Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Any cheap fix for dead spots on ELO touchscreen?  (Read 5202 times)

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:47:02 pm
Any cheap fix for dead spots on ELO touchscreen?
« on: October 05, 2017, 11:05:19 am »
I built a jukebox for a friend something like 7 or 8 years ago, so of course when there is a problem they come back to me.  :'(

The plastic ELO usb touchscreen wasn't in the best shape to begin with, but now the touch function has so many dead spots it's not useable.
I can't even get it to register the second press during calibration.

Are there any cheap or easy fixes for this? (Like heating up the edge connections or something)
What actually wears out?

ed12

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2018, 03:44:39 pm
  • it is what it is..."Nobody Said It Was Easy"....
Re: Any cheap fix for dead spots on ELO touchscreen?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 11:11:22 am »
the over-lay is sold buy suzo-happ

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 11:38:11 am »
the over-lay is sold buy suzo-happ

$246.....ouch.

I plan to just give it back to him with a mouse and tell him I don't have time to do anything more.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:48:25 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 11:39:31 am »
Have him buy a new screen on eBay
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:37:55 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 01:53:13 pm »
Wave a Pi in front of the screen 3 times counter clockwise. That fixes just about anything.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:40:39 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 10:44:16 pm »
Elo acutouch overlays are good for like 35 million touches. you sure you don't have something else going on?

check your cable going into the controller. (try flipping it over too it works either way...you will have to reaclibrate)

also try doing the 25 point calibration.

the main issue i've seen with these is the cable separating from the overlay and breaks. i've successfully repaired some of these by cutting away a flap of plastic over the connection and using a silver conductive pen to "redraw" and "glue" the cable back to the trace. then gluing the flap back down again and renforcing the cable connection. it's ugly, but it's hidden out of the way anyways so it's okay.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 12:20:36 pm »
Elo acutouch overlays are good for like 35 million touches. you sure you don't have something else going on?

check your cable going into the controller. (try flipping it over too it works either way...you will have to reaclibrate)

also try doing the 25 point calibration.

the main issue i've seen with these is the cable separating from the overlay and breaks. i've successfully repaired some of these by cutting away a flap of plastic over the connection and using a silver conductive pen to "redraw" and "glue" the cable back to the trace. then gluing the flap back down again and renforcing the cable connection. it's ugly, but it's hidden out of the way anyways so it's okay.

That's the type of suggestion I was looking for.  I already told them they'd just have to use a mouse, but they didn't want to pick it back up until Monday.
So if I get free time I'll tear into it.

Is that the glass or the plastic overlays that are good for that many touches?
I built a half dozen jukeboxes back then with used ELOs off ebay.
The ones with a glass touch surface always worked flawlessly.  I still have one stashed for a future project.
The ones that look and feel like plastic on the surface were hit or miss. 
They seemed to have less sensitive spots that you had to thumb a wider area on.  I assumed it meant that area had been used a lot more in a POS application and had worn out.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 01:08:53 pm »
well, it really depends on the overlay. ELO makes a few different types. I'm hoping you have the resistive type...( judged by the reference to plastic)

SAW - Surface Acoustic Wave

Carrolltouch - trademark name for capacitive touch

5wire - Trademark name for resistive touch

The 5wire (resistive touch) has a plastic sheet over a glass surface.... this is applied over the monitor. the plastic sheet is kept away from the glass by tiny bumps. when you press the plastic sheet and it deforms making contact with a conductive layer on the glass. the x and y resistive values are read and translated to position.

short of damage to the plastic sheet and separation of the cable from the edge... not much to go wrong... like i mentioned THIS style of overlay is rated to 35 million presses.

separate the overlay from the LCD itself and inspect the cable where it goes onto the glass. like i mentioned, it may be separating. if it is, snap a pic of it and post it here with what you've found and I can let you know what you may be able to do.

ed12

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2018, 03:44:39 pm
  • it is what it is..."Nobody Said It Was Easy"....
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2017, 02:07:17 pm »
if u pick through this link
https://na.suzohapp.com/manufacturers/3m%20microtouch
u can then
get a better idea of what shawn is talking about .

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

abispac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:01:09 pm
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2017, 02:47:13 pm »
s h i t , not sure why every touch  glass or monitor has to ve expensive on the internet, what i do i search for the local electronic srapp place in my town, they always have tons of monitors ready to scrap, many of them work if the screen its not shatered, i see tons of touch monitors all the time, sometimes i  just pick one up of the same size for like 5 to 10 dlls, take the whole thing apprt, and use the glass together with the touch board, i atach  the touchboard power cables to an usb cord and voala, everything works, for cheap. im even thinking on starting to sell touchscreen glass on ebay, but they dont sell to much.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 03:23:39 pm »

The 5wire (resistive touch) has a plastic sheet over a glass surface.... this is applied over the monitor. the plastic sheet is kept away from the glass by tiny bumps. when you press the plastic sheet and it deforms making contact with a conductive layer on the glass. the x and y resistive values are read and translated to position.

Yup, that's it.  I will make time to open it up over the weekend.
There's nothing to lose as far as the touch function goes.

Thank you.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2017, 09:51:52 am »
Wiring looks new.  Do these foggy areas mean anything?  It responds left and right of them, but not on or below them.  I laid the touchscreen face down in the frame and heated the backside of the glass with a heat gun thinking maybe it would dissipate moisture or make the plastic droop away from the surface, but no change in appearance or function.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2017, 09:53:08 am »
Couple more pics
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 09:54:43 am by BadMouth »

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2017, 10:35:38 pm »
around the outside looks fine. that is just where the plastic is glued to the glass. it's appearance has no real bearing on the overlays functionality other than holding the plastic in place. even brand new, they look like that.

that section in the middle though, that looks like moisture ingress. somewhere on the surface near that spot is a hole, a spot where it's gotten in. that's no good. think this overlay is a lost cause.

if you give me the number off the cable I can see If I have, or can get a replacement. it will either be an SCN number (SCN-AT-FLT15.1blahbla) or an E number (E1234567) and let you know how much to replace it would be. i do keep a stock of 15/17/19 inch overlays for our jukeboxes.

you might be able to get a decent whole monitor replacement from "General Touch" or 3M

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2017, 09:32:32 am »
if you give me the number off the cable I can see If I have, or can get a replacement. it will either be an SCN number (SCN-AT-FLT15.1blahbla) or an E number (E1234567) and let you know how much to replace it would be. i do keep a stock of 15/17/19 inch overlays for our jukeboxes.

you might be able to get a decent whole monitor replacement from "General Touch" or 3M

Thanks lilshawn, I learned a lot.
But I'm just going to tell them I can't fix it.
I have a bunch of other stuff going on and have already spent more time on it than I wanted to.
I might offer to sell them the one I have stashed.