Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: How to secure my CP from the front?  (Read 3690 times)

WetpantsMcGee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2019, 03:44:18 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
How to secure my CP from the front?
« on: October 16, 2017, 11:19:27 pm »
As you can see in the photo, there's nothing securing my tankstick in the front, so naturally during intense sessions the whole thing will move forward. I'm trying to find a clean way to put a lip or something to hold it in, without being permanent. Ideally a 45-degree plastic trim piece would do it but I have no idea where to find such a thing.

Any suggestions?

proplayer77

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2019, 03:23:58 pm
Re: How to secure my CP from the front?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 09:05:14 am »
Im not sure if you dont want to make holes to wood or the controller box but i would still secure it with a bolt and one of these that you can install to the bottom.

So, make a hole to the cabin and to controlbox and then put this to the controllers bottom and then attach bolt from under thru wood and to the controll box?

Just one idea :)

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2023, 01:46:23 pm
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 09:12:54 am »
2 strips of self adhesive velcro tape - one at the front; one at the back. You'll need to remove the rubber feet from the bottom of the CP. You may not think this will be enough, but that's how I used to secure mine down and it worked a treat. In fact, to remove the CP, I had to slide a metal ruler under the velcro, as pulling on it would tip the cab before the velco would let go!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 01:55:11 pm by big10p »

n3wt0n

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 27, 2024, 05:03:38 pm
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 09:43:11 am »
You can find lengths of plastic and metal with 45 degree bends in the carpet or drywall sections of hardware stores like Home Depot. I think they are used as corner guards or something.

WetpantsMcGee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 10:28:44 am »
Im not sure if you dont want to make holes to wood or the controller box but i would still secure it with a bolt and one of these that you can install to the bottom.

So, make a hole to the cabin and to controlbox and then put this to the controllers bottom and then attach bolt from under thru wood and to the controll box?

Just one idea :)

You may have something here  :)  I was hoping to avoid drilling into the tankstick for fear of damaging something inside, but with this I wouldn't have to drill very deep. I'll look into it!

WetpantsMcGee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 10:30:17 am »
2 strips of self adhesive velco tape - one at the front; one at the back. You'll need to remove the rubber feet from the bottom of the CP. You may not think this will be enough, but that's how I used to secure mine down and it worked a treat. In fact, to remove the CP, I had to slide a metal ruler under the velcro, as pulling on it would tip the cab before the velco would let go!

I wanted to do velcro but I can't take the rubber feet off. The flipper buttons on the side are already barely touching the sides; any lower and the buttons will bear the weight of the CP.

WetpantsMcGee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 10:32:17 am »
You can find lengths of plastic and metal with 45 degree bends in the carpet or drywall sections of hardware stores like Home Depot. I think they are used as corner guards or something.

I've searched through Home Depot for something like this and came up short. Probably didn't search hard enough. I'll give it another go, thanks!

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2023, 01:46:23 pm
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 10:38:04 am »
2 strips of self adhesive velco tape - one at the front; one at the back. You'll need to remove the rubber feet from the bottom of the CP. You may not think this will be enough, but that's how I used to secure mine down and it worked a treat. In fact, to remove the CP, I had to slide a metal ruler under the velcro, as pulling on it would tip the cab before the velco would let go!

I wanted to do velcro but I can't take the rubber feet off. The flipper buttons on the side are already barely touching the sides; any lower and the buttons will bear the weight of the CP.
I just noticed that after posting. You could always screw/glue a board to the CP shelf of sufficient thickness to account for the removed feet, so the side buttons clear the cab sides.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 12:27:50 pm »
Use a "corner guard" from Lowes or Home Depot you will want a metal one for strength).  Cut it to size, drill a few holes on the bottom for screws.  Spray it satin black and attach it to the arcade machine base.

Aluminum corner guards:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Steelworks-8-ft-x-1-in-Aluminum-Solid-Angle/3058171

Here are wooden ones:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/EverTrue-96-in-Solid-Wood-Corner-Guards/3041696

Alternatively, you could simply throw metal L-brackets on them and spray paint them black to blend in:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Stanley-National-Hardware-2-5-in-Metallic-Corner-Brace/3037544

DeL
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

WetpantsMcGee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 05:50:57 pm »
Use a "corner guard" from Lowes or Home Depot you will want a metal one for strength).  Cut it to size, drill a few holes on the bottom for screws.  Spray it satin black and attach it to the arcade machine base.

Aluminum corner guards:

Here are wooden ones:

Alternatively, you could simply throw metal L-brackets on them and spray paint them black to blend in:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Stanley-National-Hardware-2-5-in-Metallic-Corner-Brace/3037544

DeL

I'm thinking of a combination of your idea and proplayer77's idea. Spray a corner guard black to clean up the front and put a single bolt into the bottom of the CP for extra support.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Cynicaster

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 22, 2021, 12:12:55 pm
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2017, 01:32:11 pm »
I assume that's an X-Arcade stick? 

You'd probably be surprised at how little is needed to keep the controller in place.  I mounted my tank stick to a pedestal using nothing but the stick's own gravity and some holes.  On the top of the pedestal, there is a board that sits underneath the X-Arcade with 8 holes drilled into it just large enough for the X-Arcade's rubber feet.  When you place the controller on top, the feet fall into the holes and the box appears to sit directly on the mounting surface.  I wanted it to be easy to just pick up and take the controller from the pedestal whenever I want, and it has worked like a charm for 3 years and counting.  No velcro, no fasteners, etc.  It doesn't move around one iota, even with 2 full grown men playing Street Fighter 2.   

WetpantsMcGee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2017, 04:09:42 pm »
I assume that's an X-Arcade stick? 

You'd probably be surprised at how little is needed to keep the controller in place.  I mounted my tank stick to a pedestal using nothing but the stick's own gravity and some holes.  On the top of the pedestal, there is a board that sits underneath the X-Arcade with 8 holes drilled into it just large enough for the X-Arcade's rubber feet.  When you place the controller on top, the feet fall into the holes and the box appears to sit directly on the mounting surface.  I wanted it to be easy to just pick up and take the controller from the pedestal whenever I want, and it has worked like a charm for 3 years and counting.  No velcro, no fasteners, etc.  It doesn't move around one iota, even with 2 full grown men playing Street Fighter 2.

I wish I had this in mind when I was building the cab, but unfortunately the tankstick can't drop any lower due to the flipper buttons.  In order for this to work I have to cut a small panel to raise the sticks up slightly so that they then can drop into the holes.

WetpantsMcGee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2017, 04:13:40 pm »
So I went with the Tee Nut idea this morning, didn't quite work as I had planned.  I was unaware that the base of the tankstick was made with soft, ---smurfy--- pressboard, so even with a bit of contractor's glue the tee nuts pulled right out of the base.  I went back and glued the hell out of them just to be sure this time.  If I had access to the inside, I would install the tee nuts there.

rackoon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2023, 02:29:36 pm
  • I EAT PENCILS!
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2017, 01:42:39 pm »
No joke, Velcro works heck of good. Get the heavy duty kind.

I used it as a temp fix on my first cab but it worked so good I never looked back. :applaud:
They treated me like an animal and that's what I became.

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 09:07:17 am
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2017, 05:05:17 am »
I have the same setup, (Tankstick) I just used two strips of velcro.

gumby510

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 17, 2022, 09:19:44 pm
  • SR-20 NX 2000
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2017, 02:49:11 am »

Aluminum corner guards:

Here are wooden ones:

DeL

I'm thinking of a combination of your idea and proplayer77's idea. Spray a corner guard black to clean up the front and put a single bolt into the bottom of the CP for extra support.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Home depo sells black trim so no need to paint. I used it for my marquee trim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk