We are going to make a cupboard inside the cabinet to store our consoles.  My guess the electronics are dead too and my mate knows someone that wants the innards so the wires will be removed.

The baby oil is for the PC.  It is an AMD and it runs too hot.  So another mate showed me a youtube clip where they sunk the PC in baby oil and it cooled down the PC.  It will be sloshing in the bottom of the cabinet so the fish will not be baby oiled.  I will add more photos and drawing on the plans of the actuator.  I am using the plans from the internet to create mock ups and using cardboard.  I am really looking forward to this being a reality. 

Thanks for the input.
  WHAT???, You NEED to come in off the ledge, ....If you desecrate , and chop an asteroids machine, without even a basic understanding of monitor theory Jennifer will personally Troll your miserable threads till they kick me off this site. :badmood: :badmood: :badmood:

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #84 on: November 11, 2017, 02:29:34 pm »
Thanks for the encouragement.  I still haven't got the Asteroids cabinet.  I went over to my mates house last weekend and he showed me the asteroids cabinet which looked odd.  The coin door look very different.  My mate calls them owl eyes as they do look like Bubo from Clash of the Titans (sorry its from an old 1980 movie we like) but the monitor doesn't work.  We hear the sounds but no picture.  He took the monitor to a TV repair shop and the guy said it was dead.  Sorry Yotsuya but it is going in the special recycle bin.

So I get to have the cabinet without the monitor.  My mate says I can use a LCD screen.  I told him about my design and he laughed.  He thinks I am off my head but my mate needs it gone, so it will be lighter to move.  He lives on the other side of the country so it will take some time to shift it to my house.  I still need to figure out the support of the monitor shelf.  Does the TV in the asteroids weigh 90 kilos?  We are going to make a cupboard inside the cabinet to store our consoles.  My guess the electronics are dead too and my mate knows someone that wants the innards so the wires will be removed.

The baby oil is for the PC.  It is an AMD and it runs too hot.  So another mate showed me a youtube clip where they sunk the PC in baby oil and it cooled down the PC.  It will be sloshing in the bottom of the cabinet so the fish will not be baby oiled.  I will add more photos and drawing on the plans of the actuator.  I am using the plans from the internet to create mock ups and using cardboard.  I am really looking forward to this being a reality. 

Thanks for the input.
  WHAT???, You NEED to come in off the ledge, ....If you desecrate , and chop an asteroids machine, without even a basic understanding of monitor theory Jennifer will personally Troll your miserable threads till they kick me off this site. :badmood: :badmood: :badmood:

Don't waste your time, Jenn.

Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #85 on: November 11, 2017, 07:17:37 pm »

Thanks for the input.
  WHAT???, You NEED to come in off the ledge, ....If you desecrate , and chop an asteroids machine, without even a basic understanding of monitor theory Jennifer will personally Troll your miserable threads till they kick me off this site.

Whoa! Settle down!! I'm finding it really odd that you would take such a harsh stance. This isn't a bad idea really, but more of a learning opportunity for creativity and innovation.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #86 on: November 12, 2017, 04:55:15 am »

Thanks for the input.
  WHAT???, You NEED to come in off the ledge, ....If you desecrate , and chop an asteroids machine, without even a basic understanding of monitor theory Jennifer will personally Troll your miserable threads till they kick me off this site.

Whoa! Settle down!! I'm finding it really odd that you would take such a harsh stance. This isn't a bad idea really, but more of a learning opportunity for creativity and innovation.

Learning opportunity yes.

Innovation? No....

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #87 on: November 12, 2017, 06:37:52 am »
If you are dead ass serious, this needs to be a scratch custom build.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #88 on: November 12, 2017, 01:16:34 pm »
     OK.... I will reel it in a bit. Jennifer can not save them all alone, I have seen them pushed off roofs, smashed down for the dumpster, Burned,  Started by someone with Zero experience, and just left for dead on the street, And  chopped up and parted out for Mame,   Even I am guilty of making a bird cages out of a crane games. Its your machine, do with it what you will....Bad idea? perhaps not, That kind of thing was considered  art back in the day with television cabs but take notice of the fact they are not around anymore.... And finally re: Thomas_surles,  :cheers:

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #89 on: November 12, 2017, 03:41:25 pm »
https://www.pugetsystems.com/submerged.php

just put a robotic fish into the mineral oil and use the entire pc as the fishtank display.

beat me to it!

UnoWho

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 06:36:01 pm
« Reply #90 on: November 22, 2017, 12:19:05 am »
I have been busy with work, so prototyping has been slow, but I have a good idea on how to bring the arcade monitor from the bottom of the cabinet (near the coin door) to the monitor shelf.  I will be using two linear actuators in parallel to raise the LED TV to completely mask the aquarium.  Two large PC fans on each side of the monitor shelf should keep the fishies and the back of the TV cool. I can cut out ventilation holes in the side of the cabinet for better air flow.  We can add cold cathode lighting to the inside of the cabinet and the fans have a nice neon blue light.

I have asked repeatedly for the weight that the monitor shelf can support.  Does anyone know?  I understand that the sides of the cabinet is plywood, so I am not sure if I need to reinforce the monitor shelf with MDF to support the tank.  I thought the control panel was all metal, but my mate says there is wood in there as well.  Should I remove it before adding more controls to it?  I am not sure what controls I need, but I want more players.  I would like to play gauntlet together so it would be great to have all four of us playing at the same time.  Is that possible?  I am not very experienced with arcade machines, so any help would be appreciated.  I will be posting some drawings for the linear actuator lifts.  I decided that rotating the screen would be hard so the LED will be fixed horizontally.

I like the idea with the robotic fish, but they sound expensive!  ;D

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #91 on: November 22, 2017, 04:47:57 am »
I am so looking forward to see how this turns out.  :applaud:

Niels Arcade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2018, 05:35:06 am
  • I built a Star Wars themed arcade cabinet
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,147851.0.html
« Reply #92 on: November 22, 2017, 06:54:57 am »
Despite all the jokes in this thread I can actually sorta imagine a cool arcade cabinet fish tank combo but, as with all other things, it will heavily depend on the final design and overall aesthetics of it all. If done correct in the sense of design the fish tank should be fluently integrated with the rest of the cabinet design (Somehow I imagine some kind of 60's curvey design inspired by James Bond/Austin Powers/Star Trek 60's design elements). If you'd walk in the room and be like 'hey that's an Asteroids cabinet with a fish tank added' it might not be that great in the end, but hey that's just my opinion. To be honest I think a scratch build would be better for design purposes and probably for constructional, fish tank maintenance and electrical planning as well. Still if you want to use the Asteroids cabinet and design something to your own satisfaction, let the sky be the limit and go for it.

Fun fact, this guy actually replaced the screen of an Asteroids cabinet for a fish tank: http://www.tomtilley.net/projects/fish-tank/ Never mind, I just noticed it being referenced before in this thread, but hey, here is a pinball fish tank:

Regarding your question about reinforcement, unless you find some way to make a precise calculation you could consider reinforcing it with some sturdy 4x4's (wood).

I sincerely wish you the best of luck and am curious to see the results!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 07:18:05 am by Niels Arcade »
I built a Star Wars themed arcade cabinet
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,147851.0.html

Niels Arcade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2018, 05:35:06 am
  • I built a Star Wars themed arcade cabinet
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,147851.0.html
« Reply #93 on: November 22, 2017, 07:06:32 am »
...I would like to play gauntlet together so it would be great to have all four of us playing at the same time.  Is that possible?

Sure, four player controls are technically possible to integrate, but the real question is if it's possible in a ergonomically sound way so you and your friends actually have enough space to stand around the cabinet and use the controls. Beside ergonomics the appearance of your cabinet is a factor to keep in mind as well. Within the current dimensions of the control panel I think there is definitely not enough room for four player controls. If you really want to have four player controls I'd advice you to design and build a new control panel which extrudes out of the cabinet's current boundaries as in the picture:

I built a Star Wars themed arcade cabinet
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,147851.0.html

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 12:32:13 pm
  • danny_galaga is my mail man.
    • N.A.M.E. - arcade cabinet project
« Reply #94 on: November 22, 2017, 07:43:43 am »
So......what kind of fish you puttin in there?

stigzler

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2022, 03:01:48 pm
  • It seemed like a good idea at the time....
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #95 on: November 22, 2017, 01:35:13 pm »
I wonder if, like dogs, aquarium arcade fish resemble their owners?

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #96 on: November 22, 2017, 02:27:03 pm »
...I would like to play gauntlet together so it would be great to have all four of us playing at the same time.  Is that possible?

Sure, four player controls are technically possible to integrate, but the real question is if it's possible in a ergonomically sound way so you and your friends actually have enough space to stand around the cabinet and use the controls. Beside ergonomics the appearance of your cabinet is a factor to keep in mind as well. Within the current dimensions of the control panel I think there is definitely not enough room for four player controls. If you really want to have four player controls I'd advice you to design and build a new control panel which extrudes out of the cabinet's current boundaries as in the picture:

And look at those straight mounted joysticks for P3/P4. Suck it joystick anglers.

UnoWho

• Offline Offline
« Reply #97 on: December 07, 2017, 05:29:10 am »
So my mate that has the asteroids called me up yesterday saying he sold the whole cabinet with the monitor and parts for 200 quid.  Which is good news as the cost of moving the thing would have been half that.  On the plus side he is going to split it with me so I am in pocket.  I still want an asteroids machine, so how can I make one or can someone make one for me for a hundred pounds?

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #98 on: December 07, 2017, 05:43:28 am »
I still want an asteroids machine, so how can I make one or can someone make one for me for a hundred pounds?
Get some wood and some plans. Then build.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #99 on: December 07, 2017, 05:49:15 am »
 :troll:

UnoWho

• Offline Offline
« Reply #100 on: December 16, 2017, 02:46:50 am »
So I have looked around for a new cabinet for my project, and there is a chase HQ with the shifter, monitor and coindoor at my local autioneer which is good news as these cabs go for a couple of quid.  That with a raspberry pi 3 and cannonball looks like a better alternative than building one from scratch.  I am going to follow in this guy's project, but add the linear actuators to raise and lower the monitor.

https://circuitbeard.co.uk/2017/08/28/tomy-turnin-turbo-dashboard-outrun-arcade/

rovingmind

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 17, 2023, 11:13:48 pm
  • If you only knew the POWER of the Dark Side
    • rovingmind
« Reply #101 on: December 16, 2017, 03:14:45 am »
so.... while the monitor is out of the way, are you going to dual purpose the controls and have it motor around a little submarine to hassle the fish with?
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #102 on: December 16, 2017, 12:55:35 pm »
So I have looked around for a new cabinet for my project, and there is a chase HQ with the shifter, monitor and coindoor at my local autioneer which is good news as these cabs go for a couple of quid.  That with a raspberry pi 3 and cannonball looks like a better alternative than building one from scratch.  I am going to follow in this guy's project, but add the linear actuators to raise and lower the monitor.

https://circuitbeard.co.uk/2017/08/28/tomy-turnin-turbo-dashboard-outrun-arcade/

That’s... a kid’s toy. How is that going to help you with a full size project.

I guess MikeA was right. This IS a troll. And here I thought you were a starry-eyed dreamer with fish fantasies. Well-played.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #103 on: December 16, 2017, 01:03:58 pm »
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

UnoWho

• Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: December 17, 2017, 03:44:33 am »

That’s... a kid’s toy. How is that going to help you with a full size project.

I guess MikeA was right. This IS a troll. And here I thought you were a starry-eyed dreamer with fish fantasies. Well-played.

Maybe I didn't explain my self properly, the outrun game I linked to had all the internals, wiring and code to make an Outrun cabinet out of a Chase HQ cabinet.  Everything is there, wheel, shifter, monitor.  I am of the understanding that the PI can drive (  :lol ) the arcade monitor and the rumble controls are not that different to what that project has done.  I think everyone has started small and worked up to full size or at least prototype the project in cardboard, as I have seen in these threads.  I have seen another similar project that did not have the instrument panel, so I think a working instrument panel would be cool.  I'm going to do it regardless to your comments, which leads me to my final post in this thread.

I have sent a PM to Saint regarding your threatening behavior towards me.  I still think this is a pretty cool site, and I am sure lots of people will still visit and gain knowledge.  I also believe in free speech and criticism to where improvements are made in projects, but hostility towards others is unnecessary and abusive comments are hurtful.  Your behavior towards me is unbelievable, yet you have achieved so much with your endevours, and I appreciate your passion towards arcade renovations.  I hope this is something you can reflect on. 

MikeA is a funny guy and likes attention, and his arcade project related comments on other threads have been very much on point.

I wish everyone a happy holidays and I will post my project in another forum in the new year, with pictures.  :cheers:

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #105 on: December 17, 2017, 08:45:24 am »
Build what you dig bro

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2024, 07:46:54 pm
  • Cheapskate Arcade
« Reply #106 on: December 17, 2017, 11:26:37 am »
How did I miss this thread until now?  Must have been the "goldfish" in the title....

Anyway, Chase HQ converted to mame multicade has been done by many - best example is here: http://www.jammaplus.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65327&title=chase-hq-as-mame-driving-cab

Trash or treasure.

And I had to comment - reporting yots to Saint?  Is this 3rd grade?  I call troll thread as well.  Report me too.

stigzler

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2022, 03:01:48 pm
  • It seemed like a good idea at the time....
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #107 on: December 17, 2017, 11:32:34 am »
It's cute watching a child trying to develop his ironic pastiche. Keep encouraging him. I love seeing revolting narcissism in action..

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #108 on: December 17, 2017, 04:13:16 pm »
“Threatening behavior”?

Whatever, man. I tell you what, I’ll leave you be. Enjoy your build. Just don’t kill any fish. Or classic games. I’m more worried about those things than bruising your sensitive feelings.

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #109 on: December 17, 2017, 04:24:51 pm »
oooooooooooooooh...... Yots is in trouble!

lol

All kidding aside we told you it was a bad idea... and we have listed all the reasons why we think this is a bad idea. Like Yots said, don't kill any fish and dont destroy any classic cabinets. Good luck!
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:00:13 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #110 on: December 17, 2017, 04:37:07 pm »
Pic related....

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #111 on: December 17, 2017, 06:48:16 pm »
Stop feeding the troll.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #112 on: December 17, 2017, 09:24:31 pm »
Stop feeding the troll.

Duh... the truth was revealed when he said

MikeA is a funny guy

Schnookums

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 04, 2020, 08:17:27 pm
« Reply #113 on: December 17, 2017, 09:52:25 pm »
I'm relieved that someone finally reported yotsuya for his Threatening Behavior. His reign of terror will no longer be allowed to continue. I personally will be able to sleep at night for the first time in years.

Also, don't kill any fish.

acvieluf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 13, 2024, 03:07:12 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,147793.0.html
« Reply #114 on: December 17, 2017, 10:50:07 pm »
The real crime of this thread is that it's not real, AND it's not good enough trolling to be funny.

Boooooring.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #115 on: December 18, 2017, 02:27:13 am »
I have sent a PM to Saint regarding your threatening behavior towards me. 

Easy there, big guy!

What exact threats did you receive from him? From what I can see all he is doing is not digging your ideas, especially when it came to butchering an early Asteriods cab with vector monitor. Not saying you should like his comments, but it doesn't hurt to check your snowflake card at the door.   :dunno

So here are my thoughts -

Fish tanks smell, are noisy and a pain to maintain, especially if you want cool looking fish. Servicing a PC under a fish tank encased in baby oil sounds like an absolute nightmare.

Why not mount monitors on the side of the cab showing looked videos of fish in a tank. Seriously, a good monitor and some 4k fish tank footage, would look exceptional and many couldn't tell its fake. As an added bonus, you could switch to some nice fireplace video during the holidays.
Or here is a novel idea, have it play sample footage or show the marquee of the game you are playing. Not matter what, at the end of the day, your guests won't have to smell rancid algae water as they are playing toobin'. It really won't enhance the realism as much as you think it would.