Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Help troubleshooting the deadzone of a Logitech GT driving wheel,is this normal?  (Read 1926 times)

mickael28

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 01, 2020, 07:56:15 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Today I was trying a few games which doesn't have force feedback but seem to allow the wheel (like Initial D 3 in Demul emulator, or Road Fighters 3D), the issue is that I've got what I think it's a pretty big deadzone, not sure if it's normal, if I'm not configuring something correctly, or if the wheel itself is defective.

The issue is still present in games that support actual force feedback and all that middle zone basically doesn't do anything (as in, the car doesn't respond!)

What do you guys think from this video? Something that I could sort out from my end?

https://streamable.com/jtasn

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:54:06 am
I'm not sure what the video supposed to show.  Are you saying the PC registers no movement when you turn it that far?  It would be more useful to show the windows game controller config window behind it so we can see how far you have to turn the wheel before movement is detected.  The centering feedback kicking in has nothing to do with deadzone.

mickael28

• Offline Offline
Sorry, yes, that's what I meant, the car doesn't respond when I am inside the game and move the wheel that far, but I've just checked the config and it does respond ok there. Let me attach my settings and a couple of videos to see if I manage to explain the issue better.

My settings:

The video of the controller config responding ok, even in that middle zone:
https://streamable.com/ke8dc

The video of the car not responding whilst inside the game and moving the wheel in that middle zone:
https://streamable.com/67bee

My main doubt is if that behaviour is normal and I just need to get used to it, or if it doesn't seem right and the car should respond much sooner (as soon as one moves the wheel)?

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 11:13:43 am
That amount of deadzone seems pretty normal to me my friend. Don't forget that the game itself probably applies its own amount of dead zone as well. Its there so that you don't immediately veer of the course. Even game pads have a small deadzone so that if the analog stick wears out a little and starts to move to one side or the other, you wont have the player or car moving when your not moving the stick...

I don't own that wheel though so someone who does can probably speak better to that. But I bet if you try to get used to it it will be second nature in no time.

mickael28

• Offline Offline
Thanks for checking man. I was kind of getting used to that deadzone in most games (kind of slow/simulation) but then I tried some arcade ones, like Underground - the arcade dump, and it is so tricky to handle, as that deadzone is just in the way doing nothing and if one has to turn multiple times in a matter of seconds... the car just doesn't follow quick enough!!

I forgot if real driving wheels in arcade machines have this behaviour, but I don't remember it at all, so I doubt it?

I feel tempted to buy another brand (not logitech) to give it a go... but if the deadzone problem exists in all of them, it might not be worth getting a new wheel just for checking this behaviour...