Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: VMaker only finding 24 modes  (Read 2237 times)

Beaps

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 09, 2020, 10:46:40 am
VMaker only finding 24 modes
« on: October 04, 2017, 10:58:12 am »
Hi All

Any ideas why when VMaker it only comes back with 24 modes?

I am running Win7 and ATi 4554 grafx card and the beta drivers as the other drivers wont install properly as it get a .dll error.

Ta
B

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 08:06:32 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Re: VMaker only finding 24 modes
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 09:53:47 pm »
You want to be using the latest beta of the 2.0 drivers that lists your card, if you aren't.

Then take a look at all the .ini files in the same directory as VMM. Which one have you set VMM to generate modes from, and which range setting is VMM using from monitor.ini? Are you setting VMM to get modes from the MAME xml?

Beaps

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 04:59:14 pm »
Hi, yer I'm using 2.0 beta and yer I'm getting modes from the Mame.xml, but as I said it's only coming back with 24 modes found.

Beaps

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 06:42:34 pm »
If say I load Rtype, it loads 640x480, once I exit Mame I get an error code on the screen.

Unable to create the Direct3D device (8876086C)

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 07:18:24 pm »
Hi, yer I'm using 2.0 beta and yer I'm getting modes from the Mame.xml, but as I said it's only coming back with 24 modes found.

... which range setting is VMM using from monitor.ini?

Also, make sure you're not trying to set EDID emulation on, it won't work with your older card.

Beaps

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 08:19:34 pm »
How do I check the range it's looking for?

Also I am n9t sure what you mean by EDID sorry

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 09:21:36 pm »
OK. Let me think.

Your card is a 4554, correct? Google is not helping me identify it. Is that a mobility card (in a laptop or similar) or special card of some kind, maybe a firepro workstation card, or a regular desktop card? If it's a mobility card, it's really a rebadged 3000 series card, and will probably be running up against the dot-clock limit. Older mobility cards are not expressly supported, but normally the chipsets they're based on are, so they still work a lot of the time.

I don't think you actually want to do get modes from the XML anymore. Did you follow the crt_emudriver 2.0 guide for the 4000-series-and-older cards? This one - http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?id=298

If that card is a non-desktop or mobility card, try setting your minimum dot clock to 8 in VMM (and possibly in mame.ini). This means you get 640x240p, and you have to adjust your emulators to suit. A 3000 series card can't handle 320x240p as that mode only has a dot clock of about 7.5(MHz). Even better is to go all the way through the guide and install super resolutions (like 2560x240p). (if needed, you can find recap's guide to installing GM on the crt_emudriver guide forum, follow it AFTER calamity's install guide, but don't use cleanstretch for newer GM builds, just set resolution to 2560x0 and the super resolution trigger to 2560 - these are in the core switchres options section of the mame.ini file that he talks about.)

If that IS a desktop 4000-series card, or none of this works, start over. Fresh windows install if you can, otherwise removing crt_emudriver might be good enough. Then follow calamity's guide only, do not adjust the dot clock.

(The EDID emulation option is there in VMM, but possibly greyed out. Take a look at the guide for the 5000 series and up cards as well, if you like, remembering that for your card you DON'T want to enable EDID emulation.)
(The generic_15 option in the guides is the monitor range preset. You set this, but the preset info in in monitor.ini. Read it, and then read the monitor range sitcky at the top of the GM forum to understand it. Once you've tried all the advice above, try setting your preset to arcade_15 for an arcade monitor or PVM to get wider ranges and more or better-suited modelines)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 11:34:33 pm by buttersoft »