Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: sound pitch issues on windows  (Read 1615 times)

billfor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2017, 12:15:55 pm
sound pitch issues on windows
« on: October 16, 2017, 07:38:29 pm »
As I've upgraded to Windows 10 64bit I'm noticing some sound pitch issues with certain roms and wanted to check if this is expected behavior, in general. This is with ASIO disabled or enabled. I went through several old threads but was not sure what the current status is.

- enabling HLSL seems to reduce the emulation speed somewhat resulting in pitch variance, even on games that that should be able to run fullspeed (starwars, etc..)
- I use versions 164, 171,186, and 190 for testing. 164 and 171 seem to be more stable with respect to pitch across most games, but 186 and 190 seem to have slightly less than 100% on the emulation speed (99.0-99.9%). 164 and 171 generally run very close or at 100%
- using an unpactched mame does not distort sound - emulation is always at 100% even with version 190.

I did see that there were a few patches (back a few months ago) to enable/disable some of the ASIO code, but not sure I should bark up that tree.  Without getting into the complexities of my log files and .ini, I just wanted to understand if the sound should generally be stable as of now. As I understand the best way to run things on windows is -nosleep and -priority 1.

Thanks.

Trnzaddict

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 04, 2024, 02:22:55 pm
Re: sound pitch issues on windows
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 09:50:17 pm »
This happens with me too, but only if frame delay is enabled even at just 1.

I have an i5 2400 with a 650ti and I get sound pitch problems and Everytime it sound pitches it will drop to 98% but sits usually at  99%, and this is with running ultra light titles like Alien Sector. I shut frame delay off, it's fine. But at that point I am better off just using vanilla mame, but I like the reduced input lag groovy mame offers because I use it with an LCD. Again, only for the benefits of reduced lag.

krick

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2023, 08:30:27 pm
  • Gotta have blue hair.
Re: sound pitch issues on windows
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 10:34:02 pm »
As I've upgraded to Windows 10 64bit I'm noticing some sound pitch issues with certain roms

What kind of hardware do you have? CPU brand, model, clock speed, GPU, etc...

Are you running on an arcade monitor?

Please post logs from games that are giving you issues.

Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.
Hantarex Polo 15KHz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 2GB (GCN)
GroovyMAME 0.197.017h_d3d9ex
CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 13 (Crimson 16.2.1 for GCN cards)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.8GHz
ASUS Z87M-PLUS Motherboard