Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Sega turbo restore  (Read 7158 times)

orion

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2022, 03:58:03 pm
Sega turbo restore
« on: October 07, 2017, 06:54:19 pm »
So I bought a Sega Turbo today because the price was right and my 9 year old son wanted a racing game. I have to say this is with out a doubt the dirtiest cab I have ever bought. It's so bad I'm not sure what I've gotten myself into. I'm going to have to figure out the best way to clean this up, but I really got no idea how to go at it, it's that bad!!!!I took my shop vac to it, also the leaf blower and there is still a ton of what looks like mouse droppings down on the bottom of the cab and in the power supply. The game boots, and plays. Can't really make out the monitor very well but at this point I don't know if it needs a cap kit or just a good cleaning and adjustment, but it works. The steering wheel doesn't work, car just drifts all the way to the right. I can feel an encoder wheel in the steering column and I don't know if it just needs cleaning or if it's a bad wire or something. The giant 10 or 12 inch woofer is rotten, some lamps are not working. I can't tell how to get the back glass off or the control panel off at this point so if anyone knows how to do that, that would be helpful!!!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 08:22:21 am by orion »

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: Sega turbo restore... or how to clean rat poop
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 02:18:11 am »
Do you have access to compressed air? A decent pressure air gun will shift most of the dust etc but make sure you wear a mask and do it in a well ventilated area.

Thats gana be a dirty job!!

Good luck!

dramaone

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2018, 03:48:53 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 06:05:00 am »

Nice cab.
My Sega Monaco GP cockpit has a very similar control panel.
It has two latches either side of the control panel inside the cab. Just release them both but be careful the panel does not then fall out the floor!
Steering could well be lose wires to optical board, failed opto's or even dirty opto's !

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 05:24:42 pm »
 OH FOR FUN!! Don't feel cheated just yet, as we can fix this.... Thing with mice, is the urine is corrosive, and they chew wire, First get a couple of these, http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1308336 and set them in the bottom as your working on this machine, (replace them as necessary) and starting at the top, start with a warm  bleach water rag on the wood working down removing things, and replacing corroded hardware as necessary (ammonia and bleach DO NOT MIX) so use ventilating precautions....As you are cleaning , keep a sharp eye for chewed wire, It doesn't need to be done all at once, those sponges actually work, and will remove the smell as you work, not just mask it .... I would use a vacuum and respirator rather than compressed air as you remove things, and clean, clean, clean.

orion

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 01:00:07 pm »

Nice cab.
My Sega Monaco GP cockpit has a very similar control panel.
It has two latches either side of the control panel inside the cab. Just release them both but be careful the panel does not then fall out the floor!
Steering could well be lose wires to optical board, failed opto's or even dirty opto's !

Got it! I had found the two latches but this game also has two bolts on the front of the control panel that also need to be removed before the control panel and back glass can come out. Yes the opto might be dirty or flakey. Also the monitor is completely lacking the green channel. Could just be a damaged wire, if not guess I'll be sending the chassis out for repairs.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 01:23:08 pm by orion »

orion

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 01:20:36 pm »
OH FOR FUN!! Don't feel cheated just yet, as we can fix this.... Thing with mice, is the urine is corrosive, and they chew wire, First get a couple of these, http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1308336 and set them in the bottom as your working on this machine, (replace them as necessary) and starting at the top, start with a warm  bleach water rag on the wood working down removing things, and replacing corroded hardware as necessary (ammonia and bleach DO NOT MIX) so use ventilating precautions....As you are cleaning , keep a sharp eye for chewed wire, It doesn't need to be done all at once, those sponges actually work, and will remove the smell as you work, not just mask it .... I would use a vacuum and respirator rather than compressed air as you remove things, and clean, clean, clean.

I got most of the loose stuff out of the bottom of the cab (still a rats nest in the marquee, and I need to drill the lock to the coin box, so don't know what's in there). I took the game into my driveway and used my shop vac  and leaf blower, wore a dust mask. Unfortunately the transformer, power supply, audio amp fuse blocks and what I'm guessing is a regulator are all encrusted in dried droppings. I can't get it off with a brush even, so I know I'm going to have to douse those parts with a hose and some simple green or something and a brush. The cab is entirely plywood it seems and has been painted inside and out, so I'm going to remove the monitor, PCB and some other PCBs that are unique to this game and just go to town. Planning to hit the insides that aren't electrical with a strong solution of soap and bleach with a scrub brush. After that my plan is to just dry everything as best I can and then saturate all the electronics in the bottom of the cab with isopropyl alcohol. My thinking is that the alcohol will displace as much of the water as possible and will evaporate much more quickly. I plan on letting the electronics dry for a couple of weeks or months while I do the work to the cab. I feel like I'm going to have to be supper aggressive with the cleaning because it's really nasty and my son has bad allergies. Don't want this in the house unless I can get all the mouse waste out of it. If anything it will be good exercise in how far you can push cleaning a machine without totally destroying it. I've thought it though though and I do think I can save it.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 02:47:12 pm »
    You should just replace the fuse blocks, that's problem area on a good day, But yes most everything else can be washed, even the boards and monitor,   the platting on brackets and such most likely has been compromised by the corrosive and probably has already started to rust, Caswell makes a really awesome home plating kit, (Few years ago we would be discussing Jenns big acid vats ;)) or just replace them, most of that stuff is pretty easy to find.... And those Oder sponges really do work, set them in there as you work on this thing, Over time they will turn black as they suck up the smell, yes you heard that right, SUCK UP THE SMELL, not just mask it, totally amazing....don't saturate the cab with wet,  as it dries it will cause the edges to separate, You will be better off to clean multiple times less aggressively.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 02:54:56 pm by jennifer »

orion

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 06:59:41 pm »
    You should just replace the fuse blocks, that's problem area on a good day, But yes most everything else can be washed, even the boards and monitor,   the platting on brackets and such most likely has been compromised by the corrosive and probably has already started to rust, Caswell makes a really awesome home plating kit, (Few years ago we would be discussing Jenns big acid vats ;)) or just replace them, most of that stuff is pretty easy to find.... And those Oder sponges really do work, set them in there as you work on this thing, Over time they will turn black as they suck up the smell, yes you heard that right, SUCK UP THE SMELL, not just mask it, totally amazing....don't saturate the cab with wet,  as it dries it will cause the edges to separate, You will be better off to clean multiple times less aggressively.

I hope I don't have any serious corrosion on any of those boards, they seem to work though. I'm familiar with the home plating kits and the electolosis rust remover methods and aluminum anodizing . They all seem pretty neat, and it's really cool what you can do at home. Some of those processes involve some caustic stuff though. Those sponges do look pretty cool! I'll probably pick up a few for some of my other cabs at some point. This cabs pretty solid, I think the top is made from either particle board or chip board... can't really tell by looking at it, as it's really that dirty. I can probably get away with a bleach rubdown on the sides, but I'm going to have to soak the bottom of the cab. If I have to replace it, I can deal with that.

orion

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 08:13:11 pm »
I took the machine apart and doused everything with a garden hose, simple green and dishwashing detergent. The cabinet didn't seem to suffer for it any and it was completely dry in a few hours. It was in the mid 80s this weekend. Next weekend I'll put it all back together and see if the electronics are in the same shape as they were before I took the hose to them.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 10:59:20 am »
I was going to say dishwasher without the heated dry phase, let then air dry and hit them with the air hose to make sure you root out any water in the nooks and crannies.
Now's a good time to check all the solder joints and traces on the boards.

orion

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 11:34:20 pm »
I have heard of folks using their dishwasher to clean PCBs. I have to say that the simple green seemed to really work. I used my leaf blower help dry everything. Your right, once the board is cleaned it's easy to see bad solder joints ect. Haven't looked at the main board stack yet, but the logic board has some damage, probably from the rats urinating on it. Have some rusted pads on the thing. Guess I should try some flux and solder to clean those up?

orion

• Offline Offline
Re: Sega turbo restore
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2017, 08:25:55 am »
Got everything cleaned and painted and put back together again. The game is working except the optical encoder board is fried so I ordered a NOS one to replace it.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:33:13 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2017, 08:58:00 am »
Cool. Let's have some pics. My son loves Turbo. I have a Monaco GP cockpit. It is similar, but just not as good according to my son.

orion

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2017, 08:17:48 am »
Ok, here are some photos. You know I've never actually played turbo. I won't be able to either until I get the optical board in and the control panel back together. That's all I have left to do.

orion

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2017, 08:20:54 am »
One more

matsadona

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 28, 2023, 06:00:12 am
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2017, 04:45:23 am »
Well done so far. I would love to have that game in my basement   :applaud:
Building, collecting and playing arcade machines :)

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2017, 11:29:16 am »
I see you have the new speaker in. I ended up having to buy a new woofer twice. I have the European cabinet style and apparently it has a different size than the American one, so now I just have a 12" speaker sitting around here with nothing to do with it.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

orion

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2017, 10:10:50 pm »
Well done so far. I would love to have that game in my basement   :applaud:

Thanks! I've got it mostly done now and it's down in my basement getting lots of use. It's my kids favorite game we have now, very addictive. I am going to get the high score save kit and I am going to recap the power regulator, amp and monitor and I will be completely done with it.

orion

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2017, 10:20:14 pm »
I see you have the new speaker in. I ended up having to buy a new woofer twice. I have the European cabinet style and apparently it has a different size than the American one, so now I just have a 12" speaker sitting around here with nothing to do with it.

I had to replace all the speakers as they were all shot. The 4inch ones were super cheap though and sound really good. This game with the volume cranked up is crazy loud! Does the European cabinet look much different then then the American version? That sucks that you had to buy another speaker, have you considered buying another 12 and two of the 4s and a couple of crossovers and make some stereo speakers?

https://www.parts-express.com/grs-12...oofer--292-422

https://www.parts-express.com/grs-4a...4-ohm--292-454

matsadona

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 28, 2023, 06:00:12 am
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2017, 10:24:34 am »
I miss the games like this one, and games like Atari Drag race, with external displays and gauges.
Building, collecting and playing arcade machines :)

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2017, 10:34:04 pm »

I had to replace all the speakers as they were all shot. The 4inch ones were super cheap though and sound really good. This game with the volume cranked up is crazy loud! Does the European cabinet look much different then then the American version? That sucks that you had to buy another speaker, have you considered buying another 12 and two of the 4s and a couple of crossovers and make some stereo speakers?

https://www.parts-express.com/grs-12...oofer--292-422

https://www.parts-express.com/grs-4a...4-ohm--292-454

The Euro cabinet looks like the Japanese cabinet from the early flyers, except that it is 3/4" particle board with sticker sideart instead of the slightly thinner metric wood with silk screen that the Japan home market and US export cabinets got.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

orion

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2017, 09:29:57 pm »
I miss the games like this one, and games like Atari Drag race, with external displays and gauges.

Yes they are unique that's for sure. Also not a good candidate to try and replace the PCB with MAME if it ever goes out. I don't think very many people work on them anymore and I have no idea how one would go about interfacing that with a PC or a raspberry pi. It would be a great canidate for one if the FPGA guys to tackle though.

orion

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2017, 09:38:45 pm »

The Euro cabinet looks like the Japanese cabinet from the early flyers, except that it is 3/4" particle board with sticker sideart instead of the slightly thinner metric wood with silk screen that the Japan home market and US export cabinets got.

I have never seen a picture of the Japanese cabinets and can't seem to find on with a google search either.