Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: My Project(s) "Racers Paradise" Work in progress...  (Read 11078 times)

shaolindrunkard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 11:13:43 am
My Project(s) "Racers Paradise" Work in progress...
« on: October 07, 2017, 07:20:59 pm »
So I've been working on all this for a bit and decided now was the time to show off the progress. My project(s) is called racers paradise. It started last year when I found 2 non working midway cabs on craigslist for 100 bucks. My ultimate goal was/is to have a 4 player Lan set up in my basement. Eventually I secured another non working midway cab so I now have a total of 3 and am searching for the 4th.

But as time went on I realized I really wanted a cab for my man cave room in the upstairs of my house. It gets cold in my basement in the winter and I don't get down there as much as I'd like to so I wanted something I could play all the time... I considered using one of the midway cabs but unfortunately the doorway to my room is too small to fit the cab through...

So I decided to scratch build one. And below you will see the results. I just finished the building part and wanted to take pictures of it before I take it apart and move on to the painting and cosmetic portion of the build. I'm pretty happy with how its turning out.... The plan is to paint the entire thing and the apply carbon fiber vinyl on the sides and base. The dash is from a Cruis'n world machine. I was lucky enough to find the dash on Craigslist for 40 bucks...

These builds will be using Xbox 360 controllers as the guts to control the PC/Xbox 360 or possibly Xbox One. Its is compatible with both PC and Xbox 360 so I can play games like Hydro thunder hurricane, Midnight Club LA and the 360 version of Daytona USA. I've tested all of these games and they work well... I use a "pad hack" method to wire the original arcade controls to the analog control on the xbox 360 controller. No FFB is possible with this setup but it doesn't bother me at all... I do have vibration working however. I used the FFB motor from the midway cabs wired to a relay to create a huge shaker motor that vibrates the seat. It works very well. I also created a resistance system for the wheel using exercise bands so that the wheel will center itself...

I forgot to take a picture but I have two buttons behind the steering wheel. I drilled into the steering wheel hoop itself and set two buttons into it. This puts the buttons very close to your hands and makes them feel almost like triggers.

This box is where the PC will go. I have a sequential shifter, cup holder and an 8way "Mini Grip Stick" from ultimarc. The flight stick allows me to navigate game menus easily as well as the xbox 360 menu system and also works for the flight portions of Sonic and allstars racing transformed, as well as the game Distance. It also allows me to pull back and throw power ups backwards in games like Mario Kart and Blur.

This is the resitance system I made to center the wheel. I was able to use the original gear that was used for FFB

I bought this foot rest off ebay for 15 bucks. Much easier than building one...

And finally here is one of the midway cabs I'm working on. Its semi taken apart right now but I just have to put the flight stick back on and it will be functioning again.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Re: My Project(s) "Racers Paradise" Work in progress...
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 08:53:17 pm »
Ok, so I saw ‘man cave’ and my eyes started to roll, then I saw the build pics.... nicely done. I mean that!
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:33:19 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 09:12:31 pm »
Yeah. There is some really good stuff in this build.

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 09:18:23 pm »
Ok, so I saw ‘man cave’ and my eyes started to roll, then I saw the build pics.... nicely done. I mean that!

I know I know, I don't really know what else to call it. I have a 3 bedroom house and I have no kids so my wife and I each have a room. Hers is the
"Craft Room" even though she doesn't really do much crafting in there and mine is the "man cave" even thought there's no beer fridge or Foosball table... its where my computer is basically...

Thanks for the compliment though!

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 09:19:27 pm »
Yeah. There is some really good stuff in this build.

Thanks bud.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 09:26:06 pm »

I know I know, I don't really know what else to call it. I have a 3 bedroom house and I have no kids so my wife and I each have a room. Hers is the
"Craft Room" even though she doesn't really do much crafting in there and mine is the "man cave" even thought there's no beer fridge or Foosball table... its where my computer is basically...

Thanks for the compliment though!

We're trying to make 'Nerd Dungeon' a thing...

Seriously, nice work on that.

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 09:37:24 pm »
Nerd Dungeon... I like it.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 10:29:52 pm »
Nerd Dungeon or Secret Lair.... either one works for me, but not man cave.... not only is it a marketing slogan, but it makes it sound like you are some dumb grunt or something. 

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:33:19 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 11:49:06 pm »
Yeah. I have had enough of the stupid and incompetent man marketing garbage.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2017, 02:05:32 am »
Cool build!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 08:36:33 pm by BadMouth »

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2024, 07:22:01 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2017, 04:28:18 pm »
Awesome work mate, looking good!

mickael28

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 01, 2020, 07:56:15 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2017, 05:53:02 pm »

Wow, pretty cool stuff there mate, I mean... holly sh*t! :)

One doubt regarding the flightstick. I was trying to find some kind of arcade flightstick like that but with USB connection for the PC. I've seen a few analog flightsticks and they seem to have a massive deadzone to play arcade games...

Do you by any chance know of any arcade style flightstick which can be used in PC (with USB or similar if possible)?
Or if not, can you let me know if that one you've got there is analog or digital - I always have the doubt regarding those joysticks?

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2017, 07:35:04 pm »
Awesome work mate, looking good!

Thanks friend!

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2017, 07:36:55 pm »
Fantastic job so far, really smart way to have a 4 way and a high/low shifter!
Im assuming radio also acts as your camera 4 button, how are you coining up?
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2017, 07:47:55 pm »

Wow, pretty cool stuff there mate, I mean... holly sh*t! :)

One doubt regarding the flightstick. I was trying to find some kind of arcade flightstick like that but with USB connection for the PC. I've seen a few analog flightsticks and they seem to have a massive deadzone to play arcade games...

Do you by any chance know of any arcade style flightstick which can be used in PC (with USB or similar if possible)?
Or if not, can you let me know if that one you've got there is analog or digital - I always have the doubt regarding those joysticks?

That is the Mini Grip Stick made by Ultimarc. It is an 8 way digital stick. It works very well, my only complaint is it feels a little cheap. A lot of people use usb flight sticks made for the PC for arcade games. I don't have much experience with that so I don't know which would have dead zones or not. But you could try some of the ones made by the company Siatek. I've heard they make quality stuff.

I considered putting an analog flight stick on here. but it wasnt really worth the time and expense. I could have wired a flight stick to the right analog stick on the 360 controller but this digital stick actually works out great for me. It's wired as the d-pad. So it works to control menus in virtually every application and allows me to play games that normally would only work with a controller. Its not perfect but it works for my purposes.

I've actually stated to mod the stick a bit as well. I took the restrictior off and it basically makes the stick have a round gate so it feels more analog when you move it. I'm also looking in to getting some quiet micro switches for it so it wont be so clicky.

My plan is to make a second menu on the machine when its done that has all shmups, kind of like a bonus menus so I can play those games as well...

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2017, 07:50:20 pm »
I think keeping it as just a control for your menus is the way to go. Back and off to the side is a janky way to play any games.

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2017, 07:54:20 pm »
Fantastic job so far, really smart way to have a 4 way and a high/low shifter!
Im assuming radio also acts as your camera 4 button, how are you coining up?

Thanks buddy. Yeah it was important to me to be able to play both types of games as they were meant to be played.

Most likely yeah that button will be the 4th camera button although I don't change the camera very often in games like Daytona so I'm not too worried about that. I've got two buttons on the back of the wheel also so If I need to I can use one of those for coin. Also if the game uses the H shifter I can use the up and down on the High/Low shifter as extra buttons as well.

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2017, 07:57:21 pm »
I think keeping it as just a control for your menus is the way to go. Back and off to the side is a janky way to play any games.

Its actually not as bad as you would think when you sit in it. My arm is fairly comfortable in that position. Any non driving games that I put on there will be in a separate bonus menu and wont be the focus of the machine...

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:08:43 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2017, 08:02:35 pm »
I'm also looking in to getting some quiet micro switches for it so it wont be so clicky.
LS-32/Zippyy switches work, but you'll probably want to "tune" them a bit by bending the lever arm up a few degrees.

Green zone = OK to bend
Red zone = Avoid bending

https://paradisearcadeshop.com/microswitches/239-seimitsu-ls-32-zippyy-joystick-upgrade-kit.html

Scott

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2017, 08:26:46 pm »
I'm also looking in to getting some quiet micro switches for it so it wont be so clicky.
LS-32/Zippyy switches work, but you'll probably want to "tune" them a bit by bending the lever arm up a few degrees.

Green zone = OK to bend
Red zone = Avoid bending

https://paradisearcadeshop.com/microswitches/239-seimitsu-ls-32-zippyy-joystick-upgrade-kit.html

Scott

Thanks for the tip! I literally just ordered a set. Right before I saw your message.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2017, 08:51:51 pm »
I cleaned up the thread.
Hopefully nobody is too upset by it.
In retrospect it was improper to delete posts that don't violate any rules and I will not do it again.
I should have split the unrelated posts into their own thread.

Keep up the good work shaolindrunkard.  Keep posting progress pics.

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2017, 09:20:07 pm »
I cleaned up the thread.
Hopefully nobody is too upset by it.
In retrospect it was improper to delete posts that don't violate any rules and I will not do it again.
I should have split the unrelated posts into their own thread.

Keep up the good work shaolindrunkard.  Keep posting progress pics.

Thanks BadMouth. I wasn't too worried that the thread took a turn, but its nice to get it back on track.

By the way. I remember your build thread from long ago. I remember you were talking about how stiff the brake pedal was on the Sega pedals. I had to completely disassemble mine to clean them up. I discovered that there is a rubber stopper shoved under the brake pedal. You can actually remove it and once you do it makes the brake pedal feel the same as the gas pedal. I'm actually gonna put my own piece of foam in there to give the brake a little resistance but not nearly as much as the original feel... Not sure if you knew about that...

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2017, 10:04:14 pm »
Nothing wrong with some clean up,wish more threads on here got fixed.

Forgot to mention, love the peg board behind the monitor, good for ventilation and you can put some hooks to hold a wireless keyboard/mouse.

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2017, 10:13:23 pm »
Nothing wrong with some clean up,wish more threads on here got fixed.

Forgot to mention, love the peg board behind the monitor, good for ventilation and you can put some hooks to hold a wireless keyboard/mouse.

Thank for the tip. I actually hadn't though of that!

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2017, 11:12:51 pm »
Yeah, I’m not upset you cleaned it up, but I’m not a fan of getting rid of some of the flavor that goes into a thread as it organically evolves. That was a good, civil discussion of ‘man cave’ and I don’t see why it got deleted.

Oh, and...

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2017, 12:21:04 am »
Eh I can't remember the last time someone started a discussion and it didn't go off the rails. 

So the little analog joystick.... is that gonna be for flight stick games or what?

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2017, 04:23:02 am »
As I said earlier in the tread its actually a digital stick. Its wired as the Xbox 360 D-pad.

Its serves a few purposes.

#1 It works to control menus, I can control menus left/right with the wheel but not up/down obviously. Also in some games the menus are very sensitive so turning a wheel sometimes results in going past what you are looking to select so this just makes it easy to choose things in menus.

#2 It allows me to play games that you normally cant play with a wheel only. In Sonic and allstars racing transformed there are flight sections, I can actually play the flight sections with this joystick. Its not as good as an analog stick but it works.

In games like Mario Kart and Blur. I can actually pull back on the stick and fire a power up backwards at my opponents. A mechanic that you sometimes cant pull off with just a wheel.

I can also play the Crash mode in Burnout 3 and Revenge and control the After touch in order to crash into more vehicles.

And it some of the Need For Speed games you use the D-pad to deploy spike strips if you are playing as a cop or EMPs if you are playing as a racer. It works for that too.

#3 And finally I am going to probably create a second bonus menu in the front end that has all Shmups. Since its an 8 way digital stick and most Shmups use an 8-way stick it should work out well as a little bonus... Because its digital it wont be great for actual analog flight stick games, but I may try it with games like Space Harrier since that game does seem to work pretty good even with a digital stick...

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2017, 07:59:29 am »
Video of you playing galaga with the wheel and using the gas pedal to shoot please.  :applaud:

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2017, 08:23:39 am »
 :D That'd be hilarious. 

jackiabu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 04, 2020, 02:55:25 pm
    • http://jackiabu.blogspot.com/
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2017, 04:35:30 pm »
Great work man  :applaud:

for the flight stick i recommend you this one :
https://www.fspilotshop.com/thrustmaster-flight-hotas-flight-stick-p-6337.html

i myself use them and very happy , Great for after burner ,G lock, etc.

Here is my cab: http://jackiabu.blogspot.co.il/2012/

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2017, 05:22:38 pm »
Nice one.

MTPPC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2021, 02:25:46 pm
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2017, 08:23:53 pm »
I still have this and you could hook the controls up to an ultimarc a-pac or something like that.

http://pinballmd.com/flight-controls-from-a-sega-wing-war/
Pinball and Video Arcade Repair in Billings, MT USA
http://pinballmd.com/

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2017, 09:15:08 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion, I'm about at my spending limit for this project. I may try to add an analog flight stick some day in the future. If so I can actually just hack the analog stick on the 360 controller and use that for the input.

Thanks anyway.

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2017, 03:17:55 pm »
Just an update, I'm nearing completion on my single unit setup. Should have it playable by this weekend or early next week (cross my fingers). I apologize for not taking pictures of the process but as I have said before I don't have ready access to a good camera right now. I'd be happy to answer any questions regarding the building once its done though. I'm not big on stopping work to take pictures anyways. I had to borrow my wife's phone to take the pictures in the original post. But anyway I will probably use her phone again when its done and take more pics and also maybe take a video.

Honestly I just cant wait to play it!

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2017, 12:29:42 am »
Here we go, pictures and video arent great because I only have a gopro so there is a bit of fish eye going on, but you get the idea...

Thanks go to BadMouth for putting work into the Racing forum for all these years, Howard for all his hard work on the FXT mod, having the seat rumble is awesome when playing Outrun 2k6! You can actually feel the road... And Mr Thunderwing for always answering my questions whenever I needed some info on a particular game!

Overview

Gameplay

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2024, 07:22:01 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2017, 05:56:41 am »
It's looking great dude, well done!

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2017, 09:36:38 am »
Thanks!

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2017, 11:00:43 am »
Video of you playing galaga with the wheel and using the gas pedal to shoot please.  :applaud:

Almost forgot!

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2017, 12:48:28 pm »

Almost forgot!

That looks too difficult.

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2017, 01:28:57 pm »
It is, its just for goofs anyway.