Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Purchased an arcade controller with arcade games built in can it be modified?  (Read 13658 times)

Allycuk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 13, 2017, 02:51:04 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Hi,I recently purchased a twin joystick arcade controller,inside the box it has a pcb with an sd card on it and a black molex type connector which connects the pcb to the joystick and buttons.
I have virtually no clue about arcade controls and was wondering if the connector is a jamma connector?
If it is a jamma connector what would I need to modify the box so that it could take a jamma pcb board?
I had my first post removed because it contained links to ebay showing the pcb inside the box and also the controller I purchased.
Can I post photos of the pcb and controller or is it against the rules?
Can someone tell me if multi-game pandora's boxes are illegal?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:47:42 am
  • Designated spam hunter
Hi,I recently purchased a twin joystick arcade controller,inside the box it has a pcb with an sd card on it and a black molex type connector which connects the pcb to the joystick and buttons.
I have virtually no clue about arcade controls and was wondering if the connector is a jamma connector?
This 56 pin edge connector is the JAMMA connector.

Standard JAMMA pinout. (your setup is slightly different)

If it is a jamma connector what would I need to modify the box so that it could take a jamma pcb board?
1. Make sure the new board will fit in the box. (different boards, different footprints)

2. Compare the pinout of the old board to the new board and rewire the JAMMA harness as needed.

Most of the wires will be the same, but a few might be different.

Can I post photos of the pcb and controller or is it against the rules?
Posting a picture you took of your setup is OK.

Linking to a picture from the vendor's site is considered a hint on where to buy them, which is not OK.
(Same goes for posting a vendor's picture/PDF with a vendor's watermark.)

Can someone tell me if multi-game pandora's boxes are illegal?
Yes, they are all illegal.

There are very few legal multi-boards/cabs. (Namco Reunion, Taito 10-in-1, Arcade Legends 3 by Chicago Gaming, etc.)

A good rule-of-thumb is that almost all of the X-in-1 boards with more than 10 games and/or games from more than one company use both unlicensed ROMS and an unlicensed/hacked version of MAME which means that they are illegal and they are ripping off the work of our friendly neighborhood MAME Devs.

Scott

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html

There are very few legal multi-boards/cabs. (Namco Reunion, Taito 10-in-1, Arcade Legends 3 by Chicago Gaming, etc.)

A good rule-of-thumb is that almost all of the X-in-1 boards with more than 10 games and/or games from more than one company use both unlicensed ROMS and an unlicensed/hacked version of MAME which means that they are illegal and they are ripping off the work of our friendly neighborhood MAME Devs.

Scott

Scott is also leaving out the 2 different Multi NeoGeo boards and the arcade SD (that can be used legally and illegally) and numerous other Namco multi boards. There arent very few, theres just a significant amount more of bootlegs.

That being said, what you bought is likely an illegal bootleg but Im giddy with anticipation of the pictures. Please do post them, and attach them to the thread and not a 3rd party host like photobucket or flickr.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 09:26:34 am by saint »
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Allycuk

• Offline Offline
Hi,I took some photos of the controller and inside it as well,I will have to use imgur I'm afraid as I am not sure how to attach the photos to the post.
I have a few noob questions I hope you might be able to answer about my controller aswell?

photos >

questions>>>

1.Can you tell me if it's possible to buy fake sanwa buttons/joysticks as my controller is supposed to have sanwa joysticks and buttons installed.
2.(can you tell me if my buttons are genuine from the photos?)
3.Can you also tell me if that's a jamma harness connecting the buttons/joysticks?
The pcb has a tf card installed which I tried to slide out but it is solid and I don't want to apply too much force incase I break the pcb.
I tried to unplug the black molex type connector but it is also solid and when I pull on it one side of the pcb is rising as it is missing a stand off screw in the left corner.
4.(Do you have any idea what type of stand-off screw it is and where I could get one?
5.Could you tell me anything about the pcb and if it is good enough quality to play the games at correct speed etc.?
6.If it is not great quality is it worth modding?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 01:24:43 pm by Allycuk »

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Lovely colour "CION" Button!  :laugh2:

They look like genuine Sanwas to me, There are fakes out there but I dont think they normally actually mould "SANWA" on them, Though I could be wrong!

As for the board its not one I have used so no idea.

But it should really be fixed using PCB feet, You can buy a pack of 4 off ebay for a few Cions.... LOL

Allycuk

• Offline Offline
LOL When I first opened the box and seen this I was a bit disappointed and considered a coin sticker but it's no biggie and I like the rest of the artwork

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:47:42 am
  • Designated spam hunter
3.Can you also tell me if that's a jamma harness connecting the buttons/joysticks?
It doesn't use a standard JAMMA edge connector so it's not a JAMMA harness.

Scott

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
it looks like the bootleg of the bootleg Pandora 3 and 4 boards. SD card slot must be on the bottom of that one, but its got all the same chips including the A13 processor. Got any pix of the on screen menu?

As for the controls, they certainly LOOK like genuine Sanwa parts.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am

Scott

Scott is also leaving out the 2 different Multi NeoGeo boards and the arcade SD (that can be used legally and illegally) and numerous other Namco multi boards. There arent very few, theres just a significant amount more of bootlegs.

That being said, what you bought is likely an illegal bootleg but Im giddy with anticipation of the pictures. Please do post them, and attach them to the thread and not a 3rd party host like photobucket or flickr.
  I must have fell off the dock or something, cause I seem to be a bit confused....#1  (that can be used legally and illegally)... #2, There arent very few  ???...#3, Why pounce on PL1, Right or wrong, he is always there with some kind of direction, not deception. A bootleg is pretty much illegal, in the real world.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 09:27:42 am by saint »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
I must have fell off the dock or something, cause I seem to be a bit confused....#1  (that can be used legally and illegally)... #2, There arent very few  ???...#3, Why pounce on PL1, Right or wrong, he is always there with some kind of direction, not deception. A bootleg is pretty much illegal, in the real world.

Arcade SD can be used legally if you only load the ROMs you own. It was designed from the ground up as a direct replacement for failing hardware.
Few is subjective . I feel that when there's a dozen or so LEGAL multi-boards I don't consider it very few. There are a significant amount of illegal bootlegs.

Allycuk

• Offline Offline
it looks like the bootleg of the bootleg Pandora 3 and 4 boards. SD card slot must be on the bottom of that one, but its got all the same chips including the A13 processor. Got any pix of the on screen menu?

As for the controls, they certainly LOOK like genuine Sanwa parts.

Hi,unfortunately I can't take any photos of the on-screen menu at the moment as it doesn't work with my samsung plasma tv as my tv is over 10 years old.
At first I thought the hdmi out was faulty but the moderator told me it's probably that my old tv just doesn't support it.....I'm taking it too my parents to try it on their tv on tuesday so if it works I will post some menu screen photos then.

I purchased this for my nephew's christmas and am disappointed that it didn't come with the pandora's box,I originally thought it might be a pcb stripped out a pb4s case (guess not).
Anyway I purchased 7 sanwa royal blue snap-in buttons(6x obsf30 and 1x obsf24)and a replacement royal blue ball top for the right controller as he doesn't like green.
I couldn't find any white 1 and 2 player start buttons the same size as the small sanwa buttons with the 2.8 micro-switches,do you have any idea where I could get these and a coin button aswell?
I intend to have a go at building an arcade twin style controller myself in future using a jamma harness but will need to find some instructions on the forum.

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2023, 01:46:23 pm
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
It is a PB4s PCB. I posted a link to a pic of one last night, and it looks exactly like yours. A mod must have deleted it because of the link, though. I can't keep up with all the different rules on the various forums I frequent...

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
It is a PB4s PCB. I posted a link to a pic of one last night, and it looks exactly like yours. A mod must have deleted it because of the link, though. I can't keep up with all the different rules on the various forums I frequent...

Be ironic if you got moderated and I didnt  :p   Just attach the pic to a post here, Im confident that pictures of a Pandora 4 are allowed.   I concur with it being at minium the same hardware with the aforementioned A13 processor.

Allycuk

• Offline Offline
Lovely colour "CION" Button!  :laugh2:

They look like genuine Sanwas to me, There are fakes out there but I dont think they normally actually mould "SANWA" on them, Though I could be wrong!

But it should really be fixed using PCB feet, You can buy a pack of 4 off ebay for a few Cions.... LOL

Can you tell me what you mean by pcb feet?
I unscrewed the pcb and it is screwed into raised metal stand-offs that are welded to the metal box of the controller.....the box is all metal with an acrylic top.
The box looks like it might be made of Aluminium to me.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
PCB feet are little plastic feet that you screw to the panel then screw the board to.
You can buy them off ebay etc.

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
Sounds like you don't need them, if the case has built-in risers. Screwing the PCB feet to the metal case would be problematic, too. I'd just leave it as it is.

Allycuk

• Offline Offline
Sounds like you don't need them, if the case has built-in risers. Screwing the PCB feet to the metal case would be problematic, too. I'd just leave it as it is.

I always thought the risers were meant to be plastic but I have also seen metal screw-in stud type risers on desktop cases for pc motherboards so I guess it should be ok.
I'm just going to leave it like you say,test it tomorrow at my parents and if video works ok and if it does I'll change the right side controller joystick ball-top and buttons to blue and wrap it up for my nephews christmas.

BTW I forgot to mention I managed to get the tf card out ....it doesn't slide out,I had to lift a metal flap/door and a sticker holds the flap down over the tf card.
I put the tf card into an adapter last night and stuck it in my laptop running win 10 but it doesn't even show up.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 01:22:36 pm by Allycuk »

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
Yeah, the card will be formatted to a Linux filesystem (EXT4, or something) so won't even show up in Windows. It may also be encrypted. I know upgrading these things isn't as simple as just copying new ROM files onto the card, though.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
Yeah, the card will be formatted to a Linux filesystem (EXT4, or something) so won't even show up in Windows.
ehhhhhhhhhhhhh you can buy software to allow windows to see it.
https://www.paragon-software.com/home/extfs-windows-pro/

I bought the software and use it a lot.

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
Yeah, the card will be formatted to a Linux filesystem (EXT4, or something) so won't even show up in Windows.
ehhhhhhhhhhhhh you can buy software to allow windows to see it.
https://www.paragon-software.com/home/extfs-windows-pro/

I bought the software and use it a lot.
I mean't Windows can't read EXT4 as standard.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:53 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
I'm going to admit it took me longer than it should have to figure out "CION" was supposed to be "COIN"

Allycuk

• Offline Offline
PL1 said that this isn't a jamma harness,does anyone have any idea as to what type of connector this is?

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
PL1 said that this isn't a jamma harness,does anyone have any idea as to what type of connector this is?

Its a Jamma harness, but not wired to a Jamma standard ie the pin outs/wires are not standard.

Tarma

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2023, 05:50:06 pm
This is a new harness plug that (an unnamed) company in China has been using for a while now on certain models of the Pandora's Box 4S and 4S+. They *only* use it for the boards that come installed in 2 person controllers like this one. The regular PB4S+ units in a Playstation 3 type case and use the standard "Chinese Jamma" set up, which looks like traditional Jamma but the pinout is different since buttons 5 and 6 are on it.

They switched to this new harness plug system about the same time that they made these 2 player units also compatible as PS3 / XBox1 / PC controllers and added a pause function. I think it has to do with that though I'm not sure.

But if you look online you can find the pinout for the 4S+ and see what I mean.

Allycuk

• Offline Offline
Well I tested it out yesterday and it works fine although I forgot to take menu pics but it has all the games listed on the left and screenshots on the right and it says pandora box 4s aswell.
When I took the tf card out of the pcb I removed a qc sticker holding the card in place and used an ordinary self adhesive label to stick it back but I think the label will have to be heat-resistant,does anyone have any idea where I can buy some heat resistant self-adhesive labels for motherboard/pcb?
I tried e-bay and can't find anything other than kapton tape and seemingly this isn't very sticky.
Would a bic pen cut up for pcb stand-off's be ok as I was thinking about sliding them over the metal stand-offs if they are wide enough that is?
Any advice appreciated as I just want to make sure it is safe for my nephew.

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
The sticker over SD card slot isn't needed. They just plonk the QC sticker there to try and dissuade people from removing the card, and doing so will probably invalidate any warranty.

Not sure what you think is so unsafe about the way the board is mounted. Adding bits of a BIC pen won't buy you anything, as far as I can see.

Allycuk

• Offline Offline
Hi,A guy at an online arcade shop told me they should be plastic aswell(don't know why they have to be either?)
If it's safe to leave the stand-off's as they are that will save me hassle.
I was just worried that the board could get shorted etc.
I can't get the SD card to stay in the slot,I must have damaged the door or am not shutting door/inserting sd correctly.
I'll need to have a look at it next week and see if I can get it shut without using an adhesive label to stick it down
This photo of the pcb shows something possibly holding the card slot closed,are you certain that the sticker is only there to try and dissuade people from removing the card?

I'm also going to hide some games on the menu and change the settings,also for some reason I couldn't get the coin button working even when changing coin in settings to 1:1 so will have to figure that out aswell.
Once I have it set-up and the blue buttons installed I can get it wrapped up for christmas.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 02:50:04 am by Allycuk »

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
Wouldnt put anything past a cheap board :p

As for feet as long as the back of the board is not touching any metal or close to then its fine.

If its only like a mm or 2 away I would rise is a little using the plastic feet.

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
Doesn't the metal cover of the SD card slot slide across slightly, locking it in place?

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
Justhe put the card in place and cover with a piece of electrical tape

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:53 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
those SD card holders are really meant to be used inside a phone where a battery or cover will hold them in place. they are pretty finicky... you have to get them just right. but I wouldn't put it past a big rock candy mountain shenzhen manufacturer to cheap out and use whatever they have (broken or otherwise.)

that photo there looks like a small gob of hot glue holding it from sliding open. not a big deal, hot glue doesn't stick particularly well. just peel it off. you can do the same for yours instead of a sticker or tape or whatever...as long as the card is pressed against the contacts, it will be okay. you can use a sticker or hot glue to hold it if need be.

I'd stick to plastic standoffs if you are making your own.  (bic pen or even bought PCB ones) the board may not be equipped to have the ground plane (if it has one on the mounts) actually be connected to ground.

it' is certainly possible to convert that to JAMMA so you could use a pandora's box or something like that... it would be a pain in the butt if you don't know what you are doing though. just a matter of hacking off the connector and wiring the buttons etc. to the appropriate positions.

clok

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2018, 10:58:39 pm
  • I can play PacMan till the screen splits!
I just picked up the 6+ (knock off of a knock off) From some reading its a Copy of a copy so to speak. An older 3 or 4 (pandora) that has been modified. $130 shipped.  Its got 1099 games and a USB that you can put more on. My understanding is its using MAME 138, so any rom that will work with it (and play on this chipset) can be on the USB if its not on the machine already. It Also has a Save/Load (to usb) so you can save a game in progress. From reading this I will assume if i put a bigger SD card in with roms it should work too (guess, I will have to try) I never noticed if there was a SD card on mine but will assume it has one. For a really quick stick setup i can put on my lap and hook to a tv easy it seems ok.. yes i can build one (reason for this website) and I have a MAME machine i built many years ago. But there are some pretty major downsides to mine.. It does have the Sanwa Buttons.. but the joysticks suck something terrible, oddly enough Diagonals work fine, but left /right is not so great (i dont get it) Streetfighter moves are a B#itch to pull off, and a machine like this is 25% fighting games. Its easy enough to just buy some good ones.. but i was dreaming they would be ok to start with. Also.... game names, some are labeled in the menu really odd, the games are correct (all regions) but with 10 per page, and not alpha, its 110 clicks to see them all, but if the names are not right, you need to see a screenshot of each game.. thats 1099 clicks... Of course it does have a favorite tag, so if you take a pencil and paper and write them down you can go into a MENU and tag the ones you like the most to show up at top of list.  Alos no power switch on mine. A cheap knock off of a cheap knock off, i should have known.  All easy enough to fix, $30 for a couple better joysticks shipped, spend an hour writing down games and then putting them in favorites.

Is there a thread on these boxes here, as i feel like im late to party and kind of highjacking  this thread.. I would like to see what others are getting/seeing with these machines.