Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: After Burner cabinet mame fully functional  (Read 5649 times)

rob1234

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 23, 2022, 07:40:58 am
  • I'm a llama!
After Burner cabinet mame fully functional
« on: October 08, 2017, 11:09:15 am »
I bought an After Burner cabinet several months back that had a bad board. I later found out nobody is willing to work on these boards anymore due to the faulty processors that are no longer available. I decided to go ahead and attempt to mame the cabinet to be able to play all the flying games. I had attempted this process several years ago by putting an afterburner control panel into a standard cabinet. I didn’t have the functionality of the shaker motor, the warning lights or the radar lock on. I knew these elements were what made the game so much fun in the arcade, so I started the process of figuring out how to make everything work utilizing mame. I couldn’t find any information where anyone else has successfully done this in the past and posted details. I hope this helps anyone in the future looking to complete the same process.

I uploaded the video below to YouTube showing everything working.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 11:12:03 am by rob1234 »

rob1234

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
Re: After Burner cabinet mame fully functional
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 11:38:20 am »
Here are the images of the relay board and the power setup associated with it. You need to use this board along with the original power system in order to supply the power needed on the shaker motor. The Pac Drive or Ledwiz is what is used to power the inputs of the board.

I had to replace the relay on the SSR board. Link below
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00B888YME/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1494298282&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=KF0604D&dpPl=1&dpID=41ZrVeHmc%2BL&ref=plSrch
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 05:23:41 pm by rob1234 »

rob1234

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 11:41:53 am »
I used an APAC for the flight controls and a Pac Drive (Later switched to LEDWIZ) for the lights and shaker motor outputs. The PACDRIVE was an older board and was always engaging the shaker motor while windows was loading. I used LEDBLINKY for the mame outputs. The original afterburner tom does not have outputs so the ahaker motor and lights don’t work on mame, but afterburner 2 does have the outputs in mame. I used joytokey for programming the flight stick. I was able to get the flight stick to scroll the game list for hyperspin.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 08:30:43 pm by rob1234 »

killerinstinct

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 28, 2021, 11:24:17 am
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 11:58:21 am »
Nice work

mozzie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 02, 2022, 03:52:21 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 09:22:29 am »
Hi
Awesome project. I’m attempting to do the same thing so thank you this is very useful. Have you been able to use the flight stick for other flight games both within MAME and other emulators?
Cheers

rob1234

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 09:27:53 am »
I have been able to use the controls for some other flight games within mame. I started messing with the nes emulator so I could play captain skyhawk. I had it working but it was very glitchy.

mozzie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 02, 2022, 03:52:21 am
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2020, 04:43:08 am »
Hi
I’ve got the Afterburner scratch built cab constructed awaiting my HyperMarquee. All games are working with Ultimarc Apack and PacDrive with multiple games. What I’m struggling with is setting up PacDrive and Afterburner 2. Can you explain how you setup MAME outputs with PacDrive to get the lights working?
cheers

digitaldocc

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 02, 2022, 11:14:36 am
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2022, 08:45:17 am »
Did you ever figure out how to connect Mame outputs to get the lights working on lock on etc? Maybe even figure out how to get the shaker going?