Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: retopi  (Read 3000 times)

mig75

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 30, 2017, 03:06:44 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
retopi
« on: November 30, 2017, 02:28:59 pm »
Hi everyone please excuse my stupidity. I'm not the fizziest of drinks in the fridge at the best of times but I'm especially stupid when comes to all things tech.
Anyway I recently bought a portable arcade machine from ebay. I would like to add more emulators and roms but not sure how to do so. I have the emulators and roms that I want on my pc, I just do not have clue how to put them on the machine. I cannot connect to the wifi with the machine because it seems you need a keyboard to put in the wifi password. will I need to take the machine apart to connect a keyboard? I would be really grateful for any help.

Cheers
mig

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: retopi
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 04:06:38 pm »
The emulators (and possibly the roms) on your pc are not compatible with retro pie.

But adding roms to retropie is very easy but you will need a keyboard and a wifi connection.

Look on the retropie site/forum and that will give you all your answers.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 03:25:11 am »
Hi everyone please excuse my stupidity. I'm not the fizziest of drinks in the fridge at the best of times but I'm especially stupid when comes to all things tech.
Anyway I recently bought a portable arcade machine from ebay. I would like to add more emulators and roms but not sure how to do so. I have the emulators and roms that I want on my pc, I just do not have clue how to put them on the machine. I cannot connect to the wifi with the machine because it seems you need a keyboard to put in the wifi password. will I need to take the machine apart to connect a keyboard? I would be really grateful for any help.

Cheers
mig
What did you buy exactly? Picture maybe? Does it have usb ports for instance? Can you reach the SD card?

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2023, 09:16:34 pm
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 01:37:17 pm »
chances are the micro sd will be full to the brim already.A much simpler route assuming you can access the pi would be to buy a new sd card,find and flash a new image.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 01:40:09 pm by lomoverde »

1500points

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2018, 01:44:12 pm
    • How to succeed at Robotron
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 03:42:15 pm »
Regardless if this is a raspberry pi driven item you are going to need to get at least a $10 usb keyboard or find one at goodwill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

proplayer77

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2019, 03:23:58 pm
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 10:01:43 am »
Retropie is not simple to use if you dont first check out how it works, study the simple instruction pages they have and youll know better, they have good forums too. Im not a guru on Linux but still got it working on second install. Thx again to this forums active helpers too: Titch,Barry and 1500 who are helping on this topic too.

Of course you should know which Raspberry it has 1, 2 or 3 or is it Raspberry at all :).

https://retropie.org.uk/

1500points

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2018, 01:44:12 pm
    • How to succeed at Robotron
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 09:04:49 pm »
I can't suggest ETAPrime vids on YT enough.
I let a rpi3 sit for half a year before I could figure out where to start.
He does a great job of educating, giving you something to try, all in just a few minutes.