Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Is there a way to control the drit in Scud Race (Super Model 3)?  (Read 3525 times)

mickael28

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 01, 2020, 07:56:15 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Is there a way to control the drit in Scud Race (Super Model 3)?
« on: September 30, 2017, 02:59:27 pm »
I was trying Scud Race today (on automatic mode) and for example in the Medium track, there are quite a lot of turns where even if you start drifting and it seems the car is going to make it, then it starts sliding (whilst drifting) and you end up hitting the wall.

I was checking some videos of @MrThunderwing in youtube, and it seems in those examples he's having the same problem:
https://youtu.be/5Q98fnlBll4?t=4m57s
https://youtu.be/5Q98fnlBll4?t=5m13s

Is there a trick/method to take the corners in this game properly, either stopping the car sliding whilst drifting or controlling it somehow so that one doesn't end up smashing the wall?

mickael28

• Offline Offline
Re: Is there a way to control the drit in Scud Race (Super Model 3)?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 03:35:17 pm »
Now I see other videos of @MrThunderwing where he's doing it really nice, so how should the corners be taken so that the car can be controlled better?

mickael28

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 06:29:16 pm »
I just found the explanation in another video, much better now... although still quite tricky!

https://youtu.be/PkVRr0rA088?t=13m
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 07:05:13 pm by mickael28 »

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:31:43 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 08:05:22 pm »
I was going to suggest looking up Trojan-X's video for his tips, he can explain it far more eloquently than me. Scud Race is a very tricky game, If I went back and played the Advanced course again now, having not played it in awhile, I'd probably end up crashing on all the difficult corners. I can't say I've ever fully 100% got to grips with it. Even in the video you linked to above where I get 1st on the Advanced stage, I still kept thinking the car could spin out at any time on the two big hairpins at the end.

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 08:15:07 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 11:36:56 pm »
I was trying Scud Race today (on automatic mode) and for example in the Medium track, there are quite a lot of turns where even if you start drifting and it seems the car is going to make it, then it starts sliding (whilst drifting) and you end up hitting the wall.

I was checking some videos of @MrThunderwing in youtube, and it seems in those examples he's having the same problem:
https://youtu.be/5Q98fnlBll4?t=4m57s
https://youtu.be/5Q98fnlBll4?t=5m13s

Is there a trick/method to take the corners in this game properly, either stopping the car sliding whilst drifting or controlling it somehow so that one doesn't end up smashing the wall?

You've just asked the $$$$million$$$$ dollar question everyone and their mother wants to know. Like MT said, these cars are tricky. Hell, I'll go one even further and say they're downright finnicky and unpredictable. Much much MUCH more unpredictable and difficult to tame than even Daytona USA IMO. I gave up on trying to finish 1st place in Scud Race because I just can't come to grips(no pun intended) with how these cars drive. Seems you basically need to feather the brake perfectly to a tee while steering gently and precisely. Maybe I'll study Trojan X's vids a bit more and revisit the game once my new PC rig is up and running. The other reason I stopped playing is because the FFB still needs work.

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 11:13:43 am
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 12:33:32 am »
I cant even get Daytona's drifting system down nevermind Scud. But I still have fun trying. Cant wait to get my cabs finished so I can practice!

mickael28

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 12:06:32 pm »
When I asked, I thought I was missing something really obvious, as I am kind of ok with racing games but in this one, using a similar technique to other games, the car just keeps on sliding and either hitting the wall or spinning!

After checking those videos, I improved a little yesterday, from 30th and not finishing the 2nd lap LOL, to ~15th and just meters to finish the 3rd lap, tricky as hell still though. What MT mentions, I took some corners pretty pretty well and high speed, but it seems it was more luck than knowing what I'm doing to make it repeatable as next time I was back to sliding or spinning!

Not sure if it's because of this difficulty though, I liked it quite a lot!!!, so I'll keep practicing and see if eventually I manage to finish races... :)

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 11:13:43 am
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 12:12:06 pm »
Yeah, I'm with ya. I spent like 5 hours one day playing Daytona 2 and Scud over and over just trying to get better. Its addictive. I think that's the real draw of those particular games actually, mastering the mechanics. Can be frustrating at times but still fun as hell!

mickael28

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 12:33:27 pm »
In my case, exactly that, if it were easy (as so many games nowadays, where you just keep on winning without doing much) I wouldn't have played much, but the damn addiction of learning what to do and keep on getting better is quite high in some titles. My closer friends, unfortunately, feel the opposite and if they don't manage to do well in a few minutes, they find it frustrating, think it's a bad title, and will never go back :S

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:31:43 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2017, 04:01:48 pm »
If I remember correctly with Scud Race, if it looks like your drift is going too wide and you're going to hit the wall apply a little brake with your foot still on the gas to try and correct it. If you come off the gas completely, which feels like what you'd naturally try and do to slow down, you'll spin out. Also, you can't do any gear drifts like in Daytona and Outrun 2, they're purely for controlling speed.

mickael28

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2017, 07:54:55 pm »
If I remember correctly with Scud Race, if it looks like your drift is going too wide and you're going to hit the wall apply a little brake with your foot still on the gas to try and correct it. If you come off the gas completely, which feels like what you'd naturally try and do to slow down, you'll spin out. Also, you can't do any gear drifts like in Daytona and Outrun 2, they're purely for controlling speed.

I'll see when I can give it another go. I didn't figure it out yesterday, but I was feeling something along those lines... kind of, when I had both feet on the pedals sometimes I was able to control it, but as you mentioned, if I didn't have the accelerator (and I was already in a corner) most likely is that I was going to spin out, regardless of what I was doing with wheel or brake pedal... Thanks mate!