Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: NES/SNES Classic hacking, mods, ect.  (Read 31768 times)

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:12:01 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: NES/SNES Classic hacking, mods, ect.
« Reply #120 on: November 29, 2017, 05:15:51 pm »
Yeah, but the console version that was going to support everything.... what happened?
The firmware, PCBs, and custom AVR all went fine, but from what I've heard there has been a combination of job changes, life changes, and -- most of all -- cable fabrication problems.

By my estimate, the KickStarter rewards would have involved fabricating over 1000 controller adapter cables.

On November 9th, Bruno posted this on the KickStarter page comments section.
@Chris: Unfortunately I'm relying on Kevin and Jon for updates about the remaining shipments. Since I don't have 100% of visibility of their agenda and how they plan to fulfill the remaining pledges, I'm kinda tied up for new updates.

I'm asking them for a plan and timelines and I will share with you guys once I have them. Even better, I will ask them to participate more here, by providing updates!

We're doing the cables and soldering ourselves. It's a pain, it takes time and both Kevin and Jon are super busy with their personal lives. We suck at delivering, I'm fully aware of that, but that doesn't turn us into a bunch of thieves and scammers, so I deserve the right to not respond to offensive messages, even though I would probably be super angry too if I was a backer and I still didn't receive my stuff. But I can assure you that the product is ready, only remaining stuff are the cables soldering, and every backer should be getting the rewards still in 2017.

Scott

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #121 on: November 29, 2017, 05:38:22 pm »
Yeah, but the console version that was going to support everything.... what happened?
The firmware, PCBs, and custom AVR all went fine, but from what I've heard there has been a combination of job changes, life changes, and -- most of all -- cable fabrication problems.

By my estimate, the KickStarter rewards would have involved fabricating over 1000 controller adapter cables.

On November 9th, Bruno posted this on the KickStarter page comments section.
@Chris: Unfortunately I'm relying on Kevin and Jon for updates about the remaining shipments. Since I don't have 100% of visibility of their agenda and how they plan to fulfill the remaining pledges, I'm kinda tied up for new updates.

I'm asking them for a plan and timelines and I will share with you guys once I have them. Even better, I will ask them to participate more here, by providing updates!

We're doing the cables and soldering ourselves. It's a pain, it takes time and both Kevin and Jon are super busy with their personal lives. We suck at delivering, I'm fully aware of that, but that doesn't turn us into a bunch of thieves and scammers, so I deserve the right to not respond to offensive messages, even though I would probably be super angry too if I was a backer and I still didn't receive my stuff. But I can assure you that the product is ready, only remaining stuff are the cables soldering, and every backer should be getting the rewards still in 2017.

Scott

Thanks for the info, Scott.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Kangum

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 25, 2018, 07:46:20 am
« Reply #122 on: December 02, 2017, 02:50:52 pm »
the interesting thing about adding a micro sd thumb drive is you can keep the console almost stock basically and then have all your roms on the sd drive. Then the roms will only show up as an option on the console when the thumb drive is in. I plan on picking up a snes classic and only adding about 6 roms I felt they left out to keep the console as best of the best games. I do not want to make a console clusterfuc*. I have a pc that runs all snes roms if need be.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 02:54:51 pm by Kangum »

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #123 on: December 02, 2017, 11:45:37 pm »
Plenty of room for 6 roms, why bother with a thumb drive?

bigster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 16, 2022, 08:24:40 pm
« Reply #124 on: December 04, 2017, 02:37:49 pm »
Fyi.  The Nintendo store in NY had plenty of snes classics.  Is this unusual, or is Nintendo actually pumping these out at a reasonable rate?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #125 on: December 04, 2017, 08:05:09 pm »
Fyi.  The Nintendo store in NY had plenty of snes classics.  Is this unusual, or is Nintendo actually pumping these out at a reasonable rate?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

They pretty much always have a good supply - but you can only purchase a single unit from them until this year is over ( they require ID and credit card to purchase and will not sell you another if you already bought one. ) Guess they want to make sure that tourists visiting the store can pick one up while there.

As for supply elsewhere - they are doing much better this year than with the NES last year but some areas are still having problems finding them and they still pretty much sell out the day of delivery at most of the retailers.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #126 on: December 04, 2017, 08:08:24 pm »
They last about 4 hours on the shelf in Houston.  I've been semi-hunting for a second one for a month.  Not making any special trips but checking when I'm in stores that carry it.... No luck.

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2023, 07:20:31 am
  • life, don't talk to me about life
« Reply #127 on: December 05, 2017, 03:26:07 pm »
They're still stupidly difficult to get hold of in the UK. I managed to get one from Amazon France for a very good price, but that was more down to luck than design.

I'd only buy a second one if they started being available for less than retail price. But we're a long way from that.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." - Samuel Johnson

Kangum

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 25, 2018, 07:46:20 am
« Reply #128 on: December 14, 2017, 08:32:14 pm »
I havent been able to find one in local stores. They practically laugh at me when I ask. I dont want to pay a scalper but if Nintendo decides to stop selling them I may have no choice. I am hoping after christmas will be a little easier with everyone wanting them for gifts right now.

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:38:47 pm
« Reply #129 on: December 15, 2017, 08:59:28 am »
I managed to find one out of the blue at a Target awhile back, but I think that was just luck. Periodically when I go to a store that carries them (Target, Walmart, Best Buy, etc.) I take a peek in the Nintendo section. I never see any on the shelves. I feel like this is one of those "must have" gifts for the holidays and that's attributing to the shortage. Hopefully they will become more available after the new year and Nintendo keeps producing them as long as there is demand. FWIW you can get a Super Famicom mini on Amazon for as low as $102 which is a pretty reasonable price for a better looking system that is also an import. Hack that, add all the games you like, and then you're set.   ;D

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #130 on: December 15, 2017, 10:57:18 am »
Around here they have been getting restocks at one or another retailer pretty much each week - (ie. The Target by my house just got 12 last night ) - if you keep an eye on the stock tracking sites you can see which ones get them that week and find them pretty easily. I've picked up 5 ( 1 at Best Buy, 2 at Walmart and 2 at Target since release ) - kept 2 ( one to mod and one to keep stock), traded 1 to someone in Australia for their version, Sold one for cost +shipping and Paypal fee to another person stationed overseas that couldn't find one and had a sister going to visit in 1 week, and gave 1 as a birthday gift. ( Also traded my second NES for a EU/UK model ) and picked up a Japanese unit from Amazon.jp when they had the bundle with the AC adapter and postcard set for just over $100 shipped.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 11:01:57 am by JDFan »

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:38:47 pm
« Reply #131 on: December 15, 2017, 06:36:32 pm »
JDFan, the first step is admitting you have the problem. Lol!  :laugh2:

Seriously though, very nice collection going on there. You need to add the original Famicom to that. They’re pretty reasonable on Amazon.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #132 on: December 15, 2017, 08:18:05 pm »
Yup, get a Famicom and mod it to have detachable controllers.  Then install an English hmod and you're good to go.  I can't get it to dual boot to SNES in English, though.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #133 on: December 15, 2017, 09:35:26 pm »
JDFan, the first step is admitting you have the problem. Lol!  :laugh2:

Seriously though, very nice collection going on there. You need to add the original Famicom to that. They’re pretty reasonable on Amazon.

LOL - yeah I'm not quite sure how that happened but figure all 5 of them cost less than a switch and a couple games so it's not as bad as it looks  :dunno

Was waiting to see if they re-release the famicom next year also or till I find one closer to retail ( just can't see paying $100 for it when you can get a SFC or SNES instead.  :cheers:

Yup, get a Famicom and mod it to have detachable controllers.  Then install an English hmod and you're good to go.  I can't get it to dual boot to SNES in English, though.

I just did the dual mod the other day on the SNES - it took a couple tries to get it working correctly ( forgot to flash the custom kernel the first time and then forgot to copy the CLV-S-00NES folder into the games_snes  folder - but once I figured out what I had done wrong it worked great.)

Have you checked to see if any one has it working on a famicom or is there some other difference in them.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 10:14:37 pm by JDFan »

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
« Reply #134 on: December 16, 2017, 08:12:16 am »

I'm quite tempted to pick up a Famicom Mini when they're re-released next year. IMHO they look cooler than the US-styled NES Minis. However, I will probably end up keeping it as a collector's item, so I'd prefer not to mod the hardware if possible.

I think it would make more sense to leave the miniature controllers in their slots purely for aesthetic reasons, and then play games using regular USB controllers attached though an OTG splitter cable.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #135 on: December 16, 2017, 10:34:15 am »
I'm quite tempted to pick up a Famicom Mini when they're re-released next year. IMHO they look cooler than the US-styled NES Minis. However, I will probably end up keeping it as a collector's item, so I'd prefer not to mod the hardware if possible.

I think it would make more sense to leave the miniature controllers in their slots purely for aesthetic reasons, and then play games using regular USB controllers attached though an OTG splitter cable.

IF you use the connector inside the unit to remove the attached controllers you can easily make the modification reversible - It's just a single 6 pin jst connector with 4 or 5 wires connected inside the unit.

Here's a decent video tutorial of modding it - (just don't mod the original controllers to be able to use them and then they can be swappedd back in if you decide you want to reverse the mod.

! No longer available
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 10:36:31 am by JDFan »

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
« Reply #136 on: December 18, 2017, 10:48:08 am »
Surprisingly, there's been a sudden glut of SNES Minis in the UK over the past few days, which is weird when you consider how close we are to Christmas. They're actually available on Amazon right now, which hasn't been the case for months. And when I say Amazon, I mean proper Amazon, not the marketplace.

It's also quite easy to get hold of a Super Famicon Mini if you prefer the box-art and game selection (I'm tempted). They're actually selling for a bit less that the European versions.

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
« Reply #137 on: December 18, 2017, 10:51:35 am »

IF you use the connector inside the unit to remove the attached controllers you can easily make the modification reversible - It's just a single 6 pin jst connector with 4 or 5 wires connected inside the unit.

Here's a decent video tutorial of modding it - (just don't mod the original controllers to be able to use them and then they can be swappedd back in if you decide you want to reverse the mod.

! No longer available

That's not a bad option. But to be honest, if the facility to use regular USB controllers through an OTG splitter cable gets incorporated into Hakchi (and that's surely only a matter of time) then that will be even easier.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #138 on: December 21, 2017, 11:28:30 am »
I picked one up yesterday from a scalper in my extended social circle that had thrown in the towel on making any money and was dumping them at cost.  He had 5 of them he was returning to the store and wasn't getting any bites even at $100.   :lol  He did make like $600 total on 2 NES's last year, though.

JimmyU

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:38:09 am
  • I believe I can fly!
« Reply #139 on: December 21, 2017, 12:47:17 pm »
I picked one up yesterday from a scalper in my extended social circle that had thrown in the towel on making any money and was dumping them at cost.  He had 5 of them he was returning to the store and wasn't getting any bites even at $100.   :lol  He did make like $600 total on 2 NES's last year, though.
Figuring in tax at $100, you're not making more than $15 profit per system. Not really worth it.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #140 on: December 21, 2017, 12:58:29 pm »

Good. ---fudgesicle--- him.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
« Reply #141 on: January 06, 2018, 12:27:52 pm »

Good. ---fudgesicle--- him.

noticed most of the people on facebook marketplace trying to sell them for $200 when they came out have lowered their prices down in the $90-$100 range.

while I don't know if anyone paid $200 for even one i'd like to think nobody did so I could chuckle to myself.
hate scalpers.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #142 on: January 06, 2018, 02:45:23 pm »

Glad to see that Nintendo actually did come through with the supply this time around - I know I've been able to get plenty of them without really trying around here and seems to be the same in many other areas - Just waiting to see what they do with the re-release of the NES this year - seeing that there are so many fakes out there selling right now to people that can't tell the difference between the real one and the fakes/clones.

Also just got the poster I had printed of the Super Famicom post card set that came with the Amazon Japan system I ordered along with ones I made for the 3 games that weren't included in the set - to display with the boxes.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #143 on: January 06, 2018, 02:49:40 pm »
That's a cool poster man.  I've been thinking of getting the old Konami nes posters printed.  Those were pretty badass back in the day.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #144 on: January 06, 2018, 03:05:10 pm »
That's a cool poster man.  I've been thinking of getting the old Konami nes posters printed.  Those were pretty badass back in the day.

Thanks - It came out better than I had thought it would (though I did miss one place where the wrong layer was above another so one of the cards got cut off a bit ) and wasn't too costly - Picked up a set of 6 18x24 poster frames for $20 off walmart.com so about $3-$4 for the frame and another $10 - $12 for the poster print at Office Depot.

If you'd like a copy of the post card scans (or the 18"x24" compilation) let me know and I'll upload them to dropbox and send you a link.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #145 on: January 06, 2018, 03:09:55 pm »
When Sega dumped the Saturn, I got all the flip cards from a Toys R Us.  I made a collage not unlike that poster...  my entire dorm wall.  And I wonder why I didn’t get laid more in college.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #146 on: January 06, 2018, 03:28:42 pm »
Heh... I'm guessing we were all like that.  Hell I'm looking at my bedroom now and with all the video game stuff it looks more like a kid's bedroom.  I'm sure that's not helping with the ladies.... not that I have an opportunity for romance atm. 

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #147 on: January 06, 2018, 03:36:03 pm »
Heh... I'm guessing we were all like that.  Hell I'm looking at my bedroom now and with all the video game stuff it looks more like a kid's bedroom.  I'm sure that's not helping with the ladies.... not that I have an opportunity for romance atm.

IF you decide you want to print the Konami box arts - Here is a site that has some good hi-res pics of the NES boxart for most of the games - ( https://www.giantbomb.com/gradius/3030-15508/images/ ) - mostly around 1600 x 2100 pixels - Just search the game you want and go to images and look for the hi res scan of boxart - right click and open in new tab to get to the pic and then right click save as to download.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 03:38:07 pm by JDFan »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #148 on: January 06, 2018, 04:37:52 pm »
Thanks man.