Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Searching for ultimate MAME setup (NO LATENCY!)  (Read 3903 times)

Count Trakula

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 01, 2017, 05:59:46 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Searching for ultimate MAME setup (NO LATENCY!)
« on: September 27, 2017, 03:35:14 pm »
Hi guys!  I’ve recently purchased an upright MAME arcade that needs tweaked, and I’m possibly looking at building another from scratch that focuses on the most accurate, uncompromising arcade experience possible.  I’m located in the Los Angeles area and am looking for someone with a lot of experience I could hire for help with this.  Thanks in advance!

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
Re: Searching for ultimate MAME setup (NO LATENCY!)
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 08:56:19 pm »
Hi guys!  I’ve recently purchased an upright MAME arcade that needs tweaked, and I’m possibly looking at building another from scratch that focuses on the most accurate, uncompromising arcade experience possible.  I’m located in the Los Angeles area and am looking for someone with a lot of experience I could hire for help with this.  Thanks in advance!

Use a crt with groovymame, jpac key encoder (jamma and 15khz filter), and a computer with decent specs. That's it.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:48:34 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 11:37:36 pm »
the most accurate, uncompromising arcade experience possible.

gonna have to play on original boards then.

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 11:58:25 pm »
All you need to do is use a crt, that is it, no other tricks, use a CRT. I have been in this hobby since it almost began, the first mentions of latency or display lag came about the same time that people started using flat panel monitors.

Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

csnow

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2023, 10:30:54 am
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 07:50:51 am »
SSD drive will greatly improve load and boot-up times.  Outside of that, there aren't any tricks.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 02:12:12 pm »
All you need to do is use a crt, that is it, no other tricks, use a CRT. I have been in this hobby since it almost began, the first mentions of latency or display lag came about the same time that people started using flat panel monitors.
I believe you right away, but is there any reason to that? I would have thought a CRT would be a lot "slower" (I don't notice stuff like that anyway), working with lines etc.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:48:34 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 02:25:11 pm »
LCD and plasma displays have a lot of processing that goes into building each panel update...often there is a delay in when a frame is received and when it's displayed because it has to receive the entire frame FIRST, process it...then display it.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 03:26:51 pm »
Some flat panel screens can have there settings adjusted to help with this problem.

If I hook my pi consoles up to my big LG LED tv I have to set it to "game mode" otherwise there is noticeable lag.

On the flip side my smaller LED tv upstairs does not have that issue!

Haze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2023, 08:30:02 am
    • MAME Development Blog
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 04:42:52 pm »
read
https://byuu.org/articles/latency/

but really, if you want no emulator induced latency you're going to have to use the original PCBs and a CRT.
not the xx-in-1 PCBs because those are just emulators and also have their own latency.

postmortem

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 03, 2020, 10:58:40 am
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 06:06:48 pm »
The issue with LCD monitors is the battle between input lag and screen tearing. If you disable vsync and triple buffering you will get minimal input lag, but you will probably have screen tearing issues. I find the best comprise is to use triple buffering. Otherwise CRT is ideal for sure.
Cabs: Tron, MKII, MK4, KI2, Blitz99, TMNT, Pac-Mania, Defender, Mame Box.
PCBs: MK1, UMK3, Killer Instinct, Area51, Sunset Riders, Pit Fighter, Wargods.
Pins: Bride of PinBot, Attack from Mars, The Shadow

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 06:22:56 pm »
focuses on the most accurate, uncompromising arcade experience possible.

Start collecting real arcade games.
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2017, 09:24:02 pm »
The crt is actually so fast at displaying the image that the latency essentially rounds down to zero. The best response times will be found on the older cheaper sets (and arcade monitors), that weren't using an onboard microprocessor or fancy chipset to do any display tricks.

I believe you right away, but is there any reason to that? I would have thought a CRT would be a lot "slower" (I don't notice stuff like that anyway), working with lines etc.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2017, 04:36:36 am »
Thanks for the explanation(s)!

Haze

• Offline Offline
    • MAME Development Blog
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2017, 02:19:40 pm »
If you're not using a CRT then apparently the high end Gsync monitors combined with a good Nvidia card are your next best bet as they'll match the proper frequencies, so you can have smooth scrolling without having to enable triple buffer of Vsync, both of which add lag.

That said, I'm not sure anybody has done comprehensive tests on them, and they are expensive.  People with them seem to recommend them highly tho.

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2017, 09:45:50 pm »
Early 2000 era 19" and 21" PC monitors are still pretty easy to come by and make pretty good general mame and gaming monitors. They don't show up on craigslist that often anymore, but asking around to your facebook friends can probably shake one loose for free.

postmortem

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 03, 2020, 10:58:40 am
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2017, 08:39:06 pm »
If you're not using a CRT then apparently the high end Gsync monitors combined with a good Nvidia card are your next best bet as they'll match the proper frequencies, so you can have smooth scrolling without having to enable triple buffer of Vsync, both of which add lag.

That said, I'm not sure anybody has done comprehensive tests on them, and they are expensive.  People with them seem to recommend them highly tho.

How about freesync? Has anyone messed with that and Mame? I'm wondering if it is better than triple buffering.
Cabs: Tron, MKII, MK4, KI2, Blitz99, TMNT, Pac-Mania, Defender, Mame Box.
PCBs: MK1, UMK3, Killer Instinct, Area51, Sunset Riders, Pit Fighter, Wargods.
Pins: Bride of PinBot, Attack from Mars, The Shadow

Haze

• Offline Offline
    • MAME Development Blog
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2017, 06:35:16 pm »

How about freesync? Has anyone messed with that and Mame? I'm wondering if it is better than triple buffering.

Haven't found a single person who has reported it to work / not work with MAME.

Outside of MAME I've heard people say it's an inferior option tho, however, these type of things depend very much on the use cases and maturity of technology available.