Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: What kind of flight stick would be good with fast-paced action arcade games?  (Read 1436 times)

mickael28

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 01, 2020, 07:56:15 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
I've never tried a flight stick but I've seen that some that look good and have good reviews, like the Microsoft Sidewinder force feedback 2, seem to me that are more suitable for simulation games than for arcade ones?

Would that joystick for example be usable and the plane would response properly in fast games like Ace Combat Assault Horizon or Top Gun Hardlock? or if not, do you know some examples that would be more responsive and suitable for arcade games?

And... do flight stick have deadzone, like steering wheels do, as I think that might be a problem in arcade games, wouldn't it?

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
I've never tried a flight stick but I've seen that some that look good and have good reviews, like the Microsoft Sidewinder force feedback 2, seem to me that are more suitable for simulation games than for arcade ones?

Would that joystick for example be usable and the plane would response properly in fast games like Ace Combat Assault Horizon or Top Gun Hardlock? or if not, do you know some examples that would be more responsive and suitable for arcade games?

And... do flight stick have deadzone, like steering wheels do, as I think that might be a problem in arcade games, wouldn't it?

I have found that most analog sticks with some settings tweaking will work OK for most analog arcade games. The main difference between the PC sticks and the arcade sticks is that the PC sticks tend to have about 87 buttons, while the arcade sticks are simpler but have much higher quality pots in them.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

mickael28

• Offline Offline
I have found that most analog sticks with some settings tweaking will work OK for most analog arcade games. The main difference between the PC sticks and the arcade sticks is that the PC sticks tend to have about 87 buttons, while the arcade sticks are simpler but have much higher quality pots in them.

But is there any model without (or with little) deadzone? I was thinking for example, that a flightstick design specifically for consoles would be good, but then I saw this review for the model created with Ace Combat Xbox 360 and the deadzone is huge!!!, not sure if all controllers are the same?

The guy in the review thought the same basically, that he won't be using it as the deadzone is way too much! I could understand that in a simulation game, but in an fast arcade one doesn't make much sense...

https://youtu.be/jTW4Dgm29p0?t=6m21s

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
Simple and cheap ones are probably going to work best for you. If you still have a gameport then go look for a really old one. The old cheap ones are really just cheap versions of exactly what the arcade had, which is a handle moving 2 pots.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

mickael28

• Offline Offline
Simple and cheap ones are probably going to work best for you. If you still have a gameport then go look for a really old one. The old cheap ones are really just cheap versions of exactly what the arcade had, which is a handle moving 2 pots.

Hey, yes, I've been looking into this today. And what you mention, it seems that something simple is the closest to old arcade games, however, with all the videos I've watched there seems to be that large deadzone in all modern flightsticks? which I guess it's because they're designed more towards simulation games...

Do you know any specific model which is really responsive around the center by any chance, like the analogue stick in a gamepad for example?