Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Eliminate arcade power supply for monitor?  (Read 2782 times)

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
Eliminate arcade power supply for monitor?
« on: October 18, 2017, 06:50:37 am »
I have a neo geo mvs that has been converted to mame. Don't shame me as everything is reversible and mame is done right. See .

I am using an ecostrip and a wells Gardner k7000.

Currently the only things that run off the mvs (atx style) arcade power supply is the monitor, fluorescent marquee light, and coin door reject lights. Is it safe to remove the power supply and wire the monitors isolation transformer directly to the ecostrip?

The real bob Roberts has an example using a filter and arcade power supply that likely has adjustable voltage. K7000 is 120vac +10% -15%. Should I be using a filter? Do I need voltage regulated?

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:27:36 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: Eliminate arcade power supply for monitor?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 12:44:51 pm »
no. the k7000 must be isolated with a 1:1 transformer. it should already be in the cabinet. you can remove everything else and power your board with an SMPS style power supply and your lights and stuff off straight mains... but you must retain the isolation for the monitor or it will blow up as soon as it's powered.

keilmillerjr

• Offline Offline
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 12:48:51 pm »
no. the k7000 must be isolated with a 1:1 transformer. it should already be in the cabinet. you can remove everything else and power your board with an SMPS style power supply and your lights and stuff off straight mains... but you must retain the isolation for the monitor or it will blow up as soon as it's powered.

I didn't ask about removing the isolation transformer. I know that.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:27:36 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 01:03:35 pm »
as long as you retain the isolation for the monitor you can power the transformer any way you like... extension cord, power strip, relay, generator...

wire everything with plugs (fluorescent light, monitor, power supply for low voltage lighting if you have one) and plug them all into the slaves. Then plug your computer into the master. done.

the power stip might already have proper surge filtering... i'm not a fan of the switch circuit breaker format companys use... it is often the only protection... you can just buy a plug in model and use that into the first slave port...

https://www.amazon.com/360-Electrical-36083-1-Outlet-Protector/dp/B002Z7EDCC/ref=sr_1_12?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1508346002&sr=1-12&keywords=plug+in+surge

nothing even needs to be plugged into it if you don't want. (the way the surge suppressor caps are wired it doesn't make a lick of difference as long as it's near the device intended to protect.) You don't need one for every port.

keilmillerjr

• Offline Offline
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 01:55:44 pm »
as long as you retain the isolation for the monitor you can power the transformer any way you like... extension cord, power strip, relay, generator...

wire everything with plugs (fluorescent light, monitor, power supply for low voltage lighting if you have one) and plug them all into the slaves. Then plug your computer into the master. done.

the power stip might already have proper surge filtering... i'm not a fan of the switch circuit breaker format companys use... it is often the only protection... you can just buy a plug in model and use that into the first slave port...

https://www.amazon.com/360-Electrical-36083-1-Outlet-Protector/dp/B002Z7EDCC/ref=sr_1_12?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1508346002&sr=1-12&keywords=plug+in+surge

nothing even needs to be plugged into it if you don't want. (the way the surge suppressor caps are wired it doesn't make a lick of difference as long as it's near the device intended to protect.) You don't need one for every port.

Thank you. Questions answered. :)