Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: So thus far Star Trek Discovery sucks.  (Read 24605 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
So thus far Star Trek Discovery sucks.
« on: September 24, 2017, 11:00:45 pm »
Yeah I was afraid this would happen.  Star Trek Discovery just isn't very good.  They seem to have mixed both the worst of the JJ films and the worst of the tv shows to combine into a ball of awful.  The production values of the show are dramatically increased, almost movie quality, but they ruined it by insisting of shooting every shot at a weird angle, lighting all of the interesting stuff poorly, and over-designing all the ships and costumes till it looks like bad Michael Bay cgi.  Oh and now everybody communicates via Star Wars holograms, even though this series takes place BEFORE Kirk and the gang.  They did the same thing with the Klingons.... they're now bald, have vampire fangs and dress like Egyptian drag queens.  Their ships, which have barely changed in style since TOS, now look like the aforementioned cgi cluster----smurfs---. 

And as bad as all of that is, the plot of the first episode is even worse.  It starts with an opening shot of the Klingons, then some minor stuff happens and the Discovery crew find an unknown object in space.  Could it be.... the Klingons?  I mean I'm pretty sure it is, cause you had just shown them for no reason at the opening of the show.  Then another scene with the Klingons explaining their plan.  So they go back to the Discovery and the rest of the episode is them speculating on the plan THAT WE ALREADY KNOW.  Dear god, it's like the writers completely forgot about the viewer's perspective.  I mean if the scenes would have been more interesting I could see it, but as I explained before, most scenes, especially the action scenes and exterior space shots are dark and poorly lit, so it was dull as hell.  It took a full 45 min episode to have one thing happen.  What happened would have normally taken up the first 2 minutes on a typical TNG episode. 

Maybe it's just a bad pilot, so I'll at least give the next episode (where hopefully something actually happens) a try, but thus far, the Orville, which is technically a parody of Star Trek, is doing better Star Trek than the official outing.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
Re: So thus far Star Trek Discovery sucks.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 11:46:02 pm »
Uh oh, Howard doesn’t like it, someone responsible for this pilot better get fired or their pay cut.  ::)

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:53 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 11:48:46 pm »
I agree. I was a real next generation nerd back in the day... but this... was so overly dramatic and ridiculous. Like, You see an unknown object and instead of studying it,  you send your 1st officer into space with a jet pack to damn near die of radiation? I can't imagine any captain ever making that decision unless it was a dire situation and it was needed to survive. This already seems like all action and no substance. I didn't even watch the whole thing.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 12:12:04 am »
Yeah it didn't make any sense... especially considering ships have probes they can launch.... if the probe doesn't come back or something bad happens THEN you start thinking about ways to get over there. 

And even the action wasn't that action packed... it was just sort of there. 

Did you notice how the crew kept using snarky sarcasm?  It like they saw the Avengers and somehow thought that kind of banter suddenly fit in the Star Trek universe.

You've gotta understand... I even managed to enjoy Enterprise after they got a couple of seasons in.  This is just... bad...

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 01:00:58 am »
I was fine with sending the first officer out there. It was mainly a plot point to force the encounter with the klingons, and show off some much needed exterior space shots, something that the Abrams style Star Trek has been doing.

But I must admit, I didn't like the hologram usage in this. Leave that to Star Wars. Star Trek was always about using mainly on-screen video conferencing and I don't think the usage of hologram tech should have been introduced into this series in this way.

Overall I felt the pilot was just "ok". Didn't blow me away, but I also didn't think it was bad. I didn't go into this expecting TNG or DS9, but I was expecting to see some sort of continuity with the newer Star Trek movies, which so far other than the lens flares and over abundance of dutch-angle camera shots is the only thing tied to the movies. I guess the Klingon design takes from the movies as well, but the interior of their ship felt like they were using some left-over set dressing from Quark's bar in DS9.

The first officer is somewhat intriguing of a character, I would like to see her backstory, but she's the only one so far that seems interesting. I was disappointed to see Michelle Yeoh as a "special guest" in the opening credits. I was hoping that she'd be a primary character because I'm always happy to see more lead character Asian actors.
Also, what's the story with the Daft Punk helmsman?  I hope he starts droppin some mad beats on the bridge lol :lol

I'll tune in a bit longer and give it a chance. When I first watched DS9 and Enterprise the first season was a crawl for me, but I eventually started enjoying it afterwards. I'm hoping that this picks up.

The bigger issue is CBS's stream server plug. Wth are they thinking?  Quality of their service suuuuucks, and I'm not going to pay $6/month for one show I'm on the fence about when they don't have any other programming that's even remotely interesting. I just found it annoying that they're pushing episode 2 tonight on their service, like a drug-dealer giving you the "first hit for free".  It's not that great of a pilot to hook people that easily.  Surely they must know everyone is out there pirating episode 2 now...

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 01:18:49 am »
It's supposed to take place in the prime Star Trek Universe.... which is why the cosmetic changes, particularly to the Klingons (which do NOT have ridges in this time period) make zero sense.  It's set between Enterprise and TOS.  The first officer is the main character of the series... it's been confirmed that they start on this ship... "something" happens and it gets destroyed, and then she helms the discovery.  I shouldn't have called it "the discovery" before, but for the life of me I can't remember the name of the first ship. 

Here's the thing.  I know that when TNG came on the air they changed a lot of stuff, even the makeups, people got mad but eventually it worked itself out.  The difference is it was done with care.  Yes they added forehead ridges to the Klingons, but they wore the same uniforms, flew in the same ships and were still Klingons.  These new guys almost seem like a cult and their ships look awful... just a mess of ornate garbage shapes.  The federation ship kinda sorta looks like TOS movie ships, which is about right, but the hologram tech and stuff just doesn't fit. 

They have full reign so if they wanted to do a more alien species why not make a new one instead of butchering the Klingons?  If they wanted a new look and new tech why not set it after tng, so they don't have to worm around Trek lore to avoid conflicts and plot holes?  It's lazy writing if you ask me.

Yes the beard has to grow in with any Trek series, but I can always see the potential.  With this pilot they went in such a very odd direction that I don't know if it can be saved.  maybe episode 2 will pick up... I'll watch it tomorrow.   

All access will die a quick death.  It might be they knew this series was bad, but after all the time and money they invested they were embarrassed, so they buried it on all access.  It would be a good scapegoat when the show doesn't get the typical ratings of a Trek series.   

nitrogen_widget

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 04:30:55 pm »
Missed it last night but i'll watch it this week.
The only thing I can say is the audio trailer on the radio did sound kind of cringy when i assume the woman who was the captain was talking tough.
but I wasn't seeing it so it was out of context.

for klingons - doesn't completely matter what they look like to a point as long as the culture is the same, but they look reptilian and remind me of Louis Gossett Jr.  from enemy mine.

All this trek talk makes me want to start watching DS9 or TNG again.
I think they are still on Netflix.

This CBS all access app any better than last yr?
I had tried it when some stuff was still free and it did not work well at all and even locked up my 2106 firestick.
when they turned subscription i deleted it.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:58:22 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 04:48:00 pm »
It was a tumultuous time for our nation. The clear beverage craze gave us all a reason to live.

The information superhighway showed the average person what some nerd thinks about Star Trek.

And the domestication of the dog continued unabated.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 05:31:26 pm »

for klingons - doesn't completely matter what they look like to a point as long as the culture is the same, but they look reptilian and remind me of Louis Gossett Jr.  from enemy mine.

Actually... if you know your Trek, it does.  The reason that Klingons don't have forehead ridges in TOS is because on Enterprise we discover that the Klingons steal Kahn's DNA and try to weaponize it into a Klingon super-soldier serum.  Something goes wrong and they actually create a mutagenic  virus that, cosmetically at least, turns all Klingons human.  It takes generations to breed out the genetic deformities, making them normal again.  Since this show takes place after Enterprise, they should look human.  Again, they could have easily avoided this by just setting the show in a different time period. 

Regardless, they seem to have changed their culture as well, but it'd take more episodes  to be sure. 

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2022, 07:22:35 am
  • Correct horse battery staple
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 06:25:38 pm »
Oh and now everybody communicates via Star Wars holograms, even though this series takes place BEFORE Kirk and the gang.

Considering how anachronistic the various ST series have been in the past, I'm perfectly fine with them updating the tech depicted.  I'd rather have them shoot for something a little more modern, then trying to depict a pre-TOS level of technology.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 06:47:35 pm »
Oh and now everybody communicates via Star Wars holograms, even though this series takes place BEFORE Kirk and the gang.

Considering how anachronistic the various ST series have been in the past, I'm perfectly fine with them updating the tech depicted.  I'd rather have them shoot for something a little more modern, then trying to depict a pre-TOS level of technology.

But it's "Star Wars Hologram ++"!  Where the person in the message is interacting with physical elements of the receiver. There's a shot where Sarek, surrogate father to the First Officer is in a conversation through the hologram communication and walks over and leans on a table in the room!  This was too far IMO.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 07:42:08 pm »
Yeah and that really bothered me.  The only way that'd make sense is if there was an identical table in the same exact place over on Vulcan or wherever he's at.  It's like the people writing the show don't even know how holograms work. 

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2017, 10:10:17 pm »

Actually... if you know your Trek, it does.  The reason that Klingons don't have forehead ridges in TOS is because on Enterprise we discover that the Klingons steal Kahn's DNA and try to weaponize it into a Klingon super-soldier serum.  Something goes wrong and they actually create a mutagenic  virus that, cosmetically at least, turns all Klingons human.  It takes generations to breed out the genetic deformities, making them normal again.  Since this show takes place after Enterprise, they should look human.  Again, they could have easily avoided this by just setting the show in a different time period. 

Regardless, they seem to have changed their culture as well, but it'd take more episodes  to be sure.

must have missed a few episodes of enterprise....

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2017, 01:24:17 am »
You should watch the final two seasons.. they are really good.  Mirror mirror episodes, guest appearances from Brent Spiner... its' all great.  They actually cancelled that show when it started to get good.   

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2017, 01:37:06 am »
But it's "Star Wars Hologram ++"!  Where the person in the message is interacting with physical elements of the receiver. There's a shot where Sarek, surrogate father to the First Officer is in a conversation through the hologram communication and walks over and leans on a table in the room!  This was too far IMO.

Ridiculous holographic technology is a staple of ST.  Look at all the nonsensical crap they pulled with the holodeck on TNG...

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2017, 02:26:45 am »
I don't think you aren't paying attention man. This isn't a holodeck program, it's communication between two people and yet somehow the one person can sit on a table that doesn't exist on his end. That doesn't make any logical sense.... it's like cartoon logic.  Also holodeck technology wasn't introduced in the federation until the 24th century, well before this show takes place.  It also requires... you know... a frikkin holodeck!  That is until the mobile emitter is invented in the 25th century... the one that they steal from a time traveler and give to the doctor in that one episode of voyager. 

I get the feeling perhaps you are one of those dreaded casual Star Trek fans.   Please learn the lore or gtfo. 

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2017, 09:21:13 am »
You should watch the final two seasons.. they are really good.  Mirror mirror episodes, guest appearances from Brent Spiner... its' all great.  They actually cancelled that show when it started to get good.

I missed a lot of enterprise when it aired.
I see it's on netflix.
So is DS9, started watching that from the beginning last night.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2017, 09:57:51 am »
I watched the first episode of Enterprise.  It seemed decent.  I also recall that the powers that be tried really, really, really hard to push Jolene Blalock on us as the new it girl.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:43:45 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2017, 10:06:06 am »
I liked Enterprise. They were just hitting their stride when the plug was pulled.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2017, 12:05:32 pm »
I don't think you aren't paying attention man. This isn't a holodeck program, it's communication between two people and yet somehow the one person can sit on a table that doesn't exist on his end. That doesn't make any logical sense.... it's like cartoon logic.  Also holodeck technology wasn't introduced in the federation until the 24th century, well before this show takes place.  It also requires... you know... a frikkin holodeck!  That is until the mobile emitter is invented in the 25th century... the one that they steal from a time traveler and give to the doctor in that one episode of voyager.

I'm not talking about the context of the technology within the show itself.  I'm talking about the illogic of the technology as depicted.  Depictions of the Holodeck are just as guilty of cartoon logic as someone leaning on a desk during  a holographic communication.

If people are going to start nitpicking technology on these shows, they are a long time guilty of stuff that just makes no sense.

I get the feeling perhaps you are one of those dreaded casual Star Trek fans.   Please learn the lore or gtfo.

Admittedly the only series I ever watched in its entirety was TNG, although I am working my way through DS9 (a far better series than TNG ever was).

I just think a lot of stuff depicted on the show is silly, which is I don't understand why people nitpick the show.  Sometimes you just have to turn your brain off and accept that things in sci-fi don't make any logical sense.  TNG taught me that over and over.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 12:10:25 pm by shponglefan »

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2017, 01:12:28 pm »
yes.... holograms... let's talk about that for a second.

for a series whose timeline is set BEFORE Captain Kirk and the original Star Trek series.... why do we have infinitely more advanced technology?

put this series way after so that talking to communication holograms fits in and seems to flow with the rest of the series or make it "period correct"

I get they need to make it appeal to the people watching, but... all they are doing is pushing away the old crowd and trying to appeal the show to the new "hip crowd".

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2017, 02:19:21 pm »

Ridiculous holographic technology is a staple of ST.  Look at all the nonsensical crap they pulled with the holodeck on TNG...

You are missing the point. The timeline of technology doesn't make sense in the canon of the Star Trek Universe.  And it does matter to people who have been following these shows since they're supposed to link up to it's "chrono-logistics", otherwise it pulls you out of the universe they've built and distracts you from what's happen at that time.  For me it distracted the whole pep-talk dialogue that Sarek was giving.

I'm not talking about the context of the technology within the show itself.  I'm talking about the illogic of the technology as depicted.  Depictions of the Holodeck are just as guilty of cartoon logic as someone leaning on a desk during  a holographic communication.

If people are going to start nitpicking technology on these shows, they are a long time guilty of stuff that just makes no sense.
Yes, sure...but it was consistent!  By introducing more advanced technology in a time period that is supposed to be the past doesn't make sense in the show's universe! 

The core basis of sci-fi is to build a fantasy that follows along a created set of "rules" and "themes". Good sci-fi sticks to these rules and are able to create a believable universe for stories to be told in.  But this show has broken their rules already, which is what we're all talking about here. If you don't keep the integrity of the universe you create, you end up losing the audience because they don't know where the boundaries are for that show's "reality".

Would you like it if Star Wars started using transport technology?

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2017, 02:21:28 pm »
I watched the first episode of Enterprise.  It seemed decent.  I also recall that the powers that be tried really, really, really hard to push Jolene Blalock on us as the new it girl.
How could you tell?  It's not like there was a gratuitous lotion rubbing scene in the first episode or anything...  :o

DrakeTungsten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2022, 06:36:45 pm
  • I effed with the wrong person!
    • No Quarter - a basic FE, WIP
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2017, 03:56:21 pm »
Yeah and that really bothered me.  The only way that'd make sense is if there was an identical table in the same exact place over on Vulcan or wherever he's at.  It's like the people writing the show don't even know how holograms work.
This was in the new show? I never watched any of the post-60s shows, and one of the reasons is the the first scene I caught of one of them was just such a stupid misunderstanding of holograms. Someone later tried to explain to me something about "hard light", but it was likely as not a post-hoc cover-up of a monumental blunder.
Quote from: opt2not
By introducing more advanced technology in a time period that is supposed to be the past doesn't make sense in the show's universe! 
A wizard did it.

Or hypertime.

Or Kirk was old-fashioned and eschewed the use of holograms even though the tech was available to him.

Does anybody who hasn't studied volumes of ST reference manuals know when hologram tech was introduced?
No Quarter - a basic FE, WIP

dkersten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2017, 06:08:50 pm »
I have to agree that given how many times the other series have pushed the viewers well out of the envelope of "suspense of disbelief", that picking on it in this iteration is somewhat hypocritical.  Good sci-fi will indeed explain away seemingly impossible things with pseudo science and a good back story and keep your disbelief suspended, but when was the last time you found "good sci-fi" on TV?

That being said, I can understand extreme fans of a universe not liking when established canon is broken. 

The good news is, there is a better "star trek like" show out there to keep you entertained.  Hell, I haven't watched either and I am entertained by all the memes out there making fun of the new series...

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2017, 02:35:08 am »
I get the feeling you don't understand what suspension of belief is.  The concept relies on the fact that the more fantastical the situation, the more the universe must be grounded in reality via a consistent set of rules, even if those rules are completely fictional.  Spaceships and weird aliens only work because the spaceships and weird aliens and all their fantastical lore and culture are consistent from one iteration to the next.  The show runners made it clear that this wasn't supposed to be a reboot and yet they've broken so much canon that it definitely is.  I mean they've got Sarek playing the part of Obi Wan... a frikkin Vulcan.

I watched the second episode hoping it would get better and... well it's better than the first episode in terms of action, but sadly plot takes a nose dive.  Apparently Vulcans are now magic and can telepathically communicate with someone light years apart.  Cloaking technology is supposed to be new, even though it was on Enterprise and photon torpedoes fit in your hand even though they are so large that Spock was frikkin buried in one in Star Trek II, the most famous of the Trek movies.  See that isn't even obscure trivia... any casual viewer would know that.   

The whole thing about these Klingons mounting caskets to the hull in some sort of egyptian-esque ceremony.... that's in complete opposition to Klingon culture.  In a Klingon death ritual the eyes are opened, they yell at the sky to warn Stovokor that a Klingon warrior is about to arrive (which to be fair they kind of did) BUT then the body is discarded like garbage because they consider it nothing but an empty husk.  Klingons don't entomb their dead and they don't bother to recover corpses on the battlefield.

Oh and the plot of the upcoming season?  Discovery is some kind of prison work camp ship where #1 is an elite soldier and they are on a secret mission to take out the enemy.  Guess what?  We already had that plot on Enterprise and people hated it so much that we didn't get another series for 12 years. 

I mean is it that hard to do a new Star Trek series that isn't crap?  Seth McFarlane seems to be doing it and he's kind of a moron.  All you have to do is follow the TNG formula, only with a new crew and new adventures.  If you are too dumb to take into account canon, just set it after the TNG movies and you barely have to worry about it anymore. 

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2017, 04:22:58 am »
 :banghead: Yep, after watching episode 2, they lost me. I have the sinking feeling that this show isn't coming back for a second season.   :embarassed: And I really wanted to dive into a new Star Trek series. I guess I'll keep watching this season, but for damn sure I'm not paying for it.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2017, 09:57:31 am »
:banghead: Yep, after watching episode 2, they lost me. I have the sinking feeling that this show isn't coming back for a second season.   :embarassed: And I really wanted to dive into a new Star Trek series. I guess I'll keep watching this season, but for damn sure I'm not paying for it.

Still haven't seen it. no time.

I didn't realize until last night they only showed the first episode on broadcast and the rest was only accessible through their app.
That you have to pay for.
Is this their first attempt at this sort of thing?
It works for Netflix however some of the shows Netflix created are good.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2017, 10:32:01 am »
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2017, 10:34:22 am »
Actually, I agree with you guys. If you’re going to create an installment in an existing universe/franchise, you need to play by the existing rules - or else die-hard fans will notice, and they should be your target audience.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2017, 10:39:31 am »
exactly. at this point in time, they may has well created a completely new franchise. Trying to shoehorn this into a world that has already been established is just going to wreck it.

I'm reading comments elsewhere that say pretty much the same thing. still waiting for the youtube autists to post videos explaining how this new show fits completely and perfectly well into the Trek universe and explain away all the shortcomings as "X rule hasn't been established yet, so here it okay.".

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2017, 11:20:22 am »
Rogue One was a great example of how to do it right. All though the SW prequels we get Jedi doing ninja flips at hyper speed, but at the end, when Vader is cutting a swath of fury through the corridors of the rebel ship, he moves exactly as you would expect him to based on what we know about him. It's a perfect ending that fits the existing notion of that universe.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2017, 11:44:35 am »
You are missing the point. The timeline of technology doesn't make sense in the canon of the Star Trek Universe.  And it does matter to people who have been following these shows since they're supposed to link up to it's "chrono-logistics", otherwise it pulls you out of the universe they've built and distracts you from what's happen at that time.  For me it distracted the whole pep-talk dialogue that Sarek was giving.

Oh, I get it believe me.  I just can let things like that slide for reasons I'll get into below.

Yes, sure...but it was consistent!  By introducing more advanced technology in a time period that is supposed to be the past doesn't make sense in the show's universe! 

The core basis of sci-fi is to build a fantasy that follows along a created set of "rules" and "themes". Good sci-fi sticks to these rules and are able to create a believable universe for stories to be told in.  But this show has broken their rules already, which is what we're all talking about here. If you don't keep the integrity of the universe you create, you end up losing the audience because they don't know where the boundaries are for that show's "reality".

I have two lines of thought on this:

The first is that invariably Star Trek series are a product of their time.  Everything from the production and special effects, to the writing is a consequence of the period in which these shows are created.  I did a complete TNG re-watch last year and was amazed at how dated it feels now.  Particularly what we know of modern technology and society and how certain aspects of the show feel less modern and more like they just transplanted the 80's into the 24th century.

So I fully expect each new ST series to be reflective of the current age in which it is developed.  And this can include things like updating special effects, particularly to include things to appeal to modern audiences.

The second is that prior Star Treks are not entirely consistent in how they depict technology.  The reason I pick on TNG and the Holodeck in particular is because it is inconsistent in how its depicted over the seasons.  For example, in the very first episode they make a big show of demonstrating the physical boundaries of the Holodeck.  In later episodes, that's completely forgotten.  Likewise, they don't show any consistency in how matter created on the Holodeck is depicted either when it comes to being removed from the Holodeck.  Yes this is nitpicking, but if we are going to nitpick about how things are supposed to work within the 'rules' of what is being depicted, then there are plenty of violations of that pre-Discovery.

But generally I'm content to ignore such things lest it otherwise ruin the experience.  People who get overly hyped up over the way something is depicted in a TV show need to just remind themselves that it's completely fictional to begin with.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 11:46:21 am by shponglefan »

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2017, 11:55:05 am »
All you have to do is follow the TNG formula, only with a new crew and new adventures.

I'd rather have them rehash DS9's formula than TNG.  TNG's plot-of-the-week storytelling was too primitive and problematic.  Give me continuity please.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 11:56:44 am by shponglefan »

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2017, 01:05:43 pm »
Rogue One was a great example of how to do it right.

Really?  That movie was freaking terrible.  I agree that the end with Vader was cool, though.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:43:45 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2017, 01:17:37 pm »
Serialized TV shows often get trapped by their own narrative. Good stories are often ruined because writers have to move the plot along. Star Trek is the perfect vehicle for new stories every week.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2017, 05:00:59 pm »
I know people who refuse to watch South Park now because they don't like the whole-season story arc concept of the past few seasons.

They prefer the old self contained half hour of entertainment.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2017, 05:19:44 pm »
So, I used to walk to a video store 20+ years ago to rent South Park VHS tapes because our cable company refused to carry Viacom.  Had never seen anything like it.

A few years later, I was watching them at work.  We'd make a party out of it each week.  That was in the Lemmiwinks era of peak South Park

Point being, I've been there since the beginning... the old self-contained stories were fun, but it meant most of their episodes had some lazy ending where an alien or monster or something shows up.  The multiple episode story arcs were a nice change up.

Now I quit watching it because it's horrible.  I didn't even make it 10 minutes into the season premier.

:'(

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2017, 09:08:36 pm »
Ok, i watched it.
Both episodes.
keep in mind the most i know about this show is what i read here and i'm on my second pitcher of homebrew. Without dinner.
But don't worry i have ground turkey, salsa, rice, cheese and many spices I plan to bake for 20 mins. at 350 degrees, so dinner is close. :)

Started out with too much bantering, casual dialogue, and bubblyness for what i expect from star trek felt there was more formality in Down Periscope.
Once chit got real with the klingons it straightened up.
Why does a chic have a dudes name?

Klingons - their decorating style reminds me of stargate.How do a bunch of Bro's even manage technology beyond big sticks yet alone star ships? Oh they are warrior cast which means there is a less than warrior cast who builds their stuff and they somehow don't kill them while they are doing it because klingons can't stand weaklings.
 Also i'm sure it wasn't a mistake the white guy is the minority and considered scum to the black klingons. bleh.
As for their look - I cannot place it but they look like something i've seen before somewhere in some fantasy/sci-fi thing. I don't hate it but how do you even fight in all that spangly crap?
The whole religious culture of Klingon is different. but I don't have too much of an issue with it since zealots rise and fall so religion can be gone fairly quick far as i'm concerned.

holograms - the writers past star trek's stated they wanted to do holograms but the screen was cheaper. they got more $$$ if they came up with an excuse why we don't see holo comunicators later on like they caused brain cancer or sterility i'm golden with that. :) but i'm not a purist. I lost my purity when Run DMC covered AC/DC.

things that annoyed me:
chick with dude name.
majority of male's doesn't seem to have a nut-sack except the admiral. If Abraham from Hell Boy became part of the crew he would quadruple the testosterone level of the ship.
That red heads eye brows. WTF?
100lb old asian chick blocking a 210 klingon's weapon swing and NOT flying backwards. yeah I don't care if she was crouching tiger hidden dragon, she didn't have no magic sword with her on this away mission.

Things that made me lol:
The shielding that apparently requires a human sacrifice before it kick's on and contains the atmosphere.

I can see how the purists would have issues with this like the purists have issues with most comic book moves but i'm a mouth breather.
I didn't think it was horrible and will watch if I can find it online for free because it seems like the first two episodes have nothing much to do with the rest of the series based on previews other than to be an origin story.

fyi i'm kinda drunk.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2017, 11:21:03 pm »
 Best post around here in weeks.

:applaud: