Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Anyone buy the Snes Classic?  (Read 22526 times)

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
Re: Anyone buy the Snes Classic?
« Reply #120 on: October 09, 2017, 03:02:53 pm »
For all you Pi dickriders, now you can have the pretty SNES Menu and boast even more how it's a superior product.   >:D

Titchgamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #121 on: October 09, 2017, 03:27:09 pm »
Niceee think I might get that for my Pitendo.

1500points

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2018, 01:44:12 pm
    • How to succeed at Robotron
« Reply #122 on: October 09, 2017, 03:38:52 pm »
I installed the NES classic version of that theme for a mini NES gift.  Really went over well.
That's a good one.  Good find!

Grasshopper

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2023, 07:20:31 am
  • life, don't talk to me about life
« Reply #123 on: October 11, 2017, 03:23:37 pm »
The problem with the case you linked to is that it doesn't appear to have working power and reset buttons.
Just wait for RetroFlag to release their SNESPi case. Those guys know how to make a nice RPi case.
Retroflag does make nice NESPi cases, but you need to do a mod and install a script to send a safe shutdown command instead of just interrupting power when you press the reset button.

So far, the easiest mod for the NES case appears to be the one in by ETA PRIME.
- Bridge a few solder points (red lines)
- Solder two resistors and a wire with a female Dupont pin (yellow line) that connects to GPIO pin 5
- Install the script

Of course, if you want something easier, fully-legal and more bulletproof, a NES classic/SNES classic is the better choice.   ;D

Scott

I bought the resistors to do ETA PRIME's mod a few days ago. However, I've just come across an alternative mod that looks cleaner to me:

I'm now going to follow this guy's basic approach except that I'm going to do the soldering on the solder side of the board. Also, unless I'm missing something, I don't think he needed to connect a wire to the ground pin. He could simply have not cut the ground trace to the switch.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." - Samuel Johnson

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #124 on: October 11, 2017, 04:01:44 pm »
The problem with the case you linked to is that it doesn't appear to have working power and reset buttons.
Just wait for RetroFlag to release their SNESPi case. Those guys know how to make a nice RPi case.
Retroflag does make nice NESPi cases, but you need to do a mod and install a script to send a safe shutdown command instead of just interrupting power when you press the reset button.

So far, the easiest mod for the NES case appears to be the one in by ETA PRIME.
- Bridge a few solder points (red lines)
- Solder two resistors and a wire with a female Dupont pin (yellow line) that connects to GPIO pin 5
- Install the script

Of course, if you want something easier, fully-legal and more bulletproof, a NES classic/SNES classic is the better choice.   ;D

Scott

I bought the resistors to do ETA PRIME's mod a few days ago. However, I've just come across an alternative mod that looks cleaner to me:

I'm now going to follow this guy's basic approach except that I'm going to do the soldering on the solder side of the board. Also, unless I'm missing something, I don't think he needed to connect a wire to the ground pin. He could simply have not cut the ground trace to the switch.

I already did one case using ETA Primes video and it works fine - and is reversible fairly easily ( removing the solder bridges and resistors ) - saw this video the other day as well and the only thing I didn't like was the cutting of the traces (though I guess it could be reversed as well by bridging the cuts ) So either method should work fine - More interested in if he can get the second testing done to make the on/off switch be used to shut down rather than the reset button and then use the reset button for a game exit in the emulator ( had commented in the thread and he said he was looking into it - so will see if he works that out ! )

Think you are correct about the grounds but not positive.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #125 on: October 11, 2017, 06:19:08 pm »
got my snes classic today, my good friend bobby (member name here hobojoe )actually got it for me and Im super pumped for it. All the hacks n stuffs are neat but mine will remain stock for a while.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 05:03:17 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #126 on: October 11, 2017, 07:41:17 pm »

Thanks for mentioning this mod.   :cheers:

The ground wire is needed because ground doesn't go through the switches.

On the power board, 5v comes in from the back panel to the power PCB, passes through the reset switch, through the power switch, back through the reset switch, to the power LED and GPIO.

5v in ---------|--------|
                  reset     power
5v  out  --|---|--------|
             LED

Scott

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
« Reply #127 on: October 12, 2017, 03:52:07 am »

Thanks for mentioning this mod.   :cheers:

The ground wire is needed because ground doesn't go through the switches.

On the power board, 5v comes in from the back panel to the power PCB, passes through the reset switch, through the power switch, back through the reset switch, to the power LED and GPIO.

5v in ---------|--------|
                  reset     power
5v  out  --|---|--------|
             LED

Scott

Ah, that makes sense.

However, one thing that did confuse me is that there appears to be two sets of traces that need to be cut (I presume the switch is double pole / double throw?). One set of traces is obviously for the power, but what's the other set for?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #128 on: October 12, 2017, 04:41:28 pm »
Ah, that makes sense.

However, one thing that did confuse me is that there appears to be two sets of traces that need to be cut (I presume the switch is double pole / double throw?). One set of traces is obviously for the power, but what's the other set for?
Yes, reset is a momentary DPDT switch.

One pair of traces is going to the power button (through one pole of the reset switch), the other pair is coming from the power button. (through the other pole of the reset switch)

The reset button contacts are red.  Jumper wires are green.

Before mod:
Reset not pressed (connection from COM to NC on both poles)
5v in  ____________|
                  reset     power
5v  out  __________|

Reset pressed (no connection from COM to NC on both poles)
5v in  ______/______|
                  reset     power
5v  out  ____/______|

After mod:
- Cutting the four traces completely removes the reset DPDT switch from the power path.
- Two jumpers complete the power path in place of the two poles of the reset switch.
- The COM and NO of one pole connect to GPIO pin 5 (input) and pin 9 (ground) to trigger the safe shutdown script.
                  _____
5v in  ____|  _/_  |____|
                    reset     power
5v  out  __   _/_    ____|
                |______|

Scott
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 04:48:49 pm by PL1 »

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2024, 07:46:54 pm
  • Cheapskate Arcade
« Reply #129 on: October 14, 2017, 10:22:06 am »
I picked an snes classic up at Target the morning.  They had one left.  They received a case yesterday and still had one left this morning.  This bodes well for supply in the future.  Don't pay a scalper, if I can randomly get one a week or two after release its not gonna be hard to pick one up. 

I can't wait to mod mine with the nes classic game list and do a few other tweaks! :)

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #130 on: October 14, 2017, 05:34:44 pm »
I’ve been to Target twice in the last two days and I’ve just moseyed over to the Nintendo section to see if they have them, but neither one has had them.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:58:32 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #131 on: October 14, 2017, 08:13:32 pm »
Did you actually ask?  They're locked up in a cabinet here.  No glass.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #132 on: October 14, 2017, 09:45:19 pm »
I’ve been to Target twice in the last two days and I’ve just moseyed over to the Nintendo section to see if they have them, but neither one has had them.

Be sure to ask someone in the electronics section -- I did the same at the 2 stores here that showed they should have some and neither had any in the case - at the second store I asked the employee at the electronics desk and they had them in a drawer behind the cash register station - and I got the next to last one ( She told me they kept them there in order to not have to keep going and opening the display case to retrieve them !) - She then also checked the other store and it was showing 12 still in stock - so I guess they were doing the same !

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #133 on: October 14, 2017, 09:54:17 pm »
Enh, they were more cursory glances than anything.

I got my PiTendo up and running, I’ll save the $80.

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
« Reply #134 on: October 15, 2017, 04:26:46 pm »

One pair of traces is going to the power button (through one pole of the reset switch), the other pair is coming from the power button. (through the other pole of the reset switch)

Before mod:
5v in  ____________|
                  reset     power
5v  out  __________|

5v in  ______/______|
                  reset     power
5v  out  ____/______|

After mod:
- Cutting the four traces completely removes the reset DPDT switch from the power path.
- Two jumpers complete the power path in place of the two poles of the reset switch.
- The COM and NO of one pole connect to GPIO pin 5 (input) and pin 9 (ground) to trigger the safe shutdown script.
                  _____
                    reset     power
                |______|

Scott

I've just modded my NesPi case using Glen Planamento's YouTube write up as a starting point, and it works! I didn't even need to install the script. For some reason it was already pre-installed on my RetroPie build.

Also, thanks for your explanation concerning the switches. However, you're slightly wrong. Before doing the mod, I did a continuity check across all the pins, and noticed that two of the traces are actually a single continuous trace that bypasses the reset switch. Therefore, you only need to cut two of the four traces.

When I get some time I'll do a full write up.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #135 on: October 15, 2017, 05:32:07 pm »

Before mod:
5v in  ____________|
                  reset     power
5v  out  __________|

5v in  ______/______|
                  reset     power
5v  out  ____/______|

After mod:
                  _____
                    reset     power
                |______|

Scott

I've just modded my NesPi case using Glen Planamento's YouTube write up as a starting point, and it works! I didn't even need to install the script. For some reason it was already pre-installed on my RetroPie build.

Also, thanks for your explanation concerning the switches. However, you're slightly wrong. Before doing the mod, I did a continuity check across all the pins, and noticed that two of the traces are actually a single continuous trace that bypasses the reset switch. Therefore, you only need to cut two of the four traces.

Please do!

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #136 on: October 15, 2017, 10:58:44 pm »
Thanks for the correction.   :cheers:

I assumed the guy knew what he was doing so I didn't do continuity checks before doing the mod.   :embarassed:

Sounds great.   ;D

Scott

JimmyU

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 05, 2024, 10:26:55 pm
  • I believe I can fly!
« Reply #137 on: October 16, 2017, 11:01:58 am »
I got a hold of a SNES Classic on Saturday at Walmart. Ahh, memories. Just got to mod it and add more games.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #138 on: October 16, 2017, 02:07:35 pm »
So it looks like Nintendo actually followed through with their promise to have a larger stock than the NES Classic.  I've been reading everywhere that people are able to find them. 

Yet, I still see people on CL or on the Facebook market trying to hock them for $200...  :dizzy:

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #139 on: October 16, 2017, 02:43:02 pm »
Yet, I still see people on CL or on the Facebook market trying to hock them for $200...  :dizzy:

I really want all the ---uvulas--- that bought extras to sell to get stuck with them.

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:38:47 pm
« Reply #140 on: October 16, 2017, 02:53:59 pm »
I scored one at Target on Saturday evening. They actually had a few of them available in the case which was a shocker. Kudos to Nintendo for doing a better job anticipating the demand. Like Malenko said, hopefully the scalpers will get stuck with a ton of extra units that they can't sell.

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Cheapskate Arcade
« Reply #141 on: October 16, 2017, 05:31:46 pm »

I really want all the ---uvulas--- that bought extras to sell to get stuck with them.

Unfortunately they can simply return them in most cases for a full refund if they don't sell them.  That said, we can at least get some enjoyment from the amount of time they wasted to try to flip these.  :)

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #142 on: October 16, 2017, 11:54:03 pm »
Well, here's to hoping Amazon stocks them soon so I can return it to Target.  Kinda stung spending actual money on that.

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Cheapskate Arcade
« Reply #143 on: October 17, 2017, 04:17:39 pm »
Well, here's to hoping Amazon stocks them soon so I can return it to Target.  Kinda stung spending actual money on that.

Amazon takes bitcoin?  Or do you and Bezos have some kind of "arrangement"?  ;D

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #144 on: October 17, 2017, 04:56:43 pm »
I've got like $500 in gift cards, bro.  Lots of walking and taking surveys.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #145 on: October 17, 2017, 05:03:33 pm »
Hey aren't you saving for Zapcon?

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #146 on: October 17, 2017, 08:11:15 pm »
Separate piles for separate purposes.  I actually signed up for a vaccine trial to pay off ZapCon.  If I pass the screening, it'll cover it.  We'll see.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #147 on: October 17, 2017, 10:25:45 pm »
Separate piles for separate purposes.  I actually signed up for a vaccine trial to pay off ZapCon.  If I pass the screening, it'll cover it.  We'll see.

James is going to be Patient Zero at the next ZapCon

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #148 on: October 18, 2017, 12:16:35 am »
Chikingunya and I hope to god I don't get the placebo.  Vaccine is a measles variant that's been successful in Europe where human life is cheap.

What game list is everyone installing?  I'm up to about 89 and it feels complete.  I went through the IGN top 100 snes games and whittled off the stuff I'll never play.

voltz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 14, 2018, 01:17:59 am
« Reply #149 on: October 18, 2017, 02:40:20 am »
Does Nintendo make these things to support their native resolution or at least a perfect x2?

I've got an hdmi to vga adapter and scanline generator handy.
Moff's the Stuff!

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 04:55:02 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #150 on: October 18, 2017, 03:21:31 am »
Does Nintendo make these things to support their native resolution or at least a perfect x2?

I've got an hdmi to vga adapter and scanline generator handy.

The system has a Display settings you can go into.

With all the hacking there may be more options at this point, but the 4:3 with custom borders seems to be the way to go.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #151 on: October 18, 2017, 04:10:18 am »
What game list is everyone installing? 

Here’s what I got so far:
Aladdin
Axelay
Bahamut Lagoon
Blackthorn
Chrono Trigger
Contra III
Demon’s Crest
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3
Earthbound
Earthworm Jim
Final Fantasy IV (sfc translation)
Final Fantasy V (GBA translation port)
Final Fantasy VI (sfc translation)
Final Fight
Final Fight 2
Final Fight 3
F-Zero
Gradius 3
Hagane
Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius
Kirby’s Dream Course
Kirby Superstar
Knights of the Round
The Lost Vikings
The Lost Vikings 2
Mega Man 7
Mega Man X
Mega Man X2
Mega Man X3
Ninja Gaiden Trilogy
Ogre Battle
Pilotwings
Pocky & Rocky
Pocky & Rocky 2
R-type III
Secret of Mana
Secret of Mana 2
Shadowrun
Starfox
Starfox 2
Street Fighter II Turbo
Stunt race FX
Sunset Riders
Super Bomberman
Super Castlevania IV (uncensored hack)
Super Ghouls n Ghosts (reduced slowdown hack)
Super Mario All Stars
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario RPG
Super Mario World
Super Metroid
Super Metroid: Super Zero Mission (fan hack)
Super Off-road
Super Punchout
Super R-type
Super Star Wars
Super Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back
Super Star Wars: Return of the Jedi
TMNT: Turtles in Time
Tetris and Dr. Mario (overscan fix and cantering hack)
Zelda LTTP
Top Gear
Top Gear 2
U.N. Squadron
Unholy Knight (2017 ex-SNK developers fighting game)
Wild guns
Wrecking Crew ‘98 (translated)
Yoshi’s Island
Zombies Ate my Neighbors

I’m going to tweak the list more, get rid of a few things and perhaps add more RPG’s and a few more hacks.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #152 on: October 18, 2017, 04:34:52 am »
Super Putty?

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #153 on: October 18, 2017, 08:14:04 am »
After 3 years of trying to make an Intel NUC become a Raspberry Pi for several different reasons I bought a Pi 3 with an NES case.  Once I get the software going this weekend I want to install the following games:

Aladdin
Bust A Move 2
Doom
Earthworm Jim
Final Fight
Mortal Kombat 1,2,3
NBA Jam
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Super Mario World
Zelda Link To The Past
Zombies At My Neighbors (Thanks for reminding me Opt)

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #154 on: October 18, 2017, 09:37:30 am »
MK1 on SNES.... really? MKII for sure but the first one? Must be nostalia /shrug
Why does everyone install NBA Jam over NBA Jam TE? I think NBA Hangtime is the better game (on SNES). Not a critique, a serious inquiry

Opt is missing Tetris Attack (aka panel de pon)

Some honorable mentions for less popular but fun games:
Megaman Soccer : If you like soccer this is a fun take on it
Legend of the Mystical Ninja : goofy japanese action game
(Saturday Night) Slam Masters : great port of the CPS2 game
Super Fire Pro Wrestling XP (Sardu translation) Best wrestling game with all your 90s favorites and like 100 slots to make your own wrestlers
EVO  : You attack with your animal and evolve it (like upgrading your jaw, growing a horn, etc) gets butt ---smurfin--- hard at the end
Goof Troop : pretty brilliant game, if you can get past the theme
Rock n Roll Racing: You have to blindly get through the first few screens then soft reset on Canoe, then it works fine. RC Proam style game
Does SimCity count? This is my favorite version of the game, you can have Bowser attack your city!

Lots of people like Uniracers but I think it sucked.

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #155 on: October 18, 2017, 09:42:55 am »
If you guys are not putting uniracers in your list, you need to reevaluate your life.

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 04:55:02 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #156 on: October 18, 2017, 09:54:38 am »
I added Uniracer strictly to look cool, I dont like the game either.

Collage Slam > NBA Jame - Only because thats what I played growing up.

Killer Instinct

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #157 on: October 18, 2017, 10:37:16 am »
Yeah I like Uniracers, but it doesn’t work properly in Canoe. The ghost unicycle doesn’t display properly while you play, and I find it distracting.

I avoided putting games on this thing that aren’t working well. Rock n Roll Racing included. If my nieces can’t just load up games without any weird tricks then they didn’t get on my list.

Tetris Attack is meh. Tetris in general is meh. I only have Tetris and Dr. Mario on this because I love competitive Dr. Mario. But anything else Tetris related bores the crap outta me. That goes the same for any wrestling game. Saturday Night Slam Masters as well. I only really give them a chance if I can play with 3 other buddies. But that ain’t happening on the SNESC.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #158 on: October 18, 2017, 11:03:20 am »
Tetris Attack is meh. Tetris in general is meh. I only have Tetris and Dr. Mario on this because I love competitive Dr. Mario. But anything else Tetris related bores the crap outta me. That goes the same for any wrestling game. Saturday Night Slam Masters as well. I only really give them a chance if I can play with 3 other buddies. But that ain’t happening on the SNESC.

BOOOOOOOO!

Also game has nothing to do with Tetris, like at all. No pieces drop from the top, its all tile swapping.  They just renamed Panel De Pon  to Tetris Attack that so stupid Americans would buy and play it , kind of like renaming pnickies "Dr.Robotniks mean bean machine" in the US.

! No longer available

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #159 on: October 18, 2017, 11:05:43 am »
Ooo I forgot Micro Machines to!!