Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The Proper Game List - 1 stick | 8 buttons | 2 player  (Read 3611 times)

lostsounds

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2017, 08:47:09 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
The Proper Game List - 1 stick | 8 buttons | 2 player
« on: October 22, 2017, 06:14:06 am »
I'm currently building an arcade cabinet with RetroPie and would love to know the top games to be featured by recommendation of the community.

My setup is a 2 player Arcade Machine with a 1 stick/8 button layout.

This list is for the discerning 8 button gamer. I dont want to flood my menu with 7000+ options of every ROM on the planet. I want the games to be specific to the control set.

This discussion is NOT for where to get ROMs.

List the games that need to be on this list. I'll update the main thread with the comprehensive list.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:06:39 am
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: The Proper Game List - 1 stick | 8 buttons | 2 player
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 08:31:11 am »
For MAME, you might want to look at BadMouth's "All Killer, No Filler" game lists here.   ;D

Scott

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 09:54:06 am
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 08:40:05 am »
FYI, no games in MAME use more than 6 buttons (not including coin and start).  OK, technically mahjong games do, but you aren't building a mahjong panel.

Most people who have 8 buttons do it for Steam or modern consoles.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 02:36:17 pm »
And if you do a 4 player cab player's 3 and 4 don't need more than 4 buttons and for that matter only two 4 player games worth mentioning use 4 ... the Capcom D&D games. 

Anyway, some people do 7 for p1 and 2 so that the bottom row is setup like a neogeo cab and some people do 8 for pc fighting games like Mortal Kombat 9/X and SV IV/V. 

abispac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:26:13 am
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 07:20:28 pm »
I created a similar list with romlister, for hyperspin, i selected the 2 player alternative option, once i got the full list, i also added some games manually, like the simpsons 2 player cab ,wich lets you select a character, and tenage mutan ninja turtles, sunset riders, and so on. Its a good list, cover pretty much all the classics, no mahons, and lots of unkown games for me but the othr day a guy asked me for a game and it was there, he was so happy because he say he spent years looking for that game, kind of like what i felt when i found mame looking for circus charlie.