Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Speaker suggestions for Pi Bartop?  (Read 394 times)

JamesRIves

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Speaker suggestions for Pi Bartop?
« on: October 06, 2017, 08:56:20 am »
All, I'm working on a pi3 bartop, and I'm looking for suggestions for a simple speaker solution.  Ideally, I'd like to locate a very small mountable speaker (no case) that simply plugs into the headphone jack, but I haven't been able to locate a decent small unit yet.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jim

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Check out my Pow Pow
Re: Speaker suggestions for Pi Bartop?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 09:09:00 am »
Whats your budget?

Personally I usually go with this Lepai Amp paired with some 4 inch car speakers, the quality is great.

There are cheaper alternatives though.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • RetroPie all the way!
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 11:14:00 am »
All, I'm working on a pi3 bartop, and I'm looking for suggestions for a simple speaker solution.  Ideally, I'd like to locate a very small mountable speaker (no case) that simply plugs into the headphone jack, but I haven't been able to locate a decent small unit yet.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jim
I don't think you will be able to plug in speakers in the headphone jack. You need an amplifier like the one suggested above. Or an amplified speaker (but that's a speaker with an amplifier integrated). I would go for a cheap TPA3116 amplifier board with a 12-24V power supply and some car speakers.
For amplified speakers look for some PC speakers (those are amplified). But mounting them is harder (uglier) most of the time.

ivwshane

• Offline Offline
    • My first mame cab! (WIP)
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 07:05:10 pm »
I got some 3" speakers and a cheap amplifier board for the bartop I'm building but I do wish I got better sound out of it (especially more base). Would better/bigger speakers help or a better amplifier?

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • RetroPie all the way!
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 03:18:09 am »
I got some 3" speakers and a cheap amplifier board for the bartop I'm building but I do wish I got better sound out of it (especially more base). Would better/bigger speakers help or a better amplifier?
Bigger speakers usually mean more bass as they can move more air. You can also add a small subwoofer and use a small 2.1 amplifier.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 05:03:44 am »

JamesRIves

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 01:53:49 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! 

Jim

proplayer77

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2017, 08:05:22 am »
Il working on a Pi bartop too and ordered a 2x15w amp with line in and 12v power plug. As im waiting for the amp i have plugged my inch speakers (took the elements from 5.1 serie computer sounds system i was throwing to trash) with RCA-RCA. -> line in and the sounds work but with very low volume. So: you can solder a rca cable to both and plug it directly to Pi line in but get very low sounds.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 08:40:52 am by proplayer77 »

TechWizTime

• Offline Offline
    • TechWizTime
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 07:16:08 am »
I just got my hands on the new HiFiBerry Amp2. Hooked it up to a pair of 3W 8ohm 2" Speakers and I was completely blown away. So loud!!!! The little HAT is powered by a 12-24v Power Supply which also powers the Pi. But that allows it to output 60w of power. I'm going to do a video on it installed inside an arcade joystick soon if anyone is interested :)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31