Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Joystick Options  (Read 1767 times)

killbill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 03:18:07 pm
  • When I die, I want to go to arcade heaven!
Joystick Options
« on: October 04, 2017, 08:48:33 pm »
Hi,

I'm at the point in my project where I need to decide on joysticks. First, a little about the project. It's a bartop with an auto rotating 20" 4x3 LCD monitor. Emulators include: MAME, DEMUL (Atomiswave, Naomi), Daphne, Sega Ring (via Teknoparrot) and a few classic consoles (NES, Sega Genesis) Looking to create standard two stick, 12 button cp plus P1 and P2 buttons. I plan to make a few attachable control panel additions: G27 wheel and another with trackball and spinner. These will slide up against the existing cp via a track underneath the bartop.

From the beginning I had decided on using u360s, but recently I have thought about other options. My intention is to play as many games as possible as well as possible, which is a fairly generic statement I know. I like platformers, schmups, fighting games, etc. The options I am currently thinking about are:

- U360s - on the plus - like the universal aspect, the mapping, etc. No encoder needed. On the downside - don't really like the top restrictor plate that sticks up through the control panel, not a huge fan of the "feel" also. Not really arcade authentic.

- Magstik Plus - on the plus - top switchable 4/8 way, no top restrictor plate needed. On the downside - very small throw, feel not very arcade authentic. Needs ipac.

- Sanwa or Happ 8 way sticks - then I would have to build a dedicated 4 way sticks add on panel, which is doable. Just not sure how much of a pain the switch out will be over and over again.

I know that this is a very subjective question, but I am truly unable to decide at this point and am locked in an OCD loop. I'm just looking for opinions from you experienced people here at the forum. I'm weighing enjoying less games with a more authentic feel and function, versus more games with the added compromises. Any advice or help is truly appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 08:55:48 pm by killbill »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:41:27 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Re: Joystick Options
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 08:54:13 pm »
If you’re OCD, you will never be happy with whatever joystick you pick. Just accept that right now. :-)
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

killbill

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 08:56:46 pm »
Hey yotsuya,

Haha. What can I say, I'm a sufferer.  :)

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 09:14:17 pm »
If you don’t care about color, I still get the Happ supers. They’ee kind of the best mix of four-way and eight-way you’ll fine. Paige Oliver has stated this, and after testing it out myself, I tend to agree. They’re not the best sticks, but they’re very suitable.

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 10:06:18 pm »
If you don’t care about color, I still get the Happ supers. They’ee kind of the best mix of four-way and eight-way you’ll fine. Paige Oliver has stated this, and after testing it out myself, I tend to agree. They’re not the best sticks, but they’re very suitable.

Right, Happ supers aren't the best sticks made, but they are the best cheap sticks that perform well in most varieties of games. I have never felt the need to rip them out of a game, as I often do with Ultimates and Competitions.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:06:39 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 10:51:31 pm »
If you don’t care about color, I still get the Happ supers.
If you like the Happ Supers and do care about colors, try to find some "IL Compact" sticks if IL is still making them. 

http://www.industrias-lorenzo.com/en/joysticks/321-mando-compacto.html

Paradise Arcade Shop used to carry them, but I haven't found any vendors that currently stock/sell them.   :dunno

Scott

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 02:15:07 am »
I was in a similar boat to you a while back.
I dont consider myself a purist but I am fussy about the feel of a stick and more importantly its function.

Ive never tried a 360 so cant comment on those but:

I really like the mag sticks, They are what I have fixed to my MAME machine at the moment and I wrote a full review on them on here if you look for it.

I like the short throw, once I got used to it I found it snappier and more responsive but they did need some minor modding to get them the way I liked.

As for the Happ/Sanwa I didnt really like Happ comps, They were sloppy and had to much travel for my liking.

Sanwa JLF’s I love, and personally think are the best 8 way stick with a octagonal restrictor.
You can pick up all 8 directions with ease and flows well.

But I like to have true 4 way to play pac man so mag sticks were my final choice.

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2023, 01:46:23 pm
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 07:00:34 am »
I like Sanwa JLF/JLW sticks with round gates. There are various mods available for JLFs, too. But yeah, joystick preference is completely subjective, really. You just have to find out which ones you like by trying them out over the years, really. Personally, I have no trouble playing 4-way games with my 8-way sticks and round gates.

killbill

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 11:16:06 am »
Thanks for the input guys.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2017, 07:21:01 pm »
There are plenty of colors for Supers available at Tornado Terry's.  He even makes "competition looking" bat tops for Supers.  Ball Tops too.
http://www.tornadoterrys.com/surplus.htm

DeL
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2017, 07:32:45 pm »
There are plenty of colors for Supers available at Tornado Terry's.  He even makes "competition looking" bat tops for Supers.  Ball Tops too.
http://www.tornadoterrys.com/surplus.htm

DeL

Great link, DeL!