Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Anyone buy the Snes Classic?  (Read 22534 times)

lisowskikevin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:49:55 pm
  • If you take shortcuts, you get cut short.
Anyone buy the Snes Classic?
« on: October 01, 2017, 08:31:44 pm »
Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone bought the new Snes Mini? As someone who already built a machine with multiple emulators I still went out and got one. Pretty neat for $99 but it's definitely missing some great games. I plan on adding a bunch more to it to make it really worth it.

Anyone else pick one up?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 08:34:19 pm by lisowskikevin »

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
Re: Anyone buy the Snes Classic?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 10:36:22 pm »
Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone bought the new Snes Mini? As someone who already built a machine with multiple emulators I still went out and got one. Pretty neat for $99 but it's definitely missing some great games. I plan on adding a bunch more to it to make it really worth it.

Anyone else pick one up?

No. I got a raspberry pi that can emulate games and actually work with my crt. Has Bluetooth too.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:39:51 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 04:39:14 am »
That was a really helpful reply. Everybody knows you have a pi. We get it. The op wants to hear from someone who bought a mini.

keilmillerjr

• Offline Offline
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 05:16:32 am »
That was a really helpful reply. Everybody knows you have a pi. We get it. The op wants to hear from someone who bought a mini.

OP asked "Anyone buy the Snes Classic?". My answer was no and I explained why. It's pretty huge that a "retro" console won't connect to a "retro" tv. RPI 35 + power supply 10 + power switch 10 + sd card 10 + case 10 + PS3 wireless controller 20 = 95$, but you have a better device than the classic console. I don't get it because I can actually buy an original nes or snes console and a multicart for less money and have a console that will take original carts, work with any tv, just won't do shaders on new lcds.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 05:24:21 am »
 ::)

elvis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 13, 2023, 05:31:03 pm
  • penguin poker
    • StickFreaks
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 05:28:53 am »
RPI 35 + power supply 10 + power switch 10 + sd card 10 + case 10 + PS3 wireless controller 20 = 95$, but you have a better device than the classic console.
"Better" is subjective.  (Note: I don't own a SNES Classic, own original hardware, and do emulate elsewhere, but bear with me).  The SNES classic is literal plug and play for anyone, regardless of technical aptitude (the RPi is not, even if you handed one pre-configured to someone, and I speak from experience as a 20+ year Linux sysadmin veteran who has built these for friends, and seen them still bamboozled). 

Additionally, Nintendo's emulation quality is excellent - only Byuu's Higan/bsnes in accuracy mode is close to being on par, and requires far more processing power than the humble RPi can output.

I don't get it because I can actually buy an original nes or snes console and a multicart for less money
I can't.  SNES consoles average around $100 where I am.  Good quality multicarts well over $100 (ignoring the SuperFX2 incompatibility, which adds cost again).

Again, I do prefer (and own and use) real hardware, do prefer Linux and love RPi hardware, and am not buying a SNES Mini.  But I 100% understand why others would.  The potential market for them is large, and their value is fantastic for many people who simply don't want to deal with the complexity (and it is complex for non-technical folk) of hooking up old consoles, sourcing old TVs, or dealing with Raspberry Pis.

Preferences are preferences.  But there's clearly a huge market for these devices, and it's easy to see why.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 05:33:28 am by elvis »

keilmillerjr

• Offline Offline
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 05:39:37 am »
Nes/snes/genesis average about $40-50 here. Hooking up old consoles isn't complex. It's 3 wires that literally every tv 80's and up has. Do people know this?

I understand that setting up rpi is not easy nor perfect, but this is a byoac forum.

elvis

• Offline Offline
  • penguin poker
    • StickFreaks
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 06:29:52 am »
Nes/snes/genesis average about $40-50 here. Hooking up old consoles isn't complex. It's 3 wires that literally every tv 80's and up has. Do people know this?
"Regular Joe" plugs his SNES into a HDTV via the composite plug, it's ugly and lags.  Others tell him to get SCART cables, get framemeister upscalers, get extra stuff.  "Regular Joe" just whinges it's all too hard.  This is the basis of 90% of online discussions, and the entire reason why we've seen an explosion of "My Life In Gaming" style "retro console 101" YouTube channels, all of which are filled to the brim with comments saying that it's all too hard.

I'm 100% with you - this ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- is braindead easy.  But even that is too hard for most folks.  The technological divide is genuinely that large.

I understand that setting up rpi is not easy nor perfect, but this is a byoac forum.
And the members of BYOAC represent the intellectual 1%.  I'm genuinely not trying to be arrogant about these things, but quite legitimately most regular folks consider what we do here akin to rocket science.

Try chatting to an average person about Linux, emulation, retro consoles, video standards or any of it.  You may as well talk nuclear fission.

Again: I'm with you.  I'd take real hardware any day, and won't be buying a SNES Classic for all of the reasons you've outlined.  But once again, I 100% understand why so many people will buy one, and why they're so popular as a true legal and high quality plug and play solution.  I have countless friends who are buying and loving these things, despite me offering them solutions prior to the mini consoles existing.  And to be honest, I'm absolutely fine with their choices.  It reminds Nintendo that old games are worth selling, and is one less thing for me to be "neighbourhood I.T. guy" and fix.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 06:31:58 am by elvis »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 06:51:53 am »
The top 1 percent? Please. There are plenty of incredibly smart people that don't care at all about any of this stuff.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 06:55:19 am by Mike A »

thomas_surles

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2017, 07:55:59 am »
Im still waiting for the yellowed version to come out to match my snes.

elvis

• Offline Offline
  • penguin poker
    • StickFreaks
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2017, 08:08:35 am »
The top 1 percent? Please. There are plenty of incredibly smart people that don't care at all about any of this stuff.
Alright friend, I was just making a funny.  Don't take it too seriously.  Remember that I'm in agreement with you, even if my humour fell flat.  I don't want one, but I totally get why so many others do.  It's a great product.

The point remains: the reinforcement bias of a technical forum does not make for a fact finding mission that illustrates what the average person wants from a retro gaming toy.

Im still waiting for the yellowed version to come out to match my snes.
I've seen two folks already who've painted their minis like this.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2017, 08:11:11 am »
I HAVE A PI3 ALSO! It loads my Naomi roms on onto my NetDIMM. I remember when computers sucked and we wanted better machines to run emulators, now computers are awesome and people want to use ---smurfy--- RPis and  :censored: 'ing  BRAG about it.  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:

With that out of the way, I tried to get a SNES mini but they were sold out everywhere. I had to work so I couldn't stay up till midnight to hit up a walmart, and all the stores near my job were sold out by the time my lunch break rolled around. I still have my childhood Nintendo but I regrettably sold my SNES collection a few years ago.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2017, 08:13:27 am »
Fair enough. I guess it is too early for my humor receptors to kick in.

It would be nice for someone who actually has one to chime in. This thread is in serious danger of becoming completely derailed.
That would be unfortunate because thread derailment is such a rarity here. ;D

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:01:53 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2017, 09:56:45 am »
Every. ---smurfing---. Thread.

Anyway, sold out everywhere in Houston within 15 minutes of stores opening.  Given how many were at each store, I have much higher hopes this time around.  Other option is I throw in the towel and import a Famicom Mini from Japan and flash the software.... again.

:cheers:

lisowskikevin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2017, 10:17:22 am »

Anyway, sold out everywhere in Houston within 15 minutes of stores opening.  Given how many were at each store, I have much higher hopes this time around.  Other option is I throw in the towel and import a Famicom Mini from Japan and flash the software.... again.

:cheers:

You know what, it's friggin brutal because there could possibly be enough for many people to have it but the stupid scalpers went out and bought MULTIPLE units somehow. They are loading up on all the units even though they have no intention of using them or gifting them etc. They just want to hoard them and sell them for a profit near christmas time forcing people to either shell out the cash for more than double what its worth or disappointing their kids. Hate it so much.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2017, 10:19:49 am »

pis and air craft carriers, welcome to the new BYOAC.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2017, 01:20:23 pm »
"Muh Raspberry Pi" in the first. ---smurfing---. reply. This is so damn tiresome.

We get it. You have a pi. So do I, big whoop.

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2024, 07:46:54 pm
  • Cheapskate Arcade
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2017, 01:29:35 pm »
I have a pi.  I have a modded xbox, I have several modded wi's and a modded wi-u.

But I still want an SNES classic.  I agree with an earlier poster that the quantities available at launch seem to indicate that getting one for retail price should be much easier this time around.  Lets hope.

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:38:47 pm
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2017, 01:41:56 pm »
I also have multiple ways to play the games offered on the SNES classic (including original hardware with an SD2SNES). But as a collector of all things "video game related", I think these mini classic systems are kinda neat and am planning on getting one. I hope I can get my hands on one and also on the NES classic when it gets re-released...

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2017, 02:04:39 pm »
Hey guys,

Anyone else pick one up?

No. I got a raspberry pi that can emulate games and actually work with my crt. Has Bluetooth too.
Don't care about the crt, but agree on having a RPi over a SNES mini. Why would I buy something that does just 21 games and isn't the original? It's a nice idea, but not for me. Too expensive compared to a RPi or a cheap computer, that both can do more. I guess I am just not the collector-type. Heck, I even sold my SNES original and gave away some other older consoles.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2017, 02:23:48 pm »
Can you Pi cultists please just start your own thread? You can all congratulate each other for being intellectually superior to us commoners. Then you can leave the rest of us alone. I think all of the Pi posts belong in Politics and Religion.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2017, 02:25:46 pm »
Can you Pi cultists please just start your own thread?

Yes, please do. I want to immediately shitpost in it telling them all about how I think Pis are stupid and how my choice of device is better.

SuperGojira2001

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2017, 05:14:53 pm
  • Trying to learn...
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2017, 02:29:20 pm »
Lemme know when you can actually get a SNES Classic at MSRP  :laugh2:

dgrams2000

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2019, 06:00:04 pm
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2017, 04:42:12 pm »
Pretty neat for $99 but it's definitely missing some great games.
Anyone else pick one up?

Nope.  I try not to get 'Lucased' anymore.  (Buying the same thing through my life... over and over and over again - like Star Wars)

Getting to the point where one copy of everything is enough.  Whether it is 'original' or not.

lisowskikevin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2017, 05:06:51 pm »
Pretty neat for $99 but it's definitely missing some great games.
Anyone else pick one up?

Nope.  I try not to get 'Lucased' anymore.  (Buying the same thing through my life... over and over and over again - like Star Wars)

Getting to the point where one copy of everything is enough.  Whether it is 'original' or not.

Hahahhaha I love this! Well said. I hadn't thought about it that way. You've kinda blown my mind.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2017, 05:22:58 pm »

Yes, please do. I want to immediately shitpost in it telling them all about how I think Pis are stupid and how my choice of device is better.

***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

elvis

• Offline Offline
  • penguin poker
    • StickFreaks
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2017, 06:05:22 pm »
I'm actually a Linux cultist.  I'm hardware agnostic.

Definitely came up for me.  Same goes with a lot of recent retro collections of stuff.  Difficult though, because I want to support companies who release retro games for sale, but I'm also a bit over buying the same thing a dozen times (Street Fighter, I'm looking at you as a franchise).
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 06:17:22 pm by elvis »

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2017, 06:34:43 pm »
This just showed up on facebook and i thought of this thread

Kangum

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 25, 2018, 07:46:20 am
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2017, 07:18:40 pm »
I missed the 2 minute window they were sold in. I had other things to do besides wait for a website crash. As far as buying a real snes and buying a multicart I will just say I dont have faith in multicarts that say super mario bros 6 included on them.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 07:20:18 pm by Kangum »

romshark

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2023, 02:50:59 pm
  • Arcade and Robotics enthusiast
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2017, 08:41:12 pm »
I picked up an SNES Classic on Friday without much trouble. Just went to Target and waited with a few other people for them to open (went about an hour before they opened. Easy for me, since I get off work at 6 in the morning). There were a bunch of people by the time they opened, but they looked like they had enough for everyone. They did the ticket in line method (I was number 5.) Good weather, no problems.

Haven't really been to any stores since then, so not sure what the current availability is.

I'm more for the SNES Classic than the Pi or other ways to play it because it's an official Nintendo product (so sue me, I wanted an official product, even though I have dozens of other products that can play emulated games). I think the emulation appears spot on. And by that, I mean it even seems to have slowdown in the same places as the original hardware (which is good in my eyes.)

« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 08:43:06 pm by romshark »

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2017, 09:29:25 pm »
Got one at Best Buy - went at 6:45am since I got an E-mail saying they'd pass out tickets starting at 7am -- the store I went to finally came out at 9am to pass the tickets out but had 100+ units for the 80 in line by 9 am( I was 46th in line getting there at 6:45 )

Almost skipped it after Walmart cancelled the pre-order I had and other sites sold out so quick but was up any way so went to check on the line and it was short enough that I decided to stay. They wound up having about 20 units left after clearing the line so could have saved a couple hours waiting by just going at opening time but it wasn't too bad and figure now I don't have to trade one of the 2 NES classics I got last year to someone to get 1. (though still might try to find someone with the EU version that wants to trade.)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 09:30:56 pm by JDFan »

elvis

• Offline Offline
  • penguin poker
    • StickFreaks
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2017, 05:37:28 am »
Stores around me (Brisbane, Australia) have all confirmed more stock due, and in decent numbers (i.e.: not single digits like the NES Mini). While the first lot went first, it seems Nintendo are so far delivering on their "more stock than the NES Mini" promise.  Let's hope it continues through to Christmas.

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2017, 06:45:40 am »
I have a pi also.  She said if I spend money on frivolous stuff like an SNES Classic she would file for a divorce.  So I am holding out for the Nintendo Switch Classic.  And shouldn't this be posted in Consoles?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 06:47:24 am by jdbailey1206 »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2017, 06:53:47 am »
If she actually said that, then you should buy two of them.

lisowskikevin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2017, 07:07:46 am »
I have a pi also.  She said if I spend money on frivolous stuff like an SNES Classic she would file for a divorce.  So I am holding out for the Nintendo Switch Classic.  And shouldn't this be posted in Consoles?

Yup, my bad.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2017, 07:49:03 am »
I think main is fine, its not like you  can swap carts in the mini and its emulation. Judging by the posts, it needs to be in the pi section.

05SRT4

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:23:57 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2017, 07:55:49 am »
Something something Pi

romshark

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2023, 02:50:59 pm
  • Arcade and Robotics enthusiast
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2017, 08:47:38 am »
Just some ideas / dreams / complaining.  Some of this is about how Nintendo handles their "vintage" library.

In my idealized, purely fantasy world, the NES and SNES Classic would be able to hook up to the Nintendo Switch (using the USB cable to the Switch dock.) Doing so would automatically add the games to the Switch Virtual Console library (which should be out already.) Then, any other games purchased on the Virtual Console could be pushed to the corresponding Classic unit. (probably include the ability to put Sega Genesis games on the SNES classic.)

In addition, battery-backed up saves and the real-time saves could be synced between the Switch and the Classic unit.

Probably need some way to keep the Classic console from activating the game on multiple Switch units (friends passing it around like some sort of unlock key.) Maybe the Switch writes a file to the Classic memory to uniquely identify it? An Internet connection would be needed on first-time hookup.

This would be the only way to get Star Fox 2 on the Switch for a year or so. Exclusivity.

Also, side note, the Virtual Console needs to be a separate "app" on the Switch, instead of each game having a separate icon on the main screen. Things got too cluttered on the Wii. Folders make it easier on the 3DS, but a separate app would still be better. Would save a bit of space too, if the app had common emulation "cores," instead of each game being an emulator-ROM package (I'm guessing that's how it works? Unless the emulators are in the system firmware). Wouldn't have to update all the games if there's a bug found in the emulation of a particular system either. Just the app.

Last bit of venting..err..idea. Let me transfer the VC games and remaining store balance from my Wii to my Switch, before the Wii store shuts down in early 2019 (from what I understand, you won't even be able to re-download purchased stuff after that.)  It would be even better if all my Nintendo consoles could log into my Nintendo account and share games without having to rebuy them (like Google Play for Android phones), but I'd settle for transfer. I'd buy a lot more games if I knew they'd be available without repurchase a few systems down the road.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 08:50:33 am by romshark »

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:01:53 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2017, 10:05:29 am »
Yeah, somehow Sony's figured out how to maintain active libraries across 3 consoles but it's an impossible task for Nintendo.

:dunno

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2017, 10:21:08 am »
I love Pi.