Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: So thus far Star Trek Discovery sucks.  (Read 24611 times)

nitrogen_widget

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: So thus far Star Trek Discovery sucks.
« Reply #80 on: November 03, 2017, 06:54:05 am »
Bangs the admiral then throw her under the klingon bus in order to keep his post.
save the admiral huh?
yeah lets see what star fleet says even though i've ordered us into the belly of the beast numerous times before and to hell with what starfleet says.

who didn't see that coming a mile away?

ok. the show has gotten better.
still prefer orville.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #81 on: November 03, 2017, 05:56:44 pm »
Ugh, 7 Episodes in and they've already played the -stuck in a time loop- card. This show is such a train wreck.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #82 on: November 03, 2017, 08:04:41 pm »
I actually liked 7, but more in a campy b-movie way.  Some things were terrible and very un-trek-like but in such a way that they wrapped around and became sort of charming.  Like the star fleet rave party.  That was pretty stupid and very kelvin universe.  I thought it was pretty bad-ass when Mudd came out of the space whale with a space suit that was so cheesy it should have been on Lost in Space.  Also the space whale... again, let's blow canon to hell.  The first space whale-ish creature seen in Starfleet was that one on TNG, which they could have dodged a little bit, but absolutely nobody seemed impressed or suprised by the space whale..... if anything they seemed a bit annoyed. 

Last night's Orville was pretty good.  It's yet another recycled tng plot, but it was world building and done very well.  Poor-man's Data FTW!

Loafmeister

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 08, 2020, 03:21:17 am
« Reply #83 on: November 09, 2017, 08:23:30 am »
This thread seems to be as much for The Orville as it is for ST Discovery so here goes with my opinion on the Orville.

After 4 episodes in, I have to say I'm way more impressed with this show than I thought I'd be. I'm neither a fan nor a non-fan of Seth MacFarlane but I have to say there's been a few bouts of actual acting in some of these episodes, especially the gender re-assignment one.  The Orville plays like Star Trek light, don't worry about the details, just have fun and look at the heart.  Specific to the gender reassignment, yes, that is like classic Trek and kudos on them for going with the ending they did.  The only thing I was expecting that maybe I wish they had done, is some kind of scan of the planet showing gender reassignment isn't the rare event they have said it is (kind of alluded with the companion and the female) but I get that may have gotten too far from the main point.  Like good sci-fi, the episode made you think afterwards, for both sides of the argument and even different arguments. Well done!

The early teasers/trailers for this show were really off-base though, giving us the impression it would be more Galaxy Quest style but as it's been stated in this thread, it's really a drama with some comedic bits.  If I can be critical, I like this type of comedy but they are doing such a decent job with the drama parts that I wonder if it's not misplaced at times.  Still, when they nail a joke, I do indeed laugh so I guess they know what they are doing.

I still have quite a few other episodes to catch up on and as far as ST:D is concerned, I'm only watched 2 halves of 2 episodes, I do plan on watching from the beginning, just haven't gotten around to it. So although I haven't seen enough to really say which is better, I'll say I can't wait to watch more of the Orville while for ST:D, I guess I'll get around to it eventually.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:53 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #84 on: November 09, 2017, 08:25:15 pm »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #85 on: November 09, 2017, 10:52:46 pm »
Well there is this crackpot theory circulating that ST:D is set in the evil mirror universe and believe it or not episode 8 kind of alluded to that theory.  I'll try to avoid spoilers, but there is a crew member that is currently hooked up to the spore drive that is hallucinating after a jump.  They call the nerdy roommate "captain" and in a later scene explain that after a jump they feel "here in time and space one moment and events and history are shifted about the next"   I mean that sounds like an alternate universe to me and I don't see how they could invent a universe darker than the one they already have. 

Of course things have been fairly terrible thus far, so it could just be bad writing.  Honestly if there was anything to watch on Monday evenings I wouldn't be watching this train-wreck. 

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:53 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #86 on: November 10, 2017, 02:18:52 pm »
is an "alternate reality" an excuse for everybody hating it?

executive#1 EVERYONE HATES STAR TREK DISCOVERY!
executive#2 ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---, enact the... ALTERNATE REALITY backup plan!
executive#1 until we hire new writers more in touch with what people want?
executive#2 EXACTLY!

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #87 on: November 10, 2017, 08:54:25 pm »
is an "alternate reality" an excuse for everybody hating it?

executive#1 EVERYONE HATES STAR TREK DISCOVERY!
executive#2 ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---, enact the... ALTERNATE REALITY backup plan!
executive#1 until we hire new writers more in touch with what people want?
executive#2 EXACTLY!

What are you talking about?
It's a highly rated show.
the internet says so. ::)

personally i got two episodes in the Q and looking for other stuff to watch on hulu and netflix.
it's not horrible or even bad, there is just other stuff i'd rather watch.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #88 on: November 10, 2017, 11:12:39 pm »
Actually I haven't found a single person on the internet that liked it.  Now clueless Hollywood critics, they love the pos. 

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 06:00:00 am
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #89 on: November 12, 2017, 07:29:07 am »
I like Discovery, a lot.

I came in with very low expectations and am very happy so far.
  • There was at the start of the show about 60+ years of canon. Star Trek has always played a little fast and lose with canon in order to keep telling relevant stories for the time the current show is in. In TOS the Klingons stood in for the USSR, how many times did they talk about there all important religion before Next Gen? In STNG the became much more like the Japanese. Ones bitter enemies who have become close allies, and are honor obsessed warriors.
    Discovery is looking at modern issue’s like ethnocentrism, cultural preservation, and ultra nationalism. The Klingons and elements of the Volcans are being used to tell stories around these issues. Make the empire Great again!!!
  • Enterprise went out of it’s way to fit into the Canon and even fixing continuity, some 30 years after it was broken. And they had one good season (the second) where they had to leave the usual stomping grounds of the federation to free themselves up to tell a new interesting story. And it didn't fit into the original time line ether, do to time travel.

There are lots of things I would have done differently, but I’m willing to give them time and space to tell new relevent stories.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 08:03:00 am by Locke141 »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #90 on: November 12, 2017, 12:32:31 pm »
You don't blow away 50 years worth of the tightest canon in sci-fi history because "it's hard." That is an unforgivable sin, full stop.  Also if enterprise is so bad why did they go out of their way to make yet another prequel show that nobody wanted?  You can like it, I won't deny you that, but it is objectively bad and more importantly objectively bad Star Trek.  Canon, on Star Trek, is paramount.  There are over 280 hours of Star Trek out there with very few bad episodes/films.  Do you know what almost all of that bad content has in common?  Yup, they break canon.  Breaking canon is a warning sign that writers and show runners only have a superficial understanding of Star Trek and thus the episodes turn out sub-par because they don't understand the characters, tropes, and settings they are writing about. 

You say you wish to give them "space to tell new relevant stories".  How's that worked out so far?  They've done the "completing this mission is morally objective as it hurts a sentient creature" episode, the obligatory time loop episode and the "crew member is taken over by a seemingly good race of non-corporeal beings" episode.  Not a lot of new there, which would be fine, if they didn't ruin canon.  My point is there was zero reason to do it and this show needs to die so we can finally have a 25th century sequel to real Star Trek.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2022, 07:22:35 am
  • Correct horse battery staple
« Reply #91 on: November 12, 2017, 01:46:02 pm »
Canon, on Star Trek, is paramount.

Is it really though?  I mean, again I can only really use TNG as an example since it's the only show I've bothered to watch end-to-end.  But owing to its lack of over-arching narrative, writers seemed to have no trouble introducing ideas and then eschewing them later.  The egregiously silly "warp speed limit" comes to mind...

There are over 280 hours of Star Trek out there with very few bad episodes/films.

TNG might have something to say about that...
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 03:09:45 pm by shponglefan »

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 06:00:00 am
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #92 on: November 12, 2017, 08:45:50 pm »
Canon, on Star Trek, is paramount.

Is it really though?  I mean, again I can only really use TNG as an example since it's the only show I've bothered to watch end-to-end.  But owing to its lack of over-arching narrative, writers seemed to have no trouble introducing ideas and then eschewing them later.  The egregiously silly "warp speed limit" comes to mind...

There are over 280 hours of Star Trek out there with very few bad episodes/films.

TNG might have something to say about that...

This is a good point. There are a lot of bad TNG episodes, most of voyager was crap, and even DS9 (the best star trek) had lots of terrible episodes. In fact DS9, which I love and just re-watched last year, took two or three years to find it's groove. The final 3 seasons, and it huge story arks made that show.   

Give Discovery a chance and don't sweet the in-continuities with canon, some one will fix them 20 year later or we will just over look them for ever.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #93 on: January 14, 2018, 09:42:52 am »
CBS all access commercial free is available on Amazon Channels now with a 3 day free trial.
The entire first season of Star Trek Discovery hasn't been released yet though.
I watched up through episode 11. 

It's odd to watch a show released only on a streaming service and have it written for commercial breaks.
I'm hoping this means they will air it on regular broadcast tv after the season is over.

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2023, 07:20:31 am
  • life, don't talk to me about life
« Reply #94 on: January 14, 2018, 12:01:42 pm »
  ... But owing to its lack of over-arching narrative, writers seemed to have no trouble introducing ideas and then eschewing them later...

Indeed. This is one of the things that irritates me the most about Star Trek, and to be fair many other Sci Fi shows (although Star Trek is one of the worst offenders).

One example from TNG is when Captain Picard and a few other crew members are involved in (yet another) “transporter accident” and end up becoming child versions of themselves, but with their adult personalities and memories retained.

Just imagine what a game changer it would be if we had the technology to relive our childhoods, but with the benefit of our adult experiences and memories. It would effectively mean that people could choose to be immortal.

But none of the profound issues raised by this technology were ever really addressed in the episode. It was just used as a cheap disposable plot device. What's even more bizarre is that they found a way to reverse the process, and all the affected crew decided they wanted to become adults again, and thus effectively lose decades of life!

Oh, and this technological breakthrough was never ever mentioned again!!

It constantly baffled me why some people think that Star Trek is an example of good Science Fiction.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." - Samuel Johnson

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #95 on: January 14, 2018, 12:45:56 pm »
Man you really don't understand the theme of Star Trek.  We've evolved beyond our petty need for vanity and our ridiculous fear of death.  (Thus no religion.)   It wasn't explored further because nobody wants to be a kid again or be young again, they want to experience their lives to their natural conclusion. 

Star Trek is about humanism.... if you don't understand humanism, sadly you will never understand the GENRE DEFINING SERIES that is Star Trek TNG. 

As for the episodic nature, that was done purposefully.... this is the 80's/90's we are talking about... if it were episodic it would have meant that missing a few episodes would have made it impossible for new viewers to jump in.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:58:22 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #96 on: January 14, 2018, 04:57:02 pm »
Yeah, okay, sweet, sweet, pure secular humanism in one hand, 40 more years in the other.   ::)

It's odd to watch a show released only on a streaming service and have it written for commercial breaks.
I'm hoping this means they will air it on regular broadcast tv after the season is over.

Check out Mystery Science Theater on Netflix.  It feels like it was filmed 5 years ago and was clearly meant for broadcast with commercials.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #97 on: January 14, 2018, 09:35:09 pm »
Man you really don't understand the theme of Star Trek.  We've evolved beyond our petty need for vanity and our ridiculous fear of death.  (Thus no religion.)   It wasn't explored further because nobody wants to be a kid again or be young again, they want to experience their lives to their natural conclusion. 

Star Trek is about humanism.... if you don't understand humanism, sadly you will never understand the GENRE DEFINING SERIES that is Star Trek TNG.

You can defend it however you want, but you must admit the "science" fiction/technology aspects in TNG are pretty silly.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #98 on: January 14, 2018, 10:34:36 pm »
It constantly baffled me why some people think that Star Trek is an example of good Science Fiction.

It's one of those shows that is just too inconsistent, especially when it keeps jumping into sci-fantasy territory.

When it sticks to the "harder" sci-fi elements or focuses more the human aspects, it can be quite good.  But the variability in quality and the way technology seems to exist at times just to serve the plot-of-the-week makes it frustrating to watch at times.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 10:36:23 pm by shponglefan »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #99 on: January 14, 2018, 11:10:22 pm »

You can defend it however you want, but you must admit the "science" fiction/technology aspects in TNG are pretty silly.

No, no they aren't.  NASA consultants were hired by the show to make sure that the technobabble and general concepts at least sounded believable.  Compare it to pretty much every sci-fi show before it or at the time and it was head and shoulders above it.  Also it was "inconsistent"  because unlike stagnant shows today, they had a revolving door of some of the best scifi writers in the world coming in to do shows.  Yeah sometimes there were duds and yeah the first season was fairly terrible, but the show was consistently fantastic otherwise.  They threw the genre on it's side by realizing that nobody really cared about the alien of the week... that aspect of the show was merely filler...they cared about Data's exploration of humanity, and Worf's exploration of what it is to be Klingon.  Character development is the primary focus of the show, which had never really been done before and since every single solitary scifi show worth mentioning follows the same format. 

So again, TNG is about humanism, if you don't like the show then you don't understand humanism and I pity you, because you will never get why good scifi is good or fully appreciate all of these wonderful shows that have been made since based upon the rough layout of TNG.  Farscape, Stargate SG1, Babylon 5 and even more modern shows like the Battlestar remake are all built upon the framework of that GROUNDBREAKING show.  If you disagree sorry, you are just wrong.  The creators of these shows will tell you flat out that I am correct and hell, a good chunk of them literally worked on TNG back in the day. 

Again I don't think you guys are getting that this show came out in 1987....The last scifi show worth mentioning on broadcast tv was Galactica 1980 and if you want to see how big of a leap was made, go back and watch a few episodes of that garbage.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
« Reply #100 on: January 15, 2018, 01:15:19 pm »
The Walking Dead is really a show about the human condition.  But some people like and dislike it because of the zombies.  In fact, I would go so far as to say its popularity is based mostly on the zombies.

Point being that regardless of what the writers tried to achieve or the actors philosophy was in playing their character, people tune in for the stuff they like.  Your point about TNG being the only sci-fi series in 7 years just goes to prove that the reason people tuned in was for their sci-fi fix in a time when it was unique, which made it go down easier.  Even the most rancid water will taste great to someone dying of thirst.  Just because you found something deeper in it doesn't mean it was the reason the show was successful or has a lot of followers.  Keep in mind, the same audiences were in love with Knight Rider around that time...

Personally, I couldn't get into TNG.  I was a fan of the original series and a bit of a hardcore sci-fi fan, but I found the show simply "meh".  If I wanted good sci-fi I read a book, and if I wanted to enjoy the Star Trek universe I watched the original show. 

As someone who doesn't watch the new series and was not a TNG or DS9 fan, I would agree that the science fiction I have seen from all of it has more holes than swiss cheese.  Enjoy the show for the entertainment value, if you want real science fiction, read a book, you will never find it in washed down television shows designed for mass audiences.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #101 on: January 17, 2018, 12:09:54 pm »
No, no they aren't.  NASA consultants were hired by the show to make sure that the technobabble and general concepts at least sounded believable.

I'm not talking about whether or not it "sounds believable".  Honestly, whether or not a warp engine or transporter system is physically possible, I don't really care.  I can suspend my disbelief for things like that and it's part-and-parcel to watching a show like TNG.

What I'm talking about is the way technology is used in a rather arbitrary fashion in service of the plot.  For example, take an episode like "Cause and Effect".  It's a great episode overall and easily one of TNG's best.  But the entire setup for the episode is silly.  They are put in the collision course of another ship and the very things that would alleviate the situation (maneuvering thrusters and/or shields) are rendered inoperable for no apparent reason.  Yet things like shuttle bay doors and the tractor beam are completely unaffected, because they need something to act as a solution to the dilemma.

It's things like this that are just silly (and lazy writing IMHO), when you start to break them down.  The fact that a lot of episodes have an arbitrary technobabble problem and an equally arbitrary technobabble solution does not make for compelling sci-fi.

They threw the genre on it's side by realizing that nobody really cared about the alien of the week... that aspect of the show was merely filler...they cared about Data's exploration of humanity, and Worf's exploration of what it is to be Klingon.  Character development is the primary focus of the show, which had never really been done before and since every single solitary scifi show worth mentioning follows the same format.

Character development in the series is pretty weak though.  Arguably only Picard, Data and Worf had any real development to them.  The rest of the cast was largely there to fill in designated roles.  Crusher does Doctor stuff, Geordi does engineer stuff, Troi provides exposition and so on.

So again, TNG is about humanism, if you don't like the show then you don't understand humanism and I pity you, because you will never get why good scifi is good or fully appreciate all of these wonderful shows that have been made since based upon the rough layout of TNG.

Oh please, don't start with the whole "if you don't understand it" nonsense.  That's just a cop-out for a poor defense of a show which while having its moments, also suffers from a number of obvious flaws.

I suppose you could consider it groundbreaking at the time, but at this point the show has aged poorly.  And there's nothing wrong with that.  I mean, I enjoyed it enough to sit through a rewatch of the entire series.  But in doing so and especially in comparing to contemporary series, the weaknesses of TNG stand out all the more.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #102 on: January 17, 2018, 12:45:05 pm »
What I'm talking about is the way technology is used in a rather arbitrary fashion in service of the plot.  For example, take an episode like "Cause and Effect".  It's a great episode overall and easily one of TNG's best.  But the entire setup for the episode is silly.  They are put in the collision course of another ship and the very things that would alleviate the situation (maneuvering thrusters and/or shields) are rendered inoperable for no apparent reason.  Yet things like shuttle bay doors and the tractor beam are completely unaffected, because they need something to act as a solution to the dilemma.

I'm sorry the thrusters inoperable but the shuttle bay doors working ruined your trek experience.  Just a hint, when Howard is like "Chill dude, its just a TV show." You know it is a Trek conversation has gone too far.  :lol

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #103 on: January 17, 2018, 01:05:12 pm »

I'm sorry the thrusters inoperable but the shuttle bay doors working ruined your trek experience.  Just a hint, when Howard is like "Chill dude, its just a TV show." You know it is a Trek conversation has gone too far.  :lol

Wasn't my point.  I'm simply pointing out that Star Trek's treatment of technology in service of the plot is often silly. And that's fine.  Things can be silly and be entertaining (Doctor Who is built on that premise).  The least we can do is admit that.

(And for anyone accusing me of nitpicking I wasn't the one complaining about holograms leaning on tables. ;))
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 01:07:36 pm by shponglefan »

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #104 on: January 17, 2018, 02:51:42 pm »
No worries! I'm just messing with you, bro! ;D

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #105 on: January 18, 2018, 12:46:22 pm »
 It's all good. Star trek is srs bsns.  :cheers:

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #106 on: January 18, 2018, 02:55:32 pm »
The other morning I was thinking about the time the Orville had to do a bunch of quick jumps in space around an enemy ship they were fighting.
Then I realized it was a klingon ship and it was actually Star Trek Discovery.   :lol
Pretty bad that I got a comedy and drama mixed up because they're both so Trek.

Speaking of Stargate (since the Discovery has a silly giant one built in), there is a new show called Stargate Origins coming out.
Made for internet streaming without a buyer in mind, so probably going to be fairly low budget.
It could still be a decent show if the writing is good. 

"stream it first" on https://www.stargatecommand.co/home for a $20 one time access fee as far as I can tell.
I haven't seen any news of it being picked up elsewhere.

MGM owns Comet TV (OTA channel) and runs the old series on it. 
There are no other first run shows on that channel, so I can't imagine they'll air it on there.

EDIT: "The show will feature ten 10-minute episodes and be exclusively available to stream on Stargate Command"

I do not have high hopes for a 10 minute show.  :-\

« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 03:22:40 pm by BadMouth »

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm
« Reply #107 on: January 18, 2018, 11:19:42 pm »
Yeah, okay, sweet, sweet, pure secular humanism in one hand, 40 more years in the other.   ::)

Twenty-eight (28). The Kurzweil has spoken. Really interesting times loom. Humanism has gotten so.....blah.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #108 on: February 05, 2018, 09:24:08 pm »
Just catching up with this. It's bad Star Trek, but a great fan fiction Star Trek.

I like some of the darker moments (death scenes) and some of the cussing has been fun. Overall, I'll tune in to see what happens next. :)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #109 on: February 06, 2018, 03:03:51 pm »
It's a train wreck that I can't look away from at this point.  The Klingon "twist" that everybody saw 20 miles away is not only dumb, but physically impossible, which spits in the face of the Star Trek law that any scifi in the show must at least seem possible.  Sarek continues to be a loving father to his human child, despite the fact that he shunned Spock for decades due to being too human.  Btw, why the hell haven't we seen Spock yet?  This show is only supposed to be set 7 years prior to TOS. 

The mirror universe stuff was a complete waste of time and the latest plot development made at the end of the last episode was beyond dumb and the federation, no matter how desperate, would NEVER do that.  Yeah let's put Asian Hitler in charge of a starship... I can't see anything bad happening from that. 

Also you know where I complained about all the canon breaking due to the introduction of different tech?  Well they've made some really strange decisions in regards to what they kept.  They still have the beyond fake-looking and completely cheesy "food synthesizers" from TOS.  Same orange door, same sound, everything.  If there was any tech on the original enterprise that nobody would have complained about if they updated, it would have been that thing, but they kept it.  Meanwhile the view screen, which is iconic and literally changed the way living rooms and home theaters were designed is removed. 

I mean we all know how this is going to turn out.... they'll eventually go back in time. Since they still insist that this is the prime universe they'll have to since the Klingons never took over the federation.  So I don't understand why they are jerking everyone around with this false drama..... stick to stories of the week because we all know how federation history turns out, especially when this is only 7 years before TOS.  It's going to be very awkward if the show goes beyond 7 seasons.  Enterprise was a sequel, a fact that I hated, but at least they had the good sense to set it a full century before Kirk so they had some wiggle room in regards to the story. 

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #110 on: February 07, 2018, 10:05:19 pm »
lol

Your comments are the best. I'm enjoying seeing some new Star Trek. My dad has watched every series, but he doesn't really get into them. When I told them the time frame of this, he was shocked. He thought for sure it was just some sort of parallel universe. I think that's the key to enjoying this version of Star Trek.

To me, the biggest crime being committed is by CBS. Holding this show hostage on its streaming network.... tsk tsk.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #111 on: February 08, 2018, 02:38:42 pm »
lol

Your comments are the best. I'm enjoying seeing some new Star Trek.

I do too... that's why I'm excited that The Orville got renewed for a second season... you know, so I can watch some new Star Trek. 

The network isn't a problem....  I don't know of a single person that isn't pirating this show.  Hopefully that'll lead to a quicker cancellation and somebody else can attempt to make a good series that's actually a sequel and not a prequel. 

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #112 on: February 08, 2018, 06:18:55 pm »
Yeah - Orvilles next on my list. Since this is a Orville thread disguised as a Star Trek thread - I'll post my thoughts here.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #113 on: February 12, 2018, 02:53:08 am »
Dear god.  I just watched the finale and it might be the worst season finale in the history of Star Trek.  Remember all of that action they substituted for plot at the beginning of the series?  Where the ---fudgesicle--- was that now?  There was zero suspense and zero conflict.  We've got this bomb that's introduced in the last 5 minutes and a mere minute after it is introduced Berman walks up to Asian Hitler and says "Hey cut that out"  and she's like "ok"  Oh and the female Klingon that's been built up as the main villain throughout the whole show.... Berman hands over the bomb to her and says "Ok now unify the Klingon empire and don't hurt the federation anymore" and again, she's like "ok"  I would chalk this up to Klingon honor, but the Klingons in this bizarre warping of reality don't appear to have any.... attacking a federation that didn't attack them first. 

So the show starts to end on this b.s. speech about Federation ethics, which would be welcomed on a series that actually represented them.  I get the feeling that this was meant to say to the audience "Ok, we ---fouled up beyond all recognition--- up and we know it." but then they get themselves even deeper into hot water by answering a distress call by the Enterprise in the last scene.  Now at this point Kirk isn't there yet, but Spock is.... and Sarek is currently on the Discovery.... how the hell are they going to explain all of this stuff I've been talking about in regards to Sarek's behavior?  Yeah they are boned any way they choose to handle it. 

Now for the "canon they screwed up this week" portion of the post:

1.  The Klingons would never "give" another species a region of Kronos.  The Klingon home world is scared.  If I remember my lore correctly, it was some time before Aliens were even allowed to set foot on the planet. 

2.  Ok now the Klingon ships are starting to look more like Klingon ships from this time period because......reasons?  Yeah they are breaking their own canon now.  Again, I think they are trying to course-correct.  It's amazing they decided to stick to their guns until the final episode though.  This finale feels tacked on, like that they knew this series was a turd from the start so they hobbled along to the end of the story arc and to their suprise they got renewed for a second season so they decided to fix things at the last minute.

3.  So Orions aren't green now, just a pale, mint green?  They even kept them green in those garbage reboot movies!!!  WTF?  How hard is it to go to the makeup store, get some green, and smear it all over some people?  Minus one rage point for putting Ron Howard's brother in there to get high with the portly chick.

4.  So the rest of the bridge crew get medals and they still don't bother to tell us their names.  This is getting silly..... introduce the frikkin cast already.

5.  So it's explained that Volk was a Klingon outcast because he had translucent white skin, as opposed to white.  So that's the lame lamp shade they tried to put on that colossal blunder.  It also conveniently explains away how they used expensive, silicon-based prosthetics in the premiere and then switched to cheap foam latex throughout the rest of the show.  Nice try guys, but you can't fool an old sfx nut like me.   

6.  I've already went on about how the Enterprise showing up is bad, but the look..... let's talk about the look.  You know how every federation ship we've seen thus far has been a stainless-steel looking affair that inexplicably looks like the ships after Star Trek Nemesis despite being a prequel?  Well, much like the Klingon ships, the Enterprise inexplicably looks period correct... except.... it's some strange hybrid of TOS enterprise and the Enterprise shown in the movies.  I'm actually ok with this... it's updated appropriately... but it infuriates me that with those changes they showed that the production team can do a tasteful update of ships for this time period and chose not to.

Strangely enough, I'm optimistic about the next season.  If they can somehow tip-toe around all the top-tier TOS canon they are rapidly approaching with the Enterprise encounter, they might be able to get back to some traditional Star Trek episodes.  The rapid back-pedaling they seem to be doing with this last episode makes me think that this is the new direction they want to take.  Hopefully the Klingons are gone for good as well.... they've ruined them, but that arc is over, so if they have the good sense to pretend none of it ever happened it could be ok. 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 02:58:17 am by Howard_Casto »

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:58:22 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #114 on: February 12, 2018, 12:02:33 pm »
and the domestication of the dog continued unabated.

menace

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2023, 10:57:06 am
« Reply #115 on: March 05, 2018, 07:30:07 am »
I absolutely hated the finale for pretty much every reason Howard said above--its like the writers were put in a room and told not to come out until they wrap it up in 30 mins or less--so they knocked out some crap and went to the bar..if I never see another klingon on this show again it will be too soon..

federation types: "so you want to completely eradicate us?"
Klingons: "yup pretty much, we have no problem with killing millions of your children"
federation: "hmm ok, well we planted a bomb on your planet but in the hopes of peace, here's the detonator.."
Klingons: "um ok thanks I guess (morons)-- see you in a few years to continue wiping you out after we have consolidated..."

ugh--what a piece of crap.
its better to not post and be thought a fool, then to whip out your keyboard and remove all doubt...