Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Super Off Road Find! Need help getting up and racing.  (Read 3262 times)

KlrB22

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 26, 2017, 01:13:33 am
Super Off Road Find! Need help getting up and racing.
« on: October 18, 2017, 04:38:35 am »
Hello, just picked up a 2 player version of Super Off Road. Cabinet is in OK shape considering it was stored outside for who knows how long. Got it home yesterday, cleaned out all the dust and cobwebs. The machine fired right up playing that addicting intro music, CRT looked great, buttons all operational. So I decided to go for a test run. When I did I found that my trophy truck would turn, fire nitro's but there was one little problem, no throttle. I was so bummed, I opened the diagnostics and found that all gas pedal indications showed a stable 72 reading on both 1st and 2nd players even when they were depressed. I tried doing some troubleshooting on the pedal potentiometers and they seem to be operating correctly but I will try replacing them anyway. During the diagnostics I jumpered the the leads just to see if I could get a response on screen but the reading held steady at 72. I think it may be board related but I am not certain. Please let me know if you have any ideas or have encountered this. Thank you.

cw

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 07:18:37 pm
  • Game over man game over
    • The Cab
Re: Super Off Road Find! Need help getting up and racing.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 06:02:51 pm »
it might be just me but I dont think its a good idea to short those with the game up and running....  you might try testing the pots with a meter (i dont think you need to pull them)   start with the basics and then work your way back...

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 08:50:23 pm »
    Ya what CW said... Those pots are really hard to find anymore and are not cheap when you do.

KlrB22

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 10:38:34 pm »
Thanks for replies. Turns out the pots are fine. I found that the power plug was missing a ground stab. I replaced the plug and cable, fired it up and I had throttle control. It was amazing!!! Then it was like I burned my clutch, both trucks just stopped accelerating. It was a great three races while it lasted. I unplugged it for about an hour and fired it up again to try to do some troubleshooting. To my suprise I got another three races then..... Stall. I'm not an electronics repairman as you can tell but I still enjoy trying to fix things. I suspect maybe a component is overheating, maybe a cracked solder joint some place or possibly chip error that takes time to build in. I plan to time how long it takes to quit for a baseline then try it with a fan on the circuit board to see if there's any difference. Let me know what you guys think.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 12:05:23 am »
   They make a freeze spray in a can for troubleshooting things like that, my guess would be a transistor, they normally get pretty warm on a good day, but a drifting one would heat up that fast... But most likely its just a bad ground on your circuit board edge connector, wiggle it a bit (do not unplug while on) when it acts up see if it works again.

KlrB22

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 12:34:01 am »
Well my temp theory was a bust. Fired it up today and no-go. Jennifer I think you're right about the grounding. I noticed a couple mounting screws are missing. Are these screws used for grounding?

KlrB22

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 12:50:05 am »
Here's a pic

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 03:51:45 pm »
Here's a pic
The ground strap is usually unhooked on older games like that, going to the coin door or control panel, that's just lazy and sloppy work but don't affect gronding,Just player safety... That board seems ok from the pic, but those connectors and pins are usually issue, gently rock them back and forth when it acts up and see if it pops back on.