Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Practicing psychometric tests  (Read 4159 times)

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:49:59 am
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
Practicing psychometric tests
« on: October 04, 2017, 09:22:53 am »

Does anyone here know of any useful free online psychometric tests? I've tried a few now but there's no point doing the same ones over again. Here's some examples of what I mean if you aren't sure what I'm babbling about :duckhunt

https://www.practiceaptitudetests.co...asoning-tests/

https://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/psychotests.htm

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:12:04 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
Re: Practicing psychometric tests
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 10:03:02 am »
You going to graduate school?  I sat through three major graduate school exams, structured very differently, and got within 5% of the same percentile on all of them.  (GMAT, GRE, LSAT)  It was quite remarkable, to be honest.  Prospective law school students are apparently shady as ---fudgesicle--- given the tight security, rules, and supervision.

I'd familiarize yourself with whatever format you're going to be taking the actual test in, and focus on the relevant skills/topic areas.

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 10:32:51 am »

I'd familiarize yourself with whatever format you're going to be taking the actual test in, and focus on the relevant skills/topic areas.

For sure, but I was hoping (against hope I must admit) that someone would know some super duper site that has a gazillion tests for me to go through. most sites just give you a sample. much better than nothing though!

no, not graduate school. i am not particularly academically inclined. im applying for a job that screens via their own online psychometric tests. very slim chance ill fit the profile they are after but you don't know until you try right (",)

I have ten days to get my brain as flexible as its ever going to be...

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 11:22:56 am »
Ah... I took one of those tests once. 

As I recall, it was around 30 questions and I had an hour.  Pretty straightforward until I got around question #24.  It wasn't a particularly difficult problem, but it was a complex one - I believe it involved taking sheets of lumber and what was the minimum number of cuts you could make to get the pieces of you needed.  After I had spent a good 10 minutes on it, I realized I was running out of time.  I looked at the subsequent questions and they were all MUCH easier.

I could be wrong on this, but I think the purpose of that question was to see if you had the sense to skip it and come back to it after you had completed the others. 

So be wary of tricks like that... I have no doubt what I took was a very standard aptitude test given to prospective employees.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 12:44:54 pm »
Yeah I had to take one before getting my CIS degree.  I think the whole point is you can't study for them... it's supposed to see if you actually learned more than answers to questions in a book.  The lady that was in charge of our graduating class "forgot" to tell us to study for them.  We were all freaking out, but in the end, everybody passed.  Lots of b.s. like pbj just mentioned... trick questions, questions that you obviously don't have enough time to work out, ect.  Remember to quickly glance over the test first, answer what you can, re-check your answers AND the questions (sometimes trick wording is used) and then go back and try to tackle those impossibly hard ones. 

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 05:56:54 am »
Yeah I had to take one before getting my CIS degree.  I think the whole point is you can't study for them... it's supposed to see if you actually learned more than answers to questions in a book.  The lady that was in charge of our graduating class "forgot" to tell us to study for them.  We were all freaking out, but in the end, everybody passed.  Lots of b.s. like pbj just mentioned... trick questions, questions that you obviously don't have enough time to work out, ect.  Remember to quickly glance over the test first, answer what you can, re-check your answers AND the questions (sometimes trick wording is used) and then go back and try to tackle those impossibly hard ones.

Yes, not a case of 'studying the test' but getting used to the formats they use. You can get better at them by practicing similar type tests. They even suggest to do that, although they don't tell you where to look  :D With someone like me, who hasn't had to do much thinking in a work environment, practicing will definitely make a  difference. One test for instance I practiced on, I fully didn't comprehend the question! I felt flustered even though it wasn't for real. What I learnt from that was to just slow down if the question seems tricky. I believe the test I will be doing you can't go back and revisit questions. Since the job I am going for involves training, you definitely can't study up the job! They are mostly looking for speed and accuracy to assess if you are likely to be able to do the job.

I'll continue with the freebies I've found so far. And practice some Tetris. Apparently that is a good game to play to limber up your brain for these tests. Who am I to argue :D

10/10/17: Found this site:

https://www.aptitude-test.com/aptitude-tests.html

Which has a whole buncha tests. You just have to fill in a short survey (once) to get results on the screen. No email or anything. If you want more comrehensive from them then you have to sign up, but what they have has been pretty handy so far. I think I am going to do my actual test today as I am feeling groovy and am not at work. Except that the first day in ages I've had a sick day, the guy next door has decided to do some landscaping with one of those mini bobcats  :angry:

Hopefully he gets tired of that soon :D

Edit: sat the test and am quite happy with my performance. Felt I did the best I could. Nothing worse than coming away feeling you've ---fouled up beyond all recognition--- up. Whether I get any further or not, I'm happy (",)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 03:22:17 am by danny_galaga »

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 06:00:08 am »

Well ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---, I made it to the next round of tests. guess I did ok after all! This is the point where I practice on things like Tetris to hone my psychomotor skills. Always knew gaming would help me with my job prospects :duckhunt

Titchgamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 06:40:45 am »
Lol well done!

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 05:49:06 am »

Did the test and was not feeling very groovy about it. Was set for weeks of waiting just to be told 'don't call us'. Monday I get an email that I made it through to the next round!

Thank you Tetris. Thank you Dr Mario :D

The test itself was all based on something that looked a lot like an arcade stick. It even had (I think) domed Sanwa buttons.

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 06:46:50 am »

So attended the third round. This was a group assessment. There were seven of us at a table. We were given a scenario to study for five minutes and then 25 minutes to work together to create a gameplan. I thought I did ok, but had no clue what they are looking for exactly.

Anyway, got an email yesterday saying thanks for coming but you didn't succeed :(

Oh well. I'm happy I got as far as I did but had stared to clock out mentally at my current job. Now I'm going to have to get used to not saying sayanara to all those asshats :D

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 07:57:25 am »
Did they at least pay for your time? 

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2018, 03:40:46 am »
Did they at least pay for your time?

Doesnt work like that. They had upwards of 2000 candidates. They don't need to sweeten the deal...