Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Anyone buy the Snes Classic?  (Read 22532 times)

Titchgamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: Anyone buy the Snes Classic?
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2017, 11:16:09 am »

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:14:17 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2017, 11:59:29 am »
 :laugh2:

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:22:05 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2017, 12:04:28 pm »
 :applaud:

acvieluf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 16, 2024, 02:12:39 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,147793.0.html
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2017, 12:32:40 pm »
Im still waiting for the yellowed version to come out to match my snes.

Have you seen this fix? 

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2017, 02:45:48 pm »
That was a really helpful reply. Everybody knows you have a pi. We get it. The op wants to hear from someone who bought a mini.
Now we know who wrote this article.   ::)
http://thehardtimes.net/harddrive/spend-80-snes-classic-can-install-emulators-raspberry-pi-never-shut----fudgesicle---/
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2017, 03:44:34 pm »
That was a really helpful reply. Everybody knows you have a pi. We get it. The op wants to hear from someone who bought a mini.
Now we know who wrote this article.   ::)
http://thehardtimes.net/harddrive/spend-80-snes-classic-can-install-emulators-raspberry-pi-never-shut----fudgesicle---/

Links not working mate?

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2017, 04:41:11 pm »
Turn off the swearing censor, ---Bad words, bad words, whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do when saint censors you?---.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2017, 04:43:21 pm »
Turn off the swearing censor, ---Bad words, bad words, whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do when saint censors you?---.

Where is the ---smurfing--- like button again? +1 imaginary rep
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2017, 04:53:26 pm »

Ahh theres a naughty word in there somewhere then? Lol

Cant till on my moby :)

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2017, 05:28:14 pm »

Try it on your lappy, homie.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2017, 05:29:33 pm »

Try it on your lappy, homie.

Maybe tomorrow amigo :)

elvis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 13, 2023, 05:31:03 pm
  • penguin poker
    • StickFreaks
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2017, 10:44:41 pm »
Also, side note, the Virtual Console needs to be a separate "app" on the Switch
Agreed.  Would be nice to keep all the retro stuff off separate to the new stuff.

Yeah, somehow Sony's figured out how to maintain active libraries across 3 consoles but it's an impossible task for Nintendo.
Nintendo continually claim it will confuse their customer base.  If anything, that says a lot to me about how little Nintendo think of their customers.

It's software, corporatebros.  We're kind of used to it now.

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2024, 10:52:05 am
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2017, 05:29:46 am »
The whole point is that its a "retro" console that plays on a "non-retro" TV! Where will your Pi on a "retro" TV be when there are no more CRT's sold, or are expensive/in short supply? Alas, that won't be long.

Great, your Pi plays retro games. So does mine. So does my PC. So does my SNES console. It doesn't mean there isn't a market for the SNES classic mini. It is sold out EVERYWHERE after all, and I suspect the Pi isn't.

I know from that the Pi is a PITA to set up and keep working well and by the same token I know the SNES classic mini won't be. There is still a market for the SNES, whether you sleep with your Pi every night or not. My Pi is not a better device than the NES Classic Mini and I'm sure it isn't better than the SNES classic mini either.

Oh, and the SNES classic mini is legal - a Pi isn't with the SNES roms on it and nor is the multicart.

Want a SNES classic mini on a retro TV? Get a HDMI to Scart adapter. Simples.

OP asked "Anyone buy the Snes Classic?". My answer was no and I explained why. It's pretty huge that a "retro" console won't connect to a "retro" tv. RPI 35 + power supply 10 + power switch 10 + sd card 10 + case 10 + PS3 wireless controller 20 = 95$, but you have a better device than the classic console. I don't get it because I can actually buy an original nes or snes console and a multicart for less money and have a console that will take original carts, work with any tv, just won't do shaders on new lcds.

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2017, 06:38:50 am »
The whole point is that its a "retro" console that plays on a "non-retro" TV! Where will your Pi on a "retro" TV be when there are no more CRT's sold, or are expensive/in short supply? Alas, that won't be long.

Great, your Pi plays retro games. So does mine. So does my PC. So does my SNES console. It doesn't mean there isn't a market for the SNES classic mini. It is sold out EVERYWHERE after all, and I suspect the Pi isn't.

I know from that the Pi is a PITA to set up and keep working well and by the same token I know the SNES classic mini won't be. There is still a market for the SNES, whether you sleep with your Pi every night or not. My Pi is not a better device than the NES Classic Mini and I'm sure it isn't better than the SNES classic mini either.

Oh, and the SNES classic mini is legal - a Pi isn't with the SNES roms on it and nor is the multicart.

Want a SNES classic mini on a retro TV? Get a HDMI to Scart adapter. Simples.

OP asked "Anyone buy the Snes Classic?". My answer was no and I explained why. It's pretty huge that a "retro" console won't connect to a "retro" tv. RPI 35 + power supply 10 + power switch 10 + sd card 10 + case 10 + PS3 wireless controller 20 = 95$, but you have a better device than the classic console. I don't get it because I can actually buy an original nes or snes console and a multicart for less money and have a console that will take original carts, work with any tv, just won't do shaders on new lcds.

It would estimate the cost for Nintendo to add composite out to make the device compatible with virtually every tv in the world less than a dollar. It is a retro console, that doesn't work with a retro tv. Not all, but many people still have a crt at home.

On topic - what is the OP even asking? And they posted in the wrong sub forum.

lisowskikevin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:49:55 pm
  • If you take shortcuts, you get cut short.
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2017, 07:06:37 am »
I was just asking this BYOAC community if anyone had or was thinking of picking up an SNES mini and if so what your thoughts are on the device.

I guess I could have posted in a different spot in the forums. I was more or less just interested in the opinions of the people in this community.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2017, 10:45:38 am »
I was just asking this BYOAC community if anyone had or was thinking of picking up an SNES mini and if so what your thoughts are on the device.

I guess I could have posted in a different spot in the forums. I was more or less just interested in the opinions of the people in this community.

No, you're fine. Some people don't like that not everyone worships at the Church of Pi.

lisowskikevin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2017, 11:05:34 am »

No, you're fine. Some people don't like that not everyone worships at the Church of Pi.

Thankyou.  :cheers:

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2017, 12:55:38 pm »
I think main is fine, its not like you  can swap carts in the mini and its emulation. Judging by the posts, it needs to be in the pi section.
I guess it's fine to discuss Raspberry Pi's then in this "main-topic" :)

Still don't get why people would buy a $100 retro-console, while you can emulate multiple with a device (as I said a PC or... RPi) cheaper or just as expensive. For collecting/hoarding? Sure, if that's your thing, go for it. But that's not for me... Feels like throwing money away. Especially if you already have a machine capable of emulating consoles (as almost everybody has on this forum).

lisowskikevin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2017, 01:08:45 pm »
I think main is fine, its not like you  can swap carts in the mini and its emulation. Judging by the posts, it needs to be in the pi section.
I guess it's fine to discuss Raspberry Pi's then in this "main-topic" :)

Still don't get why people would buy a $100 retro-console, while you can emulate multiple with a device (as I said a PC or... RPi) cheaper or just as expensive. For collecting/hoarding? Sure, if that's your thing, go for it. But that's not for me... Feels like throwing money away. Especially if you already have a machine capable of emulating consoles (as almost everybody has on this forum).

I hear ya. For me like many others here I built a standup arcade with emulators and I love it but I also love the plug and play aspect of this Snes classic. $100 for something that is already developed and has a casing and ready to go isn't bad for me considering how much I spent on my basic standup setup. That's like the cost of one of my aimtraks lol.

However I wouldn't have bought the Snes classic it if it wasn't hackable. I'm not spending $100 for 21 games. That being said it's nice to hear everyone else's opinion like yourself because you and others raise good points.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2017, 02:52:00 pm »
Still don't get why people would buy a $100 retro-console, while you can emulate multiple with a device (as I said a PC or... RPi) cheaper or just as expensive.
It's $80 , plug and play with no set up / config, no SDCards, comes with 2 very authentic controllers, its pretty much idiot proof, and you support the parent company and dont have to steal any roms.

Stealing software and utilizing ---smurfy--- hardware is great, if it wasnt Pandora's boxes wouldnt be a thing.But if there's no companies left to make new stuff ; what are you going to steal in the future?

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2017, 05:17:04 pm »
Still don’t get why these Pi-sters think it’s cheaper. With the cost of controllers, a suitably large enough SD card, and time (= money) for setting up and endlessly tweaking not only emulator settings, control configurations, and input lag settings...the price exceeds something like this.

Besides, pi’s are for the filthy casuals.  >:D

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2017, 05:18:03 pm »
... and the Pi takes 3 minutes to boot and shits the bed if you cut the power.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2017, 07:31:20 pm »

I work in IT all day so screwing around with emulators and front-ends is by far my least favorite part of this hobby.  I haven't bought an SNES Classic yet but likely will should one come available for MSRP.  Plug and play via HDMI sounds real good.

keilmillerjr

• Offline Offline
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2017, 08:54:03 pm »
... and the Pi takes 3 minutes to boot and shits the bed if you cut the power.

Da fuk are you booting? It take 18 sec to fully boot lakka on rpi1.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2017, 09:04:59 pm »
Emulation Station does take a long time to boot. Haven't tried lakka...but again, the amount of time it takes to reconfigure yet another set-up just turns me off. I'd rather spend that time playing games than sifting through a handful of text files and hitting switches.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2017, 09:09:38 pm »
I'll seriously out cash on the barrel head for a Pi image that doesn't suck.  I downloaded a few "complete sets" and attract mode sucks balls on it.  Did love the Game Gear theme where the game image was two inches and blocked by glare.   :P

keilmillerjr

• Offline Offline
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2017, 09:57:56 pm »
I'll seriously out cash on the barrel head for a Pi image that doesn't suck.  I downloaded a few "complete sets" and attract mode sucks balls on it.  Did love the Game Gear theme where the game image was two inches and blocked by glare.   :P

I’ll agree with that. I tried retropie, didn’t even finish setting it up to the point of playing a game - and was already looking for something else. I have no complaints with lakka. Using rgui to display 240p. Attract mode on it would be cool as I develop theme and modules for attract mode, but I’m ok with it as is because it works extremely well. I’m using a rpi2 and the thing is quick.

bigster

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 16, 2022, 08:24:40 pm
« Reply #68 on: October 05, 2017, 07:48:50 am »
You guys think Nintendo is waiting until after oddsey to start pushing these again?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2017, 08:59:22 am »
Wow guys, it's not about that whole RPi (though it's fun to bring it up in every post). Most of the people here own a device (PC or whatever) that can emulate NES and SNES, so why bother to buy another (expensive) device? And of course I do get why people do so.  But that's just not my thing. I rather spend that money on something else. Another RPi for instance ;) Or beer. Or both.

Never knew that PC and RPi in the Arcade scene were like iOS and Android. Everybody has his own opinion (and expresses that once in a while), but respect that. Otherwise you are a really pathetic person in my opinion. Belittling people because of an opinion or preference, is just sad.

jdbailey1206

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #70 on: October 05, 2017, 09:41:22 am »
Or a NUC with LaunchBox.

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #71 on: October 05, 2017, 09:55:05 am »
I don't plan on buying it... (yes I have a Rasberry Pi). I just hate how every company is cashing in on the nostalgic thing... Plus I can't stand Nintendo, for all of the bs they put you fan boys through... Release NES classic... run out right away, release more... run out right away, stop production (due to costs?). Release Nintendo Switch... run out of consoles, Release SNES classic... run out right away. Etc.

Nintendo has to be the worst company right now. Can't keep up with demand, keeps releasing more hardware, creates this black market of $200+ nes classics. It's freaking crazy!

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

jdbailey1206

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #72 on: October 05, 2017, 10:59:33 am »
I don't plan on buying it... (yes I have a Rasberry Pi). I just hate how every company is cashing in on the nostalgic thing... Plus I can't stand Nintendo, for all of the bs they put you fan boys through... Release NES classic... run out right away, release more... run out right away, stop production (due to costs?). Release Nintendo Switch... run out of consoles, Release SNES classic... run out right away. Etc.

Nintendo has to be the worst company right now. Can't keep up with demand, keeps releasing more hardware, creates this black market of $200+ nes classics. It's freaking crazy!

Like pbj said....

Yeah, somehow Sony's figured out how to maintain active libraries across 3 consoles but it's an impossible task for Nintendo.

:dunno

lisowskikevin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2017, 11:03:33 am »

Just to be clear I am not a Nintendo Fanboy, I was always more of a Genesis/Sega Cd/Dreamcast kid. I actually never owned a Nintendo product aside from the Virtual boy ahahahaha That being said I purchased this as a plug and play device that I did not have to create! Man the hours and hours I spent with Hyperspin lol But ya I HATE the black market.

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #74 on: October 05, 2017, 11:09:28 am »
Since this thread is off the rails anyway, I might as well chime in...

I can fully boot into emulation station game-ready in less than 20 seconds on my Pi. By the time I find the controller and sit back down on the couch, it's ready to play. Matter of fact, I think my only complaint is that it takes longer to shut down than start up.  :-\

I REALLY wanted a NESC and SNESC, be ended up not buying either. The way Nintendo handled the launch of these systems was colossally bad. I was just off-put by the whole thing. It baffled me how hard they made it to get one. And having a job/life should not preclude getting one.

I may reconsider next year when all the nerd-hype has vanished, scalpers have moved on, and they wind up on end caps at Target.
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: October 05, 2017, 12:04:24 pm »
Otherwise you are a really pathetic person in my opinion. Belittling people because of an opinion or preference, is just sad.[/size]
So, you're a really pathetic person since your are belittling people because of an opinion or preference?

Im with veee-dub, I want one but I can wait.

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #76 on: October 05, 2017, 12:08:13 pm »
veee-dub,

I like that.  ;D

Imaginary turbo-rep for you!
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: October 05, 2017, 12:12:50 pm »
Never knew that PC and RPi in the Arcade scene were like iOS and Android.
Stick around longer.

Everybody has his own opinion (and expresses that once in a while), but respect that. Otherwise you are a really pathetic person in my opinion. Belittling people because of an opinion or preference, is just sad.
Kettle, you black.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #78 on: October 05, 2017, 12:48:13 pm »
I would probably have a much higher opinion of the Raspberry Pi if not for the Raspberry Pi community.

1500points

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2018, 01:44:12 pm
    • How to succeed at Robotron
« Reply #79 on: October 05, 2017, 01:23:55 pm »
Beyond all the banter.

I'll add in that I bought one of these on pre-order with intentions of giving it to one of the grandkids for christmas.
It arrived Tuesday.  The quality is good, the menu is good.  Should be easy and super mario kart plays well.

BUT to be honest, it feels about the same as the NES classic attract mode setup for Pi3 that someone did recently.
It wouldn't transplant itself with my own pi setups, but Nintendo did a nice job on the licensed product.
It would have been better at 40 bucks rather than 80 for what it is.

This SNES variant looks like it would do the trick if you can't get ahold of a SNES at a reasonable price and want to try the Pi world.
http://www.rasptendo.com/?product=rasptendo-retro-gaming-case