Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Am I doing something wrong? Games not running in their native resolution on CRT  (Read 2938 times)

DaddyLongLegs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 11, 2021, 02:23:36 pm
Hello!

I could be wrong but I believe my MAME cabinet is not displaying games in their native resolutions. I am using a brand new 25" Wells Gardner k7400 and I was previously using an ArcadeVGA 5000 card. I switched to an ATI HD6000 series card and CRT Emudriver.

I noticed when I used the ArcadeVGA, Windows would actually give me the option of 320x240. With CRT Emudriver, I am only given the option of 640x480 and I can't choose anything else. I don't know if this means anything. Anyway, I feel like CRT Emudriver is not giving me as good of an image as it should, and I am pretty sure it's something wrong on my end.

I have a real Killer Instinct arcade cabinet so I am able to compare it to the MAME cabinet using CRT Emudriver. While it looks pretty close, the CRT EMudriver one appears a bit "soft"; almost like a bit of scaling and filtering was going on. Then I noticed this:

It says it is a 320x240 game, but it is being ran at 640x480? That is a bit odd, correct? I would expect something like Tekken 2 to do that; but not this game.

Is there something wrong in my CRT Emudriver settings? I followed the guide every step of the way, so I am not sure what is up.

Any guidance would be really appreciated!!

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 08:06:32 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Is 240p actually installed? 320x240p? 2560x240p? Check ArcadeOSD for your list of installed resolutions and see what's there. ArcadeOSD should be in the same directory as VMM, where you unpacked crt_emudriver. You need the modes first: GM takes a mode with the right vertical resolution and recalculates from that. If those resolutions aren't there, follow the install guide for the RAdeon HD 5000-series and newer cards - http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?id=301 I see you've said you followed the guide, but if the resolutions aren't there, you've missed something.

If the right resolutions are there, in particular 2560x240p... GM can use either native resolutions or super resolutions (or something entirely different) it just depends how you set it up. For a newer build of GM like 0.180 or newer, open mame.ini and try setting "resolution" to 2560x0 and the super resolution trigger (whatever it's called, mb super-width) to 2560.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 04:02:00 am by buttersoft »

DaddyLongLegs

• Offline Offline
Is 240p actually installed? 320x240p? 2560x240p? Check ArcadeOSD for your list of installed resolutions and see what's there. ArcadeOSD should be in the same directory as VMM, where you unpacked crt_emudriver. You need the modes first: GM takes a mode with the right vertical resolution and recalculates from that. If those resolutions aren't there, follow the install guide for the RAdeon HD 5000-series and newer cards - http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?id=301 I see you've said you followed the guide, but if the resolutions aren't there, you've missed something.

If the right resolutions are there, in particular 2560x240p... GM can use either native resolutions or super resolutions (or something entirely different) it just depends how you set it up. For a newer build of GM like 0.180 or newer, open mame.ini and try setting "resolution" to 2560x0 and the super resolution trigger (whatever it's called, mb super-width) to 2560.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!! You are a life saver!! I had clicked on the "Generate Modes" button but I must have somehow skipped the "Install Modes" button!

I think I was going nuts because I am using Windows 10, and Windows 10  absolutely refuses to show ARCADE_15 in the display properties, so I figured it had something to do with that. Apparently it has nothing to do with that at all!

Man, CRT_Emudriver is completely amazing!!  320x240 in 2017 is glorious!!! Thank you SO MUCH!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 06:07:55 am by DaddyLongLegs »

DaddyLongLegs

• Offline Offline

Actually if I may pick your brain for a moment...

I noticed in your post you said "Is 240p actually installed? 320x240p? 2560x240p?". I see you asked them as two separate things. I have 2560x240p showing up in ArcadeOSD, but not 320x240p. Do you know why this might be?

Also, what is the difference between using super resolutions and native resolutions?

Thank you so much in advance.

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
A while back i decided i'd written this stuff out too many times. Read section d) of this link - https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/87668-A-guide-to-connecting-your-Windows-PC-to-an-SD-CRT-TV-PVM-or-Arcade-Monitor

DaddyLongLegs

• Offline Offline
A while back i decided i'd written this stuff out too many times. Read section d) of this link - https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/87668-A-guide-to-connecting-your-Windows-PC-to-an-SD-CRT-TV-PVM-or-Arcade-Monitor

Thanks so much! What a great write-up! I tried to find a "thanks" button for 10 minutes before I realized it was a different forum and I didn't have an account there  :laugh2:

The one thing I am confused about is this: am I running at 15kHz? It's a standard-res Wells Gardner k7400. Windows is showing 60? Sorry if this is a really dumb question.

I am asking mostly because Demul looks pretty crummy on my MAME cabinet. It looks REALLY crappy if I choose the 15kHz setting in the emulator, which is weird to me.   ???

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
Scan rate is different to refresh rate. The latter is the frames per second, the former is the number of horizontal lines being drawn on the screen each second. See those equations in the guide I linked to. In addition, windows sometimes gets confused.

Best thing to do is go into ArcadeOSD and have good look around. Don't alter anything you aren't comfortable altering, but the scan rates for each video mode will be listed for you in there. Anything between about 15.5kHz and 16.2kHz is considered to fall in the 15kHz range.

Demul is meant to run at 480p, maybe? So you want to be using 640x480i? That's still a 15kHz mode (again, look at the equations in the guide). Looks fine when i use it :)

DaddyLongLegs

• Offline Offline
Scan rate is different to refresh rate. The latter is the frames per second, the former is the number of horizontal lines being drawn on the screen each second. See those equations in the guide I linked to. In addition, windows sometimes gets confused.

Best thing to do is go into ArcadeOSD and have good look around. Don't alter anything you aren't comfortable altering, but the scan rates for each video mode will be listed for you in there. Anything between about 15.5kHz and 16.2kHz is considered to fall in the 15kHz range.

Demul is meant to run at 480p, maybe? So you want to be using 640x480i? That's still a 15kHz mode (again, look at the equations in the guide). Looks fine when i use it :)

Thanks! If you are using a 15khz monitor, give it a shot. Click the dip switch to force 15khz mode. Marvel vs Capcom 2 should run in 15khz but it looks terrible on my arcade monitor. I have no idea why.

640x480i looks OK...but not as good as I know it can look