Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Need some outside the box thinking... joining wood at right angle  (Read 10088 times)

vaderag

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 16, 2023, 05:11:02 am
  • Building my own cab :)
I'm in the process of building my control panel and I've hit a bit of a conundrum...

I have the bottom three sides built and connected and the top panel ready to connect.... (see pic)
The control panel box is going to have a Vinyl wrap the whole way around (well, 80% of the way around, I'm not worried about the back)

Now, I have a few issues at this stage:
1) I can get all the pieces through the holes I have there, but it's tight, and I'm not convinced I'll get enough torque to actually do up screws etc with the box fully constructed, so I'd like to prime, apply part of the vinyl and then connect up the controls prior to connecting the top piece

2) However, I want to sand and prime as one to make sure my contours are smooth

Obviously, you can't really screw and unscrew MDF, so while I have the brackets to connect it (in pic) and can make all the connection stages work by carefully selecting which of those is pre connected to ensure screwdriver can fit in the others, I'm thinking I need some other way of connecting that can be undone and re-done at will. And this is where I'm stumped.

TL;DR - is there some kind of fixing mechanism that works on right angled (or near right angled) pieces of wood that I may not know of or may not know what to google?!

I feel there must be something as I'm sure I've put together ikea units etc with parts that might solve this purpose, but my mind is blank and I can't imagine what I'd need to search for them!

Thanks in advance :)

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: Need some outside the box thinking... joining wood at right angle
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 05:30:35 am »
Sorry I dont really understand what your problem is?

But the best way to joint MDF is to use wooden batterns to reinforce the corners and screw straight through the MDF into the battern.

If you plan on removing a piece frequently drill a larger hole through the MDF first which will help prevent the board splitting.

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 06:15:03 am »
Sorry I dont really understand what your problem is?

But the best way to joint MDF is to use wooden batterns to reinforce the corners and screw straight through the MDF into the battern.

If you plan on removing a piece frequently drill a larger hole through the MDF first which will help prevent the board splitting.

Yes, that works fine and I have done that in 90% of places. It won't work here though as a) I need to fill over the screw holes prior to priming and smoothing, meaning it wouldnt be able to be removed. Fixing needs to be internal (hence the brackets I have there) and b) you can't screw and re-screw MDF- so that doesnt work
As I mentioned above - I want to connect it all up to sand, smooth and prime in prep for the vinyl, but then remove prior to finalising to install all the controls.
It won't be removed frequently - the holes should be sufficient for maintainence, but I don't fancy completing the whole setup through the limited access

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 06:18:31 am »
You can still do it with battern.

Screw through the CP in to the battern, fill, sand, prep etc then screw from the outside side panel to fix in place.

Then obv fill and sand the side.

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 06:28:46 am »
You can still do it with battern.

Screw through the CP in to the battern, fill, sand, prep etc then screw from the outside side panel to fix in place.

Then obv fill and sand the side.

So, if i'm understanding you, you're saying to put battens like in the pic attached, then screw through (in the corners) from the outer pieces to hold in place?

I thought of this option, but there isn't then any direct connection between the top panel and the front panel, so thinking that will allow movement and slight separating in the middle...?

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 06:31:40 am »
Yup just like that.

Screw the 2 panels to the battern and they will not separate or move.

Makes the cabinet heavier but much stronger.

My whole mame cab is built like that and has moved house 4 times without any problems!

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 06:32:23 am »
You prob want smaller battern though!! I used 1.5” I think it was.

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 06:34:01 am »
Yup just like that.

Screw the 2 panels to the battern and they will not separate or move.

Makes the cabinet heavier but much stronger.

My whole mame cab is built like that and has moved house 4 times without any problems!

Yeah, the rest of the cab is built like that too... Does the batten needs to be the full length for that? Or am I safe using separate bits at each side? I'm worried it might interfere with my controls

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2017, 06:35:35 am »
Doesnt need to be full length, Just make it to fit but obv the more the merrier :)

ivwshane

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2022, 09:35:21 pm
    • My first mame cab! (WIP)
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2017, 06:54:48 pm »
Do not do that. Simply put your CP on hinges and something to lock it down with that you can access from the back. Or you can do what I did which was to make it so that the CP fit inside the CP box and was simply held in by friction (no I don't mean the whole CP but rather a frame that's attached underneath).

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2017, 03:15:01 am »
Do not do that. Simply put your CP on hinges and something to lock it down with that you can access from the back. Or you can do what I did which was to make it so that the CP fit inside the CP box and was simply held in by friction (no I don't mean the whole CP but rather a frame that's attached underneath).
Any particular reason you say not to do that?

I don't think hinges will work as the vinyl will be wrapped around three sides...
Well, not quite three sides but it will lip onto the bottom

ivwshane

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2017, 01:20:05 pm »
The hinges will be inside the box and unseen. Doing it the other way makes it more difficult to access your buttons and wiring and that can become an issue when something stops working.

When you have a game night and people are playing the arcade and suddenly a button stops working, taking half an hour to take things apart and fix the issue is a real mood killer.

Trust me, you do not want your CP top to be permanent.

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2017, 03:41:05 pm »
The hinges will be inside the box and unseen. Doing it the other way makes it more difficult to access your buttons and wiring and that can become an issue when something stops working.

When you have a game night and people are playing the arcade and suddenly a button stops working, taking half an hour to take things apart and fix the issue is a real mood killer.

It's not having them seen that worries me, it's ruining the vinyl in movement...
You are making me think that there would definitely be value in this tho... Just can't see how I would make it work...

It, might, work if I stick the hinge at the bottom front corner and have the top and front panel lift forward. But the problem is that the front panel sits ON the bottom panel, not in front, so don't think an internal hinge will work.
I then have the issue of how to secure the back of the panel to the rear of the panel...

Thoughts?!

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2017, 05:35:09 pm »
Piano hinge maybe with a bolt to secure from underneath?

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2017, 05:38:31 pm »
Piano hinge maybe with a bolt to secure from underneath?
Piano hinge would need to be on the outside in the current setup...

I'm thinking maybe slicing the bottom piece and sticking a piano hinge there (underneath) and then perhaps a couple of tension clips (not sure the proper name) inside to clip the top to the back...??

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2017, 05:40:13 pm »
You could use it inside but the only problem would be you would see the spine at the join from the front.

ivwshane

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2017, 05:36:34 am »
What do you mean ruining the vinyl? The top and the bottom should be wrapped separately.

It's not having them seen that worries me, it's ruining the vinyl in movement...
You are making me think that there would definitely be value in this tho... Just can't see how I would make it work...

It, might, work if I stick the hinge at the bottom front corner and have the top and front panel lift forward. But the problem is that the front panel sits ON the bottom panel, not in front, so don't think an internal hinge will work.
I then have the issue of how to secure the back of the panel to the rear of the panel...

Thoughts?!

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2017, 06:00:21 am »
Negative, the top and the bottom will not be wrapped separately, I want one seamless view on the front since I have artwork there. That's not unusual...

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2017, 06:03:05 am »
What do you mean ruining the vinyl? The top and the bottom should be wrapped separately.

e.g.

ivwshane

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2017, 10:38:53 pm »
I see. What about a hinge at the bottom underneath? Do you have another pic of how the CP sits on the very?

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2017, 04:25:07 am »
I see. What about a hinge at the bottom underneath? Do you have another pic of how the CP sits on the very?
See pic.
I think I've decided just to cut the holes a bit bigger on the bottom and work with what I have. I like the stability of it being one piece if it can be, I just feel having a hinge is gonna give it a little give (maybe not loads, but still some)

Still enough room to get to most things comfortably, just a bit tight on some of the edges

ivwshane

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2017, 11:43:32 pm »
I didn't expect that. Hmm... The only thing I can think of is to have the bottom be detectable from the whole CP but attach the CP as a complete unit. I'd use something like this so that you can attach and detach the bottom without fear of loosening hole for the screw.

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-M4x10mm-Socket-Plated-Thread/dp/B01BDPH5BM/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&ref_=ya_aw_od_pi

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2017, 03:14:01 am »
I didn't expect that. Hmm... The only thing I can think of is to have the bottom be detectable from the whole CP but attach the CP as a complete unit. I'd use something like this so that you can attach and detach the bottom without fear of loosening hole for the screw.

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-M4x10mm-Socket-Plated-Thread/dp/B01BDPH5BM/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&ref_=ya_aw_od_pi
I have a bunch of them left over from my joy attachments. Thing is, I'd still need to leave a bit of the bottom in place for wrapping on to (you may not see in the pic but it curves at the bottom too), so I'm not sure in that situation I'd be any better off than what I have now - I have a bit of room to make my underside holes bigger yet still inside the cab frame, so think I'm going to do that and just deal with the tightness when fitting

The whole unit will come off, as it's just bolted to the back,  and I'm yet to work out how I'm attaching my sides but thinking clips of some sort, maybe wing nuts (or possibly using the fixings you just said) so they easily can be removed from underneath - that way I can get them off to get leverage from the sides if needed too.

Probably not going to be a mid evening fix after a few beers, but will be easy enough

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2017, 04:56:50 am »
I think next time you build a cab you need to work this stuff out first LOL  :lol

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2017, 05:00:11 am »
I think next time you build a cab you need to work this stuff out first LOL  :lol

A) There isn't going to be a next time
B) Not really - this stuff doesnt affect the cab, only the control panel... which doesnt affect what's been done so far
and
C) This is following the OND plans pinned above - in those plans, the CP is just fixed, so I'm just trying to work things out as best as possible within the constraints I have.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2017, 05:02:39 am »
A) Why the bloody hell not!?
B & C) Irrelevant LOL

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2017, 05:29:48 am »
B & C) Irrelevant LOL

Because this is a passion project - i have no need for two arcade cabs!

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2017, 05:31:07 am »
B & C) Irrelevant LOL

You say that now... LOL

My first was a project of passion, but then so was my 2nd... and 3rd.....

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:37:55 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2017, 07:28:44 am »

That's what I said not too long ago.

I have 4 that are not even in the picture. Is there a 12 step program for this?

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2017, 07:33:27 am »

That's what I said not too long ago.

I have 4 that are not even in the picture. Is there a 12 step program for this?

Apparently the first step is admitting you have a problem.

I admit nothing!! :lol

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:37:55 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2017, 07:46:14 am »
I suppose. Rehab is for quitters.

ZTylerDurden717

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 07, 2024, 12:52:28 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2018, 11:47:00 am »
vaderag,

Sorry for necroing this thread, but I'm in the exact same situation with the vinyl wrapping and figuring out how to insert the wiring afterward.  I sent Ond a reply on the main thread so I'm waiting on his input.

So you ended up cutting a big enough hole in the CP bottom after it "curves" out to have enough free range access to screw/wire in the buttons/joysticks?  Was it like building a ship inside a bottle (please say no)?  How do you have the CP bottom hole covered after the wiring was done because I'm thinking I could board the hole with a really thin sheet of wood with threaded inserts.  How did you screw in the CP side attachments and was it after you were done wiring and applying the vinyl?

As always, I appreciate the help.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 12:04:43 pm by ZTylerDurden717 »

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2018, 12:03:08 pm »
So my hole is actually two holes. I left a middle strut for stability. Additionally they're only deep enough to be covered once the CP is in place so they can't be seen.
The side panels I'm connecting with some tension clips from the CP to some screwed on wood.

I'll try snap some pics when I get chance

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

ZTylerDurden717

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 07, 2024, 12:52:28 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2018, 12:08:24 pm »
Thanks a lot!  A visual will definitely help.