Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Minimum specs to support some arcade games like Dead Heat or Initial D 6?  (Read 4520 times)

mickael28

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 01, 2020, 07:56:15 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Sorry for the bunch of posts, a little bit more free time this weekend, last one for today.

I've just got a PC with an integrated Intel HD 530 card at the moment and most games work fine, not the best settings but I'm quite casual player, so it's fine for me.

Knowing this (ie, I don't need the best of the graphic cards or hardware, as long as the games load at its expected FPS), do you guys know what could I need to run those kind of arcade games which require Nvidia cards, like Dead Heat or Initial D 6? If you could give me an indication about the basics for gaming those and some other arcade dumps mainly pls? I'm not quite sure about what's important in this case, CPU-speed, GB RAM, graphics card model, ...?

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:24:01 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
both of those games use a custom linux operating systems and PC computer systems.

they won't be "dumped" or emulated because they already run "PC" hardware... there is nothing to emulate.

mickael28

• Offline Offline
both of those games use a custom linux operating systems and PC computer systems.

they won't be "dumped" or emulated because they already run "PC" hardware... there is nothing to emulate.

I don't know what is the technical term for running them in home PCs then, I thought it was dumped, but is there a way to know what could be a good setup for a **basic** hardware of a  gaming PC to run these kind of games? I just bought a new laptop and mini-PC for work recently and not feeling like buying a really good one just for a couple of games... but it seems if I wan't to try them I'll need an Nvidia card at least.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:24:01 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
no, i'm just saying it will never be dumped into MAME because there is literally no need. the game already uses PC hardware. there is nothing to emulate. If you wanted to run those games, you'd have to have whatever motherboard/video card was used in those games. the issue isn't emulating hardware which is what MAME does.

for instance the initial D 6 game runs on sega naomi2 hardware (AKA lindberg yellow) it is a PC running a modified linux disro. the motherboard is a sega commissioned Pentium 4 motherboard with a nvidia 6800gt series GPU and 256mb ram. it's literally a desktop PC with a custom IO board to input game controls.

Dead heat is namco ES1.  i'mma copypaste cause i'm lazy

Namco System ES1
Motherboard: Supermicro C2SBM-Q (Intel Q35 + ICH9DO Chipset)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8400 at 3.00 GHz
RAM: 2×512 MB DDR2 800 MHz 1.8V
Video: Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT with 512 MB GDDR3 memory
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 160 GB (ST3160318AS) with copy protection
Operating System: arcadelinux (Debian 4.0 based)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Let's put it another way... it'll be in MAME when MAME supports Pentium 4 games running on linux and direct-x video cards.  It'll be PLAYABLE in mame 10 to 15 years after that. 

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Let's put it another way... it'll be in MAME when MAME supports Pentium 4 games running on linux and direct-x video cards.  It'll be PLAYABLE in mame 10 to 15 years after that.

***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

mickael28

• Offline Offline
no, i'm just saying it will never be dumped into MAME because there is literally no need. the game already uses PC hardware. there is nothing to emulate. If you wanted to run those games, you'd have to have whatever motherboard/video card was used in those games. the issue isn't emulating hardware which is what MAME does.

for instance the initial D 6 game runs on sega naomi2 hardware (AKA lindberg yellow) it is a PC running a modified linux disro. the motherboard is a sega commissioned Pentium 4 motherboard with a nvidia 6800gt series GPU and 256mb ram. it's literally a desktop PC with a custom IO board to input game controls.

Dead heat is namco ES1.  i'mma copypaste cause i'm lazy

Namco System ES1
Motherboard: Supermicro C2SBM-Q (Intel Q35 + ICH9DO Chipset)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8400 at 3.00 GHz
RAM: 2×512 MB DDR2 800 MHz 1.8V
Video: Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT with 512 MB GDDR3 memory
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 160 GB (ST3160318AS) with copy protection
Operating System: arcadelinux (Debian 4.0 based)

Many thanks, that's really useful. I didn't think their hardware was so basic!, although they are old games/machines, so I guess it was a good hardware at the time.

Regarding running those games on PC and MAME, I was not thinking about a dump that MAME could run/emulate, I was thinking about running them (somehow) on PC, which seems that can be done already for both games as I've seen a lot of videos of them in youtube. Running on generic PCs I mean, not the same motherboard or graphics card. Some people were saying that this is now possible because the games were dumped and modified to run on any PC hardware. For some of them though, they need an Nvidia graphics card it seems...

Thanks for the info!

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
Wow, you got a buncha stuff mixed up :)

Naomi 2 hardware ( http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=725 )  , which is beefier hardware than Naomi 1 that was similar to Sega Dreamcast,  only supports Initial D 1 through 3

Lindbergh Yellow is a completely different beast: (but is PC based! ( http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=731 ) and supports initial D 4 (all versions) and 5

Initial D 6 runs on RingEdge hardware ( http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=910 )  RingEdge 1 hardware runs an embedded Windows OS, Im not sure about RE2

and lastly Initial D 7 runs on RingEdge 2 hardware (http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=982 ) which is the first to use not crummy specs has an i3 and an Nvidia GT545 , but its the crummier 545 that uses DDR3 memory.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

mickael28

• Offline Offline
Wow, you got a buncha stuff mixed up :)

The info was pretty good, as I googled by those terms and I ended up finding the pages you mentioned below with specs about Sega machines hardware. What I didn't know though, is that they don't seem specially powerful?! I don't know how games can run so smoothly, fast and look so good in them...

Even an integrated card is much better than those graphic cards, and PCs have more CPU, RAM, etc but I don't think they run games as good. I don't know the specs of Road Fighter 3D for example, I need to research them, because that one loads on my system, but it's pretty slow at times... I've not seen the original in an arcade, but usually the run a lot faster

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
They are running on a barebones Unix OS or an embedded windows OS, so there's less "background stuff" running to eat up GPU and CPU cycles. The drivers are specifically written for the hardware and not a generalized driver for use across multiple configurations. All of that working together lets them maximize the results on lesser hardware. If they can save $5 per machine for 50,000 machines that's a quarter million bucks they save, which would explain some of the earlier CPU choices and why they went with an i3 over an i5.

My main gripe about the previous post was saying the Naomi 2 system is the same as Lindbergh Yellow when they share no similarities other then being JVS compliant.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:31:43 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
Re: Minimum specs to support some arcade games like Dead Heat or Initial D 6?
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2017, 04:29:07 pm »
I would also add that unless you're running Ubuntu as your operating system you might as well give up any hope of ever getting Dead Heat working, you won't be able to run it through Windows.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2017, 09:23:30 pm »
You might be able to get away with a virtual install, but again, pcs probably have to get significantly more powerful before it would run without a hitch. 

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:31:43 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2017, 07:34:37 am »
A few people on another forum have tried to run it in a Virtual Machine without success. I had a little play around with it myself using an Oracle VM VirtualBox version of Ubuntu awhile back and got absolutely nowhere.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 04:55:27 pm by MrThunderwing »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2017, 12:49:32 pm »
You'd probably need the exact build of Linux they are running along with virtual versions of the hardware.... which I don't think VMware is really capable of yet. 

mickael28

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2017, 04:56:25 pm »
I read some people having success in a Ubuntu USB, so I've been trying to do this myself but without success. Let me create a specific post with the issue to see if you guys know of any workaround that I could try...

New post: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,155467.0.html