Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Tool List Suggestions - Woodworking Novice  (Read 4672 times)

csnow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2023, 10:30:54 am
Tool List Suggestions - Woodworking Novice
« on: September 30, 2017, 10:41:30 am »
I am an auto guy, so I have a plethora of pneumatic tools and a couple of full mechanic roller tool boxes in my garage, since I have always preferred to turn my own wrenches when possible.  However, outside of a drill, a couple of paddle bits, electric sander, sawzall, and circular saw, I have zilch for woodworking tools.  I have decided to take on a couple of arcade projects for our theater room/game room and need to make some control panels and do minor cabinet repairs i.e. wood hardener, bondo, etc for some cracks, hole repair, and minor water damage,.  I think the cabinet repair is pretty self-explanatory, but I could really use some suggestions for the tools I should purchase for making quality control panels and t-molding cuts. 

I prefer to buy quality stuff like Milwaukee, Hitachi, DeWalt, etc but I also don't want to buy something that is overkill and not needed.  I am not a brand snob, but I have found those brands to be very reliable with my other tools.  My dad has a table saw and a chop saw that I can use, but I need to know what else makes the job easier.  I assume a good jigsaw, router, and drill press are in order.  I suppose the drill press is optional but it would make it more precise, and I have found times I needed one for other work, so I will add that to the list.  Are there any specific brands/models of these items people recommend?  What is your go to tools for these types of projects?  Help me spend some money  ;)

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
Re: Tool List Suggestions - Woodworking Novice
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 02:52:02 pm »
 Dewalt has a nice dual chuck router, Tablesaws, yes their fun .... But, a jointer in my opinion has been by far my most  favorite useful tool, they require considerable care however, and are ugly dangerous by design, but the quality of your builds will exponentially increase.

csnow

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 08:30:36 pm »
Thanks, I will check into that.

ivwshane

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2022, 09:35:21 pm
    • My first mame cab! (WIP)
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 03:31:33 am »
You will definitely want a router and a router table. Most review I've read like the PC and Bosch routers. The other item I would get for quality builds its a drill press. If you want to drill holes into a metal cp then get something with a spindle speed that goes slow (150-300rpm), top speeds won't matter. I don't have an opinion on brand. The circular saw should be good enough for breaking down sheet goods (build yourself a saw board), however you may want to get yourself a jigsaw (bosch) if you want to make anything other than straight cuts. If you plan on building boxes or actual arcade cabinets you will want to pick up a brad nailer as well to tack things together as they glue up.

Not essential but very handy would be a miter saw (they make quick work when cutting support pieces.

Beside router bits, jig saw blades, and other random hand tools (hammer, nail setter, impact drivers) things wood workers usually need are clamps, lots and lots of clamps, spring clamps and bar clamps are the ones I use the most. If you don't have one yet, a good workbench is a must for proper assembly of parts and accurate glue ups.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 06:22:11 am »
  Jet makes a nice drill press ....But for half the money https://www.lowes.com/pd/PORTER-CABLE-8-Amp-12-Speed-Floor-Drill-Press/1000132463 is a nice machine too. ;)

csnow

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 11:34:25 am »
Thanks ivwshane - the info on the drill press is exactly what I was looking for since I do have a metal CP that I need to add a fire button to.  Thanks Jennifer or do you prefer Jenn?  I see you called both in other threads.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 11:36:21 am by csnow »

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 05:11:05 pm »
   Throat depth is what determines its usefulness', Big IS better  >:D , and they come for wood or metal (that's why the prices and reviews are all  over the map) However they don't really tell you that or discuss the differences when you go to buy one, I noticed the pulleys on a woodworking machines are aluminum,However and are subject to runout and slippage with time, under heavy production type conditions  not a big deal if you know that, but it will most definitely punch holes in steel for many years, Beings how they are cast iron, I like to keep them coated with boshield T5 to prevent rust....Mostly its only me just calling myself Jennifer/Jenni/Jenn, (Ya third people I know , Just do that while Im working and sometimes it spills over to these pages ::)) Call me whatever you like pumpkin.

knave

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 13, 2023, 03:32:33 pm
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 05:28:18 pm »
Drill and circular saw are the most used, along with router and jig saw. Router table, table saw and drill press are at the top of the "nice" to have list. Brad nailer is nice too.

Don't forget the wood glue. and screws.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 02:13:35 pm
  • Plenty of skills.. gaining experience..
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 08:52:16 am »
Agreed on Porter Cable and Bosch routers. 

The question really is - are the tools for this project?  or will you have many projects down the line so the cost becomes worth it?

Its hard to beat a good table saw for making many components easily..  It can all be done with circular saws and guide fences.  It will just take longer and may not be as accurate.
The little benchtop TS's are junk and dangerous..  I haven't tried any of the jobsite saws.  The fence is really about the most important part in my opinion..  It can't be sloppy.  The "Beismeyer" style fence is really the best.. 

For drilling control panels - a benchtop drill press is relatively inexpensive and will be quite accurate.

With a tablesaw, jointer and a surface planer - you can make just about anything.  But none are required for arcade cabinets..  of the 3 - the TS will be the most useful.

My Arcade Cabinet Build and other projects here:
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/