Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: I need a little help getting Naomi/DEMul looking good on my Wells Gardner k7400  (Read 2122 times)

DaddyLongLegs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 11, 2021, 02:23:36 pm
Hello!

Ever since I finished building my MAME cabinet, I have been obsessed with getting everything to visually look identical to the way they did in the arcade. This of course meant hunting down a standard resolution Wells Gardner 25" K7400 and learning all about CRT_Emudriver.

So anyway I have CRT_Emudriver all set up on a Radeon 6450 HD going to a jPAC going to my arcade monitor. I am using GroovyMAME and everything looks absolutely fantastic (seriously, huge props to the creators of GroovyMAME).

However, there are quite a few games unavailable in MAME. Most notably House of the Dead 2 and the biggest one for me, Marvel vs Capcom 2.

My issue is that no matter what I try to do in DEmul, the picture does not look "right".

I have it set to full screen, and 320x240. I even changed the "dip switch" to 15khz (since Naomi supports 320x240 in all their games, even though they also support a 640x480 if the dip switch is off). It looks absolutely terrible with the 15khz switch on (which is weird, again because I am using a genuine 15khz arcade monitor). With the 15khz dip switch off, it looks better, but still not great. The best I got it to look was setting the video settings to 640x480 with linear filting off, the 15khz DIP switch off, and vsync on. However, even with this it still does not look right. It looks like when you use S-video from a video card to a regular CRT TV. It looks like it's not running the right resolution or something.

I also noticed vsync causes really bad slow down. While the character's are scrolling in the MVC2 intro, it almost becomes slow motion and the audio actually sounds like a tape when you warp it to a slow speed. My machine clearly is good enough as it's an Intel i7 @ 2.8ghz and the game runs at 60fps with vsync off. I have never encountered such an incredible slowdown just from enabling vsync. Is that normal at all?

Any ideas would be appreciated because I truly am at a loss in how to make this look right!

« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 08:52:49 am by DaddyLongLegs »