Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: I can't figure out how to use both a trackball and spinner in my MAME cabinet  (Read 2152 times)

DaddyLongLegs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 11, 2021, 02:23:36 pm
Hello!

I am finally finished with my cabinet and have been messing around with the software-side of things for a few weeks now.

The one thing I have not been able to figure out for the life of me is how to enable/choose which "mouse" to use in a game.

I have both hooked up to my MAME cabinet via USB. I edited the mame.ini file to enable the mouse.  When I press tab to enter the MAME settings during gameplay, I only see MOUSE_1 enabled, and it's for the spinner. So I can play Arkanoid just fine, but I can't play Marble Madness. I see no way to choose the "other" mouse in the game.

All the guides I've found online tell me how to enable one or the other, but I can't find any information on people like me who have both.

Any guidance would be REALLY appreciated! :)

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Mouse X is the number given to any mouse device it detects i.e. you could have mouse 1 is real mouse, mouse 2 is spinner etc etc.

But trackball and spinner have separate configs in the mame menu.

So if you go into the tab menu and go into the P1 controls screen you will see near the bottom Track X & Y. Those are the settings for your trackball.
Go to Track X and press enter then mover your ball to the right/left and it should show up as mouse #.
Do track Y and move it up down.

For spinner there is a setting called Dial I think it is (Cant remember) Again go to Dial X and move your spinner.

That should be all you need to do in MAME.

But some games require you to go into the service menu to enable the trackball/spinner on a individual game basis.

DarthMarino

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 02:16:09 pm
Make sure Multimouse is enabled.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:30:12 am
  • Flap Flap Flap
Make sure you're not using a hacked version of Mame that forces directinput. You need rawinput, or at least I did in order to get my 2 spinners and a trackball working individually after enabling multimouse in Mame (one of the latest versions).

DaddyLongLegs

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 11, 2021, 02:23:36 pm
Thanks for all the replies, all!

Make sure you're not using a hacked version of Mame that forces directinput. You need rawinput, or at least I did in order to get my 2 spinners and a trackball working individually after enabling multimouse in Mame (one of the latest versions).

I am using GroovyMAME. It's definitely a "fork" of MAME. Does it force directinput though?