Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: LED joystick and USB encoder  (Read 1321 times)

djvoodoo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2019, 06:09:46 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
LED joystick and USB encoder
« on: October 02, 2017, 10:55:46 am »
Hi All i have illuminated buttons and a joystick i am building into my bar top. Im having a problem earthing the joystick. The usb encoder i have is the cheap zero delay one and each input has its own earth which is great until it comes to my joystick. as the joystick is wired as one.ie all the ground wires are wired as one. When i put the inputs into the board i am left with 4 ground wires from the board and only one from the joystick. If i try and loop them the joystick only has one direction working. My question is how can i get around this because its driving me mad. Cheers daz

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:55:06 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: LED joystick and USB encoder
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 11:41:31 am »
The ZD encoder is an "active high" device -- apply 5v to an input to trigger the related output.

If you look at the underside of the ZD PCB, all the wires/traces on the outside are tied together so that's the 5v "daisy-chain" and the inner wires connect to the inputs.

It sounds like your LED joystick is designed to work with a normal "active low" encoder, but it's impossible to give wiring advice without some images and/or details about exactly what kind of joystick you have and if the LED wiring is connected to the microswitch wiring. (i.e. LED ground tied to joystick switch daisy-chain)

Scott

djvoodoo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2019, 06:09:46 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: LED joystick and USB encoder
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 10:09:23 am »
Cheers for that. When i get home i will take a few pics and upload them  :)