Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Game controllers setup for mame  (Read 2675 times)

Marcoqwerty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 02:46:08 pm
Game controllers setup for mame
« on: September 29, 2017, 04:27:58 am »
Hello....

I have some trouble/confusion about HOW setup mame analog and game controllers trought windows options.

I use a dedicated encoder (not a commercial game wheel) with a pot for the pedal.

Basically (for mame and pc games) i should to settup the X cross in the middle of the square referred to the game controllers windows (see pic below)?

If yes i have some trouble with spyhunter to moving the car, this is always moving on, through the pedal is in the rest position.

To avoid this i need to change some options in mame? if yes which?  :dizzy:

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: Game controllers setup for mame
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 12:04:12 pm »
Mame has its own analogue settings which can be configured via the in game menu by pressing tab.

Marcoqwerty

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 06:48:27 pm »
What settings? i tried it all!

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 07:23:14 pm »
Afraid I dont really understand your problem so cant give you specific settings to look at.

But like I said all the analogue settings can be accessed through the tab menu.

Marcoqwerty

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 08:14:56 pm »
I know the settings can be accessed trought menu TAB, and they cant help me.

I'm interest to setup analog control as working in the same way of the pc game....usually the analog device are setup trought windows game controllers, but if i setup on this way, the movement in mame games are wrong.

For example the car in spyhuntr game,works wrong, because she runs on the rest pedal position (cross in the middle to top of the square, in the controllers settings).

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 04:19:05 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 08:42:10 pm »
I use a dedicated encoder
Not that it makes much difference, but which type of encoder?
A-Pac?  U-HID?  KADE miniArcade 2.0?

with a pot for the pedal.
Are the pedal pots wired as Single Axis or Dual Axis?

If the pots are wired as a single axis, here's what happens when you press/release the pedals.

the car in spyhuntr game,works wrong, because she runs on the rest pedal position (cross in the middle to top of the square, in the controllers settings).
Sounds like your pedals are wired for single axis (each pedal uses half of one axis), but the game is looking for dual axis. (each pedal uses a separate axis)

You can use a relay to switch between single and dual-axis.

What settings? i tried it all!
In the "Input (this game)" menu:
- Paddle Analog = steering wheel
- Pedal Analog 1 = gas pedal
- Set the Inc and Dec inputs to "none" (press Enter then ESC)

In the "Analog Controls" menu:
- Sensitivity sets sensitivity for that axis
- Reverse "flips" the axis (i.e. changes unpressed pedal = crosshair at the top to unpressed pedal = crosshair at the bottom)

Scott
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 08:59:59 pm by PL1 »

Marcoqwerty

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 10:03:45 pm »
Not that it makes much difference, but which type of encoder?
A-Pac?  U-HID?  KADE miniArcade 2.0?

Ops not in the list...its a SmartASD quite similar to U-HID. (a multi analog and digital encoder)

Are the pedal pots wired as Single Axis or Dual Axis?

This its totally new for me...i say thank you for these useful info about pot and others connection. :notworthy:

Basically i use a single pot (i have on my coin-op only one pedal)

Sounds like your pedals are wired for single axis (each pedal uses half of one axis), but the game is looking for dual axis. (each pedal uses a separate axis)

Ok now im quite confused...i have only one pedal (also spyhunter use only one) so i wired it on dual axis...right?

In the "Input (this game)" menu:
- Paddle Analog = steering wheel
- Pedal Analog 1 = gas pedal
- Set the Inc and Dec inputs to "none" (press Enter then ESC)

In the "Analog Controls" menu:
- Sensitivity sets sensitivity for that axis
- Reverse "flips" the axis (i.e. changes unpressed pedal = crosshair at the top to unpressed pedal = crosshair at the bottom)

Yes i perfect, i configured all these setting, you forget the setting in mame.ini file....most are useless except for the saturation but didnt help me to stop the cars.

At first time i had setup the "cross" in the LOWER part of the square....with a complete range of movement to reach the top of this square (Y AXIS).
All the mame games worked correclty, obliviously not the PC GAME (which requires the cross in the middle)

So its came to me this doubt, something is wrong on my setting....also i have notice this is unusual for the mame games, because at my friend (the mame games) works correctly in the middle position (but he dont have a pot....just a regular joystick to control the Y AXIS)

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 04:19:05 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 11:30:23 pm »
Ok now im quite confused...i have only one pedal (also spyhunter use only one) so i wired it on dual axis...right?
Yes.  Since you don't have a brake pedal, you wire the gas pedal pot like the gas pedal pot in the "dual axis" -- one pedal = one full axis.

At first time i had setup the "cross" in the LOWER part of the square....with a complete range of movement to reach the top of this square (Y AXIS).
All the mame games worked correclty, obliviously not the PC GAME (which requires the cross in the middle)

So its came to me this doubt, something is wrong on my setting....also i have notice this is unusual for the mame games, because at my friend (the mame games) works correctly in the middle position (but he dont have a pot....just a regular joystick to control the Y AXIS)
Tried using "Joy 1 Y Axis" of an analog stick for the pedal in Spy Hunter. (MAME)

To make "top" = "most gas" and "bottom" = "no gas", I reversed the axis and the full range of the pot controlled the full range of the gas.
-------
You kinda lost me on the "PC GAME" part :dizzy:(related info here?), but it sounds like that game wants a 2-pot "Single Axis" hardware setup. (pedal(s) not pushed = axis centered)

I don't think there is a software workaround/calibration that makes a "Dual Axis" hardware setup behave like a "Single Axis" hardware setup for a PC game, but there might be a way to make MAME recognize only half of an axis on a "Single Axis" hardware setup.  :dunno

(sorry, but I don't remember where I read something like that or how to do it   :embarassed:)

Scott

Marcoqwerty

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2017, 08:59:38 am »
but it sounds like that game wants a 2-pot "Single Axis" hardware setup. (pedal(s) not pushed = axis centered)

yes this is what im looking for! i already setup mame to PEDAL = Y AXIS but this game (and others) need more "range o movement" to have "no gas".

How i tell you before, the games works correctly if i setup the encoder with the "X cross" at the bottom....i i think it is not correct.

At the moment i switch between 2 encoder config to using both games (mame and pc games)