Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Hantarex polo 25 h amp adjustment pot doesn't work  (Read 2617 times)

frankrizzo2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 06:16:41 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Hantarex polo 25 h amp adjustment pot doesn't work
« on: October 27, 2017, 01:06:32 pm »
I'm working on on a Hantarex Polo 25 monitor and I can't get the horizontal size to adjust. I've done the cap kit already and I have replaced 2 Diodes next to the horizontal coil. The h amp pot is fine because I swapped it with the contrast pot and I'm still getting nothing for adjustment. There's not a ton of info on these monitors so I'm just putting some feelers out there to see if anyone has had the same issue. Thanks in advance

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 06:47:27 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: Hantarex polo 25 h amp adjustment pot doesn't work
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 03:28:58 pm »
if it has the remote board... the cable where it attaches onto the chassis often break solder joints. maybe one is broken there.

check T118 it is a BDX53A
check T117 it is a BC5588
check D134 or D135 being bad

frankrizzo2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 09:37:36 pm »
I plugged the remote board directly into the chassis because I thought the same thing but I'm still getting the same result. I replaced diode 134 and 135. I've also checked all of the bigger Transistors with the tester and they have been fine. I replaced 1 resister that was open last night but still no luck. I'm thinking that it is one of those rectangle capacitors close to the horizontal coil but I haven't had a chance to test those yet.

lilshawn

• Online Online
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 03:11:24 pm »
the "solid" type of capacitors don't typically fail. (ceramic, mica, etc) even after 40 years they are still good. the solid tantalum ones popular in the 90's don't usually drift out of spec, they just fail.

the electrolytic ones quickly go out of spec. the electrolytic capacitors have a usable lifetime measured in HOURS not years.

I think at this time if it still has it's original capacitors from factory, it's time to swap them out. check out "bob roberts" page for links to kits you can buy that have instructions and all the caps you need.

frankrizzo2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 01:48:27 am »
Well so far I've replace all of the electrolytic capacitors (Cap Kit from Bob Roberts plus I've replaced the 2 larger caps on the power supply), I've replace the HOT, T117, T118 and Both D134 and D135, swapped the h amp pot with a working pot and I've still got nothing for Horizontal Size adjustment. I've got a new flyback here but the one that is in it seems fine so I wasn't going to replace that yet. Any other ideas? Most of the things that I've read about these monitors is that they are a pain to troubleshoot.  :banghead:

lilshawn

• Online Online
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 02:34:33 pm »
they are a real pain in the ass. Hantarex wasn't real popular in north america because we already had a few manufactures of arcade monitors here...no sense importing a monitor made in italy, right?

it's an okay design, but different enough to make it hard to diagnose.

to clarify, when you sweep the H-AMP pot back and forth...it does nothing right? it doesn't wiggle the screen...even move a little.. move anything anywhere? just dead as dead?

frankrizzo2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 07:39:52 pm »
I get no change, flicker, or anything with the h amp pot. I've wiggled the wires and connectors also as I've adjusted to see if I can get any movement or flicker from it that way. Nothing. I've even plugged it directly into the chassis to eliminate the possibility of a bad cable. I've done a continuity check between connectors on the chassis and have also tested continuity on the adjustment board. It's going to be something simple but finding the problem spot is the challenge. Thanks for working through this with me. I want to find the solution so it can be archived for someone else in the future.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 07:42:36 pm by frankrizzo2 »

ed12

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2018, 03:44:39 pm
  • it is what it is..."Nobody Said It Was Easy"....
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 11:04:41 pm »
sweep the pot while u measure the output of the lm383
it must "vary"

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

frankrizzo2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2017, 01:08:27 am »
Just wanted to let everyone know that I scrapped that monitor. It takes a lot for me to admit defeat on something like this but I checked so many components on there and had so much time in it that I finally had to quit. I ended up putting an lcd in my Rev X cab and it works great and looks great!! Thanks for all the help and suggestions. Merry Christmas!!